Brian Maurer Taking First Snaps Under Center

Any halfway decent o-line recruit avoids triple option offenses since no NFL team runs it.

Perhaps, but Oklahoma didn't seem to have trouble getting linemen during their triple option era, and it wasn't run in the NFL then either. Someone should look into how many linemen from OK made it to the big league from those days. Someone besides me that is.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
How do you recruit a guy at such an important position and never discover something like this?
You cross off high school QB’s who operate out of the gun? You’re swimming in real shallow waters. Spencer Rattler a no go for you last year too?

I did not realize this. Maurer has great potential, but this season is probably going to be a learning / development season more than anything.

Not probably imo, definitely. Hopefully they can redshirt him and he’s ahead of the curve and ready to go for 2020.

I wouldn't think this is all that rare anymore. Most high schools are in shotgun. Hell I won a championship here with 9/10 year old team and we didn't go under center one time the whole year

You cross off high school QB’s who operate out of the gun? You’re swimming in real shallow waters. Spencer Rattler a no go for you last year too?
No, Butchna, don't cross them off. However, it would seem a thorough evaluation would reveal if a qb has ever taken a shot-gun or under-center snap. It seems like a pretty glaring omission, one way or the other, and one that shouldn't really happen at this level.

No, Butchna, don't cross them off. However, it would seem a thorough evaluation would reveal if a qb has ever taken a shot-gun or under-center snap. It seems like a pretty glaring omission, one way or the other, and one that shouldn't really happen at this level.
It didn’t...they knew. You seriously disagree? He was the best option and the under center thing is a manufactured issue. You can play or you caint. /science.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
It didn’t...they knew. You seriously disagree? He was the best option and the under center thing is a manufactured issue. You can play or you caint. /science.
I don't disagree, if they really were 100% unaware, they failed. I think it's very likely they knew every aspect of his playing history.

I did not realize this. Maurer has great potential, but this season is probably going to be a learning / development season more than anything.

Taking snaps under center is easy. Trust me. If a snap under center is bobbled, it’s usually because the center or QB moved out early before the delivery is made. Maurer hasn’t had any problems here. The snap issues during practices and scrimmages have been out of the gun.

Last edited:
I wish I could remember the guys name on here who was claiming Maurer would win the starting job by mid season.
Me, sir.

And my opinion has not changed what so ever.

And I think he'll have the best stats this Saturday.

Go the game if you can! I can't. I'm 5 times zones away...

Me, sir.

I can't! I moved to Kansas City, MO. I wish I could go. I will be watching it online somewhere.
You really seriously think Maurer is gonna take the job, tho?

Reactions: LittleVol
Mauer was recruited by Helton not Chaney and probably not Weike.

Oklahoma's offensive lines during thier great running game period was during the time of unlimited scholarships. Oklahoma would recruit the big farm boys. Feed them & strenghten them. Always had a great group behind the next. With limited scholarships, you cant stockpile players to the same extent.

Me, sir.

If he starts by mid season it’ll be because JG is injured and done for the year.......and we’ll be effed.

VN Store

Back