He is not worth 5 million a year

I am taking this as sarcasm and I sincerely hope it is.

Cuonzo is a mediocre coach.
Barnes is a HOF coach.
And Im assuming you are referring to Pearl....he gave TN pretty much no choice but to fire him because he's a liar.

I’m taking this as senility because it doesn’t actually address the salient claim that whatever success Barnes had a Texas and boy was it decades ago his performance at Tennessee has been inarguably the same as Martin (3 tourney wins- none over single digit seeds each). Mediocrity at its finest.

Reactions: 08Vol
I’m taking this as senility because it doesn’t actually address the salient claim that whatever success Barnes had a Texas and boy was it decades ago his performance at Tennessee has been inarguably the same as Martin (3 tourney wins- none over single digit seeds each). Mediocrity at its finest.
So you take out the facts to support your claims? Thats not senility. Thats pure politician.

If they are both mediocre, how did Mizzou do in the tourney? What was their average ranking this year? How was their attendance?

I swear...the few, very few, Cuonzo supporters around here are absurd at best. Irrational is a better word.

PS: one of Martin's wins was a play in game. Not even really a tourney game. That team should have been around a 4 seed at worst. But they had CM as their coach

Reactions: Vols410
To throw in my two cents, a lot of people decided years ago that Iowa overpaid their football coach, Ferentz. Perhaps - but in doing so, they secured competitive football. That's how I view the Barnes contract. His accomplishments say he's overpaid, but it was necessary to keep him, and we secured competitive basketball.

So you take out the facts to support your claims? Thats not senility. Thats pure politician.

If they are both mediocre, how did Mizzou do in the tourney? What was their average ranking this year? How was their attendance?

I swear...the few, very few, Cuonzo supporters around here are absurd at best. Irrational is a better word.

PS: one of Martin's wins was a play in game. Not even really a tourney game. That team should have been around a 4 seed at worst. But they had CM as their coach

A play in game against an eleven seed. You know how many teams ranked better than an eleven seed Barnes has beat in the past eight years. Uno. I’m not a Marin supporter I’m an opponent of overpaying mediocrity. You keep trying to change the argument because deep down you know paying Rick Barnes like Bill Self is an abomination.

To throw in my two cents, a lot of people decided years ago that Iowa overpaid their football coach, Ferentz. Perhaps - but in doing so, they secured competitive football. That's how I view the Barnes contract. His accomplishments say he's overpaid, but it was necessary to keep him, and we secured competitive basketball.

Farentz is the 17th highest paid football coach. The 17th highest paid basketball coach makes 3 million a year so basically not even 70 percent of what Barnes will make. Barnes was already the 15th highest paid coach so higher than farentz and we gave him a 2 million dollar raise. In other words Barnes salary pre-raise was 15. His best finish at Tennessee is the sweet sixteen- seems like he hasn’t even earned the original money.

Farentz is the 17th highest paid football coach. The 17th highest paid basketball coach makes 3 million a year so basically not even 70 percent of what Barnes will make. Barnes was already the 15th highest paid coach so higher than farentz and we gave him a 2 million dollar raise. In other words Barnes salary pre-raise was 15. His best finish at Tennessee is the sweet sixteen- seems like he hasn’t even earned the original money.
Barnes resurrected a program that was at Dumpster Fire status. And he was offered 4.7 to keep him here, because of the offer UCLA made and keep the program from suffering another catastrophic downgrade. He's earned every penny.

Barnes resurrected a program that was at Dumpster Fire status. And he was offered 4.7 to keep him here, because of the offer UCLA made and keep the program from suffering another catastrophic downgrade. He's earned every penny.

It’s stuff like this which is why you aren’t making the hiring and firing decisions at work. Barnes hasn’t lifted us from anything seeing as how we likely won’t win 16 games next year. That’s how many games dumpster fire Tyndall won. It’s also more games than 5 million dollar man Barnes won in his first two seasons here.

A play in game against an eleven seed. You know how many teams ranked better than an eleven seed Barnes has beat in the past eight years. Uno. I’m not a Marin supporter I’m an opponent of overpaying mediocrity. You keep trying to change the argument because deep down you know paying Rick Barnes like Bill Self is an abomination.
Im not arguing about the pay. Im arguing about the morons who claim Cuonzo is as good as Barnes. Cuonzo coached in a very weak SEC leaague. Its drastically improved since Barnes arrived.
Its like saying my intramural team in college is just as good as Virginia this year because we both won our championships. Idiotic argument.

But while you are discussing pay, Id bet my house that if Barnes left, you would also be complaining that TN won't pony up the $$$ for a coach.

Reactions: feathersax
Cuonzo will be ran out of Missouri soon any way.

Or else, he’ll leave on his own again before they can fire him.

That’s 3 schools in a row he’s been awful at but hey, he’s still a good coach right? Lol

It’s stuff like this which is why you aren’t making the hiring and firing decisions at work. Barnes hasn’t lifted us from anything seeing as how we likely won’t win 16 games next year. That’s how many games dumpster fire Tyndall won. It’s also more games than 5 million dollar man Barnes won in his first two seasons here.
Dumpster Fire status is when your program is in such a mess that the media brands you as racist, you've changed coaches like your socks and top 100 recruits won't visit much less sign with you. That's what Barnes walked into and his first season had a front court of Reese and Moore. His second season had a core of 3 star freshmen starters.

$2m raise?

The worth of anything is set by supply and demand.

What someone is willing to pay makes that thing worth that amount.

Ucla set Barnes worth and Texas A&M hiring a coach that has done less for more than Barnes also set the market.

The worth of anything is set by supply and demand.

What someone is willing to pay makes that thing worth that amount.

Ucla set Barnes worth and Texas A&M hiring a coach that has done less for more than Barnes also set the market.

I remember when gasoline first topped $2.00 per gallon and I was complaining. An older gentleman asked if I thought gas wasn't worth the price and I replied "hell no it isn't". The gentleman replied "try walking everywhere you want to go and see if that changes your mind". The worth of anything is all a matter of prespective. Is Barnes worth 5 million? Hell no! But I am sure glad we are overpaying the man!

I remember when gasoline first topped $2.00 per gallon and I was complaining. An older gentleman asked if I thought gas wasn't worth the price and I replied "hell no it isn't". The gentleman replied "try walking everywhere you want to go and see if that changes your mind". The worth of anything is all a matter of prespective. Is Barnes worth 5 million? Hell no! But I am sure glad we are overpaying the man!

Good post. Spot on

Really Treali. If you're going to TROLL the board do us a favor and at least come back with some FACTS instead of what you dreamed in your latest Meth high.

Reactions: PandamoniumReigns
Cuonzo will be ran out of Missouri soon any way.

Or else, he’ll leave on his own again before they can fire him.

That’s 3 schools in a row he’s been awful at but hey, he’s still a good coach right? Lol

THANK YOU. Dude had top 25 talent his 2nd and 3rd year here and missed a tournament and had to play a play in game his 3rd year. I mean, good on him for making a sweet 16 run, but those matchups were favorable.

This is the first year he's been here you MIGHT be able to say Rick Barnes underachieved,and that's a stretch. We were ranked number 1 for a month. We should have won the regular season title and got to the elite 8. We were ranked 7th in the preseason I believe.

Anyone who thinks Cuonzo is as good a coach as Rick Barnes isn't paying attention. Due ran away from here when expectations came calling. Did the same at Cal. He'll stay at Mizzou until he's fired because he is getting a pay day.

I'm not sure the Cuonzo is terrible or mediocre claim is accurate.

Dude wins about 60% of his games...he's not on the same level as Barnes though. But had Jontay Porter not blown out his knee in October this season at Missouri would have looked a lot different.

I'm not sure the Cuonzo is terrible or mediocre claim is accurate.

Dude wins about 60% of his games...he's not on the same level as Barnes though. But had Jontay Porter not blown out his knee in October this season at Missouri would have looked a lot different.

What’s the difference?

Even with talent on the floor, he’s still mediocre.

There’s a reason why Cal ran him out of town.

But I guess making the NIT is good enough expectations for him.

What’s the difference?

Even with talent on the floor, he’s still mediocre.

There’s a reason why Cal ran him out of town.

But I guess making the NIT is good enough expectations for him.

Whoa...don't you give me that tude buddy!

But I'm not sure you're narrative is accurate since it was Martin who chose to step down and leave Cal to "move closer to home"

Cal men's head basketball coach Cuonzo Martin resigns

I do agree that his time at California pretty much highlighted that he's not a great coach. He's a solid coach at best, California is an easy school to recruit to and he had 2 top 100 players his first season then added two top 5 players, and only managed 23 wins that season, with 4 NBA players on the roster.

(to be fair though the season after he left Cali went from 21 wins, to a combined 16 in the 2 years since he left)

Im not arguing about the pay. Im arguing about the morons who claim Cuonzo is as good as Barnes. Cuonzo coached in a very weak SEC leaague. Its drastically improved since Barnes arrived.
Its like saying my intramural team in college is just as good as Virginia this year because we both won our championships. Idiotic argument.

But while you are discussing pay, Id bet my house that if Barnes left, you would also be complaining that TN won't pony up the $$$ for a coach.

Except I wouldn’t. I get that we aren’t going to have a Pearl level coach at any point in the rest of my life. Vols basketball has reached its peak for my life time. Just like I made my peace with the same being true for football. But any chance we had of bringing in a potentially great successor to Barnes just went out the window when he paid Barnes like Bill self.

Except I wouldn’t. I get that we aren’t going to have a Pearl level coach at any point in the rest of my life. Vols basketball has reached its peak for my life time. Just like I made my peace with the same being true for football. But any chance we had of bringing in a potentially great successor to Barnes just went out the window when he paid Barnes like Bill self.
Actually paying Barnes, possibly more than he's worth, gives us a better chance to land a big hire when he retires. Stable program and an admin that will finally pay whats needed to sustain a basketball culture. Could even consider your Johnny Dawkins if he proves he can continue to win at a high level without a Tako. Stranger things have happened.

Johnny Dawkins? meh...sub 600 guy fired from Stanford. Do not want.

I think Barnes got paid partly because in his 3rd season he won the SEC, and in his 2nd season he won even more games. He has also changed the culture big time. Pearl may be a better coach, but at least with Barnes the chances of players getting arrested for weapons charges is far less likely. Plus Pearl may be out of coaching for good once the dust settles on all the FBI stuff swarming around right now.

VN Store

Back