He is not worth 5 million a year

When Cal got his money for yet another sub par year everyone else had to up the game. It’s called market value. Either pay Barnes and keep the program stable or let him leave and b-ball goes into the gutter and starts over again.
Well it’s like I said I like Barnes and since it isn’t my money I don’t care he got a raise. Do I think he deserved one? No. Don’t know why so many people around here have to cry so hard when others opinions don’t agree with theirs. Not talking about you, just others who act like petulant little children if your opinion isn’t exactly what theirs is . WAH WAH WAH WAH!!!!!! That’s all I can think of with some of these folks.

You pretty much just described Calipari
Yeah, minus a national championship... heck I’d settle for a final 4.. big difference between uk and ut in basketball and I know that, but I also can’t compare a guy who has won a national championship at his current school to a guy who hasn’t gone past the sweet sixteen.

Reactions: 08Vol and treali94
so by your own logic does that mean coach Barnes should have got this significant raise last year since he far exceeded preseason expectations?
You could see it that way, or by your own facts he had no business being paid second highest in sec when picked to finish almost dead last. I don’t know why everyone keeps talking about last year. I don’t have a problem with Barnes... I think he is solid, sorry if I don’t just worship the ground he walks on.

Yes you were wrong

Barnes was 3rd in pay. Buzz williams makes 3.8mil at A&m
Thought Barnes made 4 mill? Also could of sworn he was already second highest paid coach among sec. if wrong I certainly apologize. Still doesn’t change the stance he didn’t deserve a raise in my eyes. Again it’s just my opinion, try not to get upset

Well it’s like I said I like Barnes and since it isn’t my money I don’t care he got a raise. Do I think he deserved one? No. Don’t know why so many people around here have to cry so hard when others opinions don’t agree with theirs. Not talking about you, just others who act like petulant little children if your opinion isn’t exactly what theirs is . WAH WAH WAH WAH!!!!!! That’s all I can think of with some of these folks.

It's weird...you say something like the above (bold) but then keep on trying to "win" an argument that's purely subjective...

You could see it that way, or by your own facts he had no business being paid second highest in sec when picked to finish almost dead last. I don’t know why everyone keeps talking about last year. I don’t have a problem with Barnes... I think he is solid, sorry if I don’t just worship the ground he walks on.
They did? So they were the 2 seed in sec tournament?

Thought Barnes made 4 mill? Also could of sworn he was already second highest paid coach among sec. if wrong I certainly apologize. Still doesn’t change the stance he didn’t deserve a raise in my eyes. Again it’s just my opinion, try not to get upset

Barnes was making in low 3s. I think 3.4.

Buzz williams is a hell of a coach but doesn't deserve more than Barnes at this point

It's weird...you say something like the above (bold) but then keep on trying to "win" an argument that's purely subjective...
Nope, follow my convo back a few posts.. I simply stated my opinion originally, then I had to try and simply defend my position from those who would attack it.

They did? So they were the 2 seed in sec tournament?
You said they finished 3rd. They finished 2nd. They were seeded 3rd. There is a difference. You cant have two #2 seeds in the tourney. Its quite simple

So yes, you stated something that wasnt true.

I like Barnes. Hes a solid coach who brings a good product and brings stability to Tenn. I dont get why there is so much Butt Hurt over his raise. Yall aint paying it!

And the argument that we could get a Jay Wright or another top tier coach for 4.7 Million is stupid. What do you think those schools would do if TN went at their coach with 4.7 Million? They would do the same thing TN just did and give their coach a raise to stay.

The butt hurtedness around here needs to stop

You said they finished 3rd. They finished 2nd. They were seeded 3rd. There is a difference. You cant have two #2 seeds in the tourney. Its quite simple

So yes, you stated something that wasnt true.

I like Barnes. Hes a solid coach who brings a good product and brings stability to Tenn. I dont get why there is so much Butt Hurt over his raise. Yall aint paying it!

And the argument that we could get a Jay Wright or another top tier coach for 4.7 Million is stupid. What do you think those schools would do if TN went at their coach with 4.7 Million? They would do the same thing TN just did and give their coach a raise to stay.

The butt hurtedness around here needs to stop
Literally read a couple of posts back of mine in this very thread.. I said it isn’t my money and I don’t mind he got the raise, also that I like Barnes. The butt hurt isn’t with me, it’s with people like you who just can’t stand it if everyone’s opinion isn’t just like yours. Grow the **** up.

I mean I don't think there's a better coach we could have gotten than Barnes for the money we're paying him.

Reactions: JoAllan
Literally read a couple of posts back of mine in this very thread.. I said it isn’t my money and I don’t mind he got the raise, also that I like Barnes. The butt hurt isn’t with me, it’s with people like you who just can’t stand it if everyone’s opinion isn’t just like yours. Grow the **** up.

To be fair Alex, this was your first contribution to the thread...and it sounds supppppper butthurt fellow.

Non sense!! We are lowely Tennessee!! You cannot expect tangible accomplishments here!!! You must be happy, nay thrilled with winning trivial things such as a lot of regular season games in a tournament sport!! Forget that the university makes a killing from a huge and great fanbase, you still are a fool for expecting tangible results. Instead I would advise you to start to learn to enjoy the participation trophy stuff like the champs of life slogan or winning a bunch of regular season games with a consensus top 10 team. Otherwise you will be attacked mercilessly on this board.

Ahh...the old grow up statement. I deal with that with my kids. Good times.
No reason to get all pi$$y man. You can disagree all you want. Just like I did with you. Just dont get all bent out of shape when you ask me to prove you wrong, and I do. They finished 2nd. Big deal. I see your point.....I just don't agree.

If we're gonna pay $5 million a year, we might as well offer it to Tom Izzo, Tony Bennett, Bill Self, Chris Mack, Roy Williams, Jay Wright or Mark Few. None of them make over $4.2 million a year. One of them might just take it. Now I don't believe for a minute any of them would, but is Rick Barnes really worth that much? For $5 mil, I want some Final Fours and National Champions.

Late to the party, but just wanted to point something out here...buyouts

Tom Izzo - 5.3 million
Tony Bennett - 19.8 million
Bill Self - 16.1 million
Chris Mack - 12 million
Roy Williams - 8.8 million
Jay Wright - (unlisted)
Mark Few - (unlisted) also this dude is only making 1.8 a year? :O

Ahh...the old grow up statement. I deal with that with my kids. Good times.
No reason to get all pi$$y man. You can disagree all you want. Just like I did with you. Just dont get all bent out of shape when you ask me to prove you wrong, and I do. They finished 2nd. Big deal. I see your point.....I just don't agree.
I’m not pissy bud, you said I was butt hurt and you didn’t understand it because it wasn’t my money. I posted in this thread that I did not mind that Barnes got a raise and that it wasn’t my money. It’s ok man I deal with it on a daily basis. Just don’t get upset about it.

The main comparison is 2 coaches that were given huge raises for showing potential then flirting with other schools. For once I would like to see UT reward actual success instead of paying up front with the hope it will result in success.

They are a hard comparison to make in that football success is more measured by regular season accomplishments while basketball is measured by tournament accomplishments. Also there isn’t a basketball version of Alabama/Saban. Calipari and Pearl will be remembered as good/great coaches while Saban will be considered the greatest CFB coach ever.
The biggest issue with your comparison is that it assumes that Barnes and Butch are in a similar point in their careers when in fact, Barnes has had multiple years of success at multiple schools in four major conferences in what will amount to a HOF career when all is said and done, while Butch has had 2 years of success in a major conference.

It's an apples and orangutans comparison.

Exactly. Barnes was the 15th highest paid coach this year. His team finish tied for sixteenth in the tournament. How does that earn a raise? He was already getting elite coach money for non-elite results.

Reactions: 08Vol
The biggest issue with your comparison is that it assumes that Barnes and Butch are in a similar point in their careers when in fact, Barnes has had multiple years of success at multiple schools in four major conferences in what will amount to a HOF career when all is said and done, while Butch has had 2 years of success in a major conference.

It's an apples and orangutans comparison.

Except that the only thing that separates Barnes from Butch is the final four. Let’s be clear Barnes has never advanced beyond the S16 at any school but Texas. This site ***** non stop on Calipari but he literally has taken every single school he coached to the final four.

Exactly. Barnes was the 15th highest paid coach this year. His team finish tied for sixteenth in the tournament. How does that earn a raise? He was already getting elite coach money for non-elite results.

Well complain for years if you want. HE GOT it and there’s nothing you Barnes haters can do about it. Heck I would just as soon you people find a new team. Go be a Vandy fan boy and complain and moan over there.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
You pretty much just described Calipari
What an embarrassing claim. Calipari has been to five final fours since Barnes last went. Calipari has been to the final four the same number of times that Barnes has been to the S16. Think about that for a second. His average finish is better than the elite eight. That’s the kind of performance you break the bank for.

Except that the only thing that separates Barnes from Butch is the final four. Let’s be clear Barnes has never advanced beyond the S16 at any school but Texas. This site ***** non stop on Calipari but he literally has taken every single school he coached to the final four.

This year Barnes team finished inside the top 10 something Butch never accomplished, this season Barnes had his team in the SEC championship, again something Butch never could accomplish. This year Barnes won coach of the year, something Butch could not do, last year Barnes won the sec, again something Butch could never accomplish, Butch had 4 and 5 star plyers and couldn’t do anything with them. Barnes took 3 star players and improved every year so far.

So the only thing that separates them is certainly not JUST a final four........as I have just proven with facts.

Last edited:
Reactions: MoCo_Vol

VN Store

Back