Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

First I’ve heard of Oliver, initial impression is he’s a 4 who can hit a pretty decent mid range shot. Looks to be pretty athletic (who’s to know if the leg bothers him) just doesn’t seem like the type of player we need to be going after though. And that’s not a knock on him at all.

Yeah, I know I shouldn't doubt the coaches evals. I just don't love what I see, so far.
I get that...he’s largely an unknown due to recently coming to the states and missing AAU because of an injury, Barnes went and saw him and offered him on the spot, so I’m putting quite a bit of stock in that. He may pan out and he may not, if he doesn’t then like most he’ll probably transfer out...this is all obviously assuming we land him.

I'm just not wowed by the competition in the footage I've seen. I keep telling myself this is the same coach who correctly evaluated Grant Williams, so he has my trust. With Williams, the footage affirmed to me that he belonged. I don't see a lot to get excited about with ORN. I want to be wrong, though.
No that's totally fair. I agree about wanting to trust Barnes and staff because of Grant, though. I'll be intrigued to see if they pursue any grad transfer guys or not.

Reactions: cardvolfan
No that's totally fair. I agree about wanting to trust Barnes and staff because of Grant, though. I'll be intrigued to see if they pursue any grad transfer guys or not.

Another possibility. Barnes has his contract and it's solid until he retires. He's just going to sign kids that he knows will respond to his coaching. He's just not going to go after these 4 and 5 star players who are going to be high maintenance and difficult to manage. I guess we need to start accepting the reality we're going to have good teams every 2-3 years?

Reactions: Big time vol
Another possibility. Barnes has his contract and it's solid until he retires. He's just going to sign kids that he knows will respond to his coaching. He's just not going to go after these 4 and 5 star players who are going to be high maintenance and difficult to manage. I guess we need to start accepting the reality we're going to have good teams every 2-3 years?

Why should we accept the reality of “your opinion?”

Tennessee has a 5 star coming in and a possible high 4 star for 2019. Tennessee will also have at least 1 very high 4 star for 2020.

Not sure how you are getting to your assumption. Barnes is recruiting 4 and 5 star players, and now Tennessee is more attractive to those players.

Tennessee has a 5 star coming in and a possible high 4 star for 2019. Tennessee will also have at least 1 very high 4 star for 2020.

Not sure how you are getting to your assumption. Barnes is recruiting 4 and 5 star players, and now Tennessee is more attractive to those players.

Did you miss the word "possibility" and the "?" at the end of the last sentence? Simply a case of wondering about his thought process when it comes to some 4 and 5 star players. If he's going to go that route and avoid those players, more power to him, but if a portion of the roster is made up of "projects" who will need a couple of years to develop, it stands to reason that we'll end up have to wait for those particular players to reach maturity in order to make deep runs.

What’s your definition of a good team?

Did you miss the word "possibility" and the "?" at the end of the last sentence? Simply a case of wondering about his thought process when it comes to some 4 and 5 star players. If he's going to go that route and avoid those players, more power to him, but if a portion of the roster is made up of "projects" who will need a couple of years to develop, it stands to reason that we'll end up have to wait for those particular players to reach maturity in order to make deep runs.

I think we can all agree the projects on this roster were ready to play by their sophomore years, right? Bone, Turner, Bowden and Williams were all sophomores last year when we got a 3 seed, so why are you acting like it took 3-4 years to develop those guys?

Also, you’re assuming nobody behind them develops? You look at our roster this year and it was mainly juniors and seniors next year, ideally you graduate your seniors and your sophomores take a step and become your juniors ready to play. Those guys develop as the 6-13 guys on the bench their first 2 years and then take on a much bigger role as upperclassmen, his wlimages those 1 good run every 3-4 years you’re speaking about.

There was no “possibly” in the last sentence. There was a question mark, but no question.

No doubt, if Tennessee lands the same type players that build this past team, there will be development years.

I could be wrong but I think Barnes has to start at Tennessee that way......by building. Hopefully now he can consistently land recruits that can keep Tennessee consistent to good every year.

There was no “possibly” in the last sentence. There was a question mark, but no question.

No doubt, if Tennessee lands the same type players that build this past team, there will be development years.

I could be wrong but I think Barnes has to start at Tennessee that way......by building. Hopefully now he can consistently land recruits that can keep Tennessee consistent to good every year.

My point being...will he be able to recruit enough higher level players to make us a year in year out contender or will it be those years where the projects reach maturity to combine with the better players that we have to look forward to? And I didn't say "possibly". I was referencing my comment about another "possibility".

Reactions: cardvolfan
I think we can all agree the projects on this roster were ready to play by their sophomore years, right? Bone, Turner, Bowden and Williams were all sophomores last year when we got a 3 seed, so why are you acting like it took 3-4 years to develop those guys?

Also, you’re assuming nobody behind them develops? You look at our roster this year and it was mainly juniors and seniors next year, ideally you graduate your seniors and your sophomores take a step and become your juniors ready to play. Those guys develop as the 6-13 guys on the bench their first 2 years and then take on a much bigger role as upperclassmen, his wlimages those 1 good run every 3-4 years you’re speaking about.

Hope you're correct. We're likely heading into the season with Turner and Bowden as somewhat proven. Behind them is a huge question mark. The rising juniors haven't really shown much.

My point being...will he be able to recruit enough higher level players to make us a year in year out contender or will it be those years where the projects reach maturity to combine with the better players that we have to look forward to? And I didn't say "possibly". I was referencing my comment about another "possibility".

I think Barnes can; however Tennessee cannot become a real good program in 4 years. Certainly Tennessee can become a good team in one year or any year. However to actually change the program takes time. Tennessee has had two good seasons in a row, and if Tennessee can keep building on that Barnes can certainly get Tennessee to become an sec contender year in and year out (for the most part). With the good seasons and building comes better recruits, with those come less “building time” which can lead to quicker and then more consistent success. Also you have to have stability for that to happen and I think now Tennessee has that.

Hope you're correct. We're likely heading into the season with Turner and Bowden as somewhat proven. Behind them is a huge question mark. The rising juniors haven't really shown much.

You’re right they haven’t, but I’m not going to automatically declare them as nothing either.

They seem to fit the Barnse's mold. They don't have to be 2-3 stars to have the right stuff Barnes is looking for.

Reactions: Catbone
If Turner and Bowden are only “somewhat “ proven then what’s required to be completely proven? Those 2 are in the rotation with significant minutes on every SEC team IMHO.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Being told that Rick Barnes and the Tennessee staff will be in Memphis next Wednesday to see Matthew Murrell (2020) and Kennedy Chandler (2021).</p>&mdash; John Martin (@JohnMartin929) <a href="">April 25, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I find it very interesting that is now plentiful with this staff.

The first couple years we had next to zero recruiting info. The staff was stealth like. Now we know much more much sooner

I think most of that relates to caliber of prospect and interest they draw as a recruit...look at the recruitment of Olivier Robinson-Nkamhoua, a lot don’t even know we are recruiting him, and the staff is perfectly fine with that. But a guy like Keon Johnson or Matthew Murrell is probably getting 4-5 calls a week for interviews from media and therefore that info is getting out.

Reactions: jp1
I think most of that relates to caliber of prospect and interest they draw as a recruit...look at the recruitment of Olivier Robinson-Nkamhoua, a lot don’t even know we are recruiting him, and the staff is perfectly fine with that. But a guy like Keon Johnson or Matthew Murrell is probably getting 4-5 calls a week for interviews from media and therefore that info is getting out.

Sure I get that and agree but heck two years ago many thought Barnes never left Knoxville. He's all over the place now. I think they want us to know they are out busting it now

Sure I get that and agree but heck two years ago many thought Barnes never left Knoxville. He's all over the place now. I think they want us to know they are out busting it now
I posted many links to the contrary back then as well, that was never true...much like what I said in my OP it’s also that the “Tennessee Image” now is worth more. I mentioned this 3-4 years ago when people were making those comments, they would quote a reporter at an EYBL event and say why isn’t Tennessee listed? Fact is nobody lists 351 schools in their tweet, Tennessee wasn’t sexy 3-4 years ago but they are now. When a prospect mentions Tennessee it catches people’s attention and sells clicks now way more than it used to.

Reactions: gunner and Yeiser10
I posted many links to the contrary back then as well, that was never true...much like what I said in my OP it’s also that the “Tennessee Image” now is worth more. I mentioned this 3-4 years ago when people were making those comments, they would quote a reporter at an EYBL event and say why isn’t Tennessee listed? Fact is nobody lists 351 schools in their tweet, Tennessee wasn’t sexy 3-4 years ago but they are now. When a prospect mentions Tennessee it catches people’s attention and sells clicks now way more than it used to.

Oh yea I know it wasn't true I am just saying I think the staff has come to an understanding that allowing folks to know where they are more now than before is a win win for everyone. Before I think they wanted to be secretive

VN Store

Back