He is not worth 5 million a year

If you want to feel good about a 4.7 Barnes contract, look at Ohio St. they've got a 7 mil Chris Holtman who aint never done nuttin by the standards set on this board.

Reactions: Roustabout
If you want to feel good about a 4.7 Barnes contract, look at Ohio St. they've got a 7 mil Chris Holtman who aint never done nuttin by the standards set on this board.

And he has tons of coaching left. We are paying 4.7 for Barnes knowing damn well we will never have to worry buying him out of it because he is 5-6 years away from retirement.

Reactions: 08Vol
good bit of toxicity in this thread.

1. he's worth 4.7M because UCLA said he was worth $5M. it just is what it is, economically.
2. we currently have the 2nd best program in the SEC, and a top 10 program nationally. should be expected to stay that way or get better. but that was the case before the raise, right?
3. UT is committed to winning again. may have required a hard shove in that direction here....but over the last 10-12 years, we've all bemoaned the lack of committment from this universtiy's admin to being competitive in ALL sports...always willing to pay for buildings and such..but never invest in winning. well.......................you can't have it both ways. this is what it looks like......

carry on.

I'm confused - have they announced his new structure? It's my understanding he got a 1mil raise and made 3.25 last year with that number increasing 100k for the duration of the extension he signed last summer.

I'm confused - have they announced his new structure? It's my understanding he got a 1mil raise and made 3.25 last year with that number increasing 100k for the duration of the extension he signed last summer.

Essentially gets 4.7 million and then the number escalates. Read where the deal gets close to 6 million at its end so I would think it would be 5-6 years with 200K increases each year.

Reactions: jakez4ut
He also got bounced in the in the NIT two years prior to that tourney run.

He also had a significantly better roster to build with compared to Barnes and Cuonzo still flopped.

Comparing making a Sweet 16 in Year 3 for one coach vs Year 4 for another coach isn't some strong argument when comparing.

Stevie Wonder can see that Cuonzo is a dud and literally got lucky in March after sweating it out as a bubble team for his entire 3 years here even with a stacked roster going into his 3rd year.

If your argument in Barnes vs Cuonzo is that it took Barnes a year longer to make a Sweet 16 and that's somehow a knock on Barnes, you've lost your mind.

But yes, let's defend a horrible coach that had one good 3 game stretch in 3 over 100 games coached.....
So getting bounced in the NIT when you are not excited due to a snub is worse than going .500 and not even getting a NIT bid? 🤣🤣😂😂😂😅😅
Terrible argument.

Better roster? Not at all. What were we picked both coach first year? Who will have more draft picks? Two time SEC POTY?
A stacked roster that was not ranked preseason and had zero first round draft pick ? We were not more talented.

No knock on Barnes. I have continually said he is the best coach in UT history by far.

The FACT that Zo won more in those "hundred games" and had more postseason success in the same time frame just exposes those with some personal vendetta against Martin. The number don't lie. The preseason expectations don't lie.

Not saying Barnes did bad. They BOTH did well for what they were left and where they were ranked.

If you think Martin did bad here. Then you have to say Barnes did too the first three years. I think both were good here for the situations.

So getting bounced in the NIT when you are not excited due to a snub is worse than going .500 and not even getting a NIT bid? 🤣🤣😂😂😂😅😅
Terrible argument.

Better roster? Not at all. What were we picked both coach first year? Who will have more draft picks? Two time SEC POTY?
A stacked roster that was not ranked preseason and had zero first round draft pick ? We were not more talented.

No knock on Barnes. I have continually said he is the best coach in UT history by far.

The FACT that Zo won more in those "hundred games" and had more postseason success in the same time frame just exposes those with some personal vendetta against Martin. The number don't lie. The preseason expectations don't lie.

Not saying Barnes did bad. They BOTH did well for what they were left and where they were ranked.

If you think Martin did bad here. Then you have to say Barnes did too the first three years. I think both were good here for the situations.

Martin walked into the following:

Trae Golden
Jordan McRae
Josh Richardson
Cam Tatum
Jeronne Maymon
Kenny Hall
Renaldo Wooldridge

He did land Stokes.....

That roster is no where near as bad as what Tyndall left Barnes..... If you even think they are remotely close, you have zero clue about Tennessee Basketball.

Also one thing you fail to understand, but make excuses for is that Cuonzo walked into a program that had talent on the roster. Barnes did not. Barnes was rebuilding a program that had fell into shambles with part of the blame on Cuonzo and the other part on Tyndall and Admin.

Barnes was hired to take the program from the slums of the conference and he did it... Cuonzo was hired to further the success that Bruce had made in his 6 years and didn't, causing UT to take a major step back....

You are literally out of you mind if you think the program was anywhere in equal shape when Cuonzo took over vs when Barnes took over.

Last edited:
Again, you wouldn’t give two ***** about this except for one thing and one thing only, and it’s not records.
Again comparing records and predictions you will say either Barnes and Martin were either both good or bad. If not it's only because of one thing. And it's not record or results OBVIOUSLY.

Martin walked into the following:

Trae Golden
Jordan McRae
Josh Richardson
Cam Tatum
Jeronne Maymon
Kenny Hall
Renaldo Wooldridge

He did land Stokes.....

That roster is no where near as bad as what Tyndall left Barnes..... If you even think they are remotely close, you have zero clue about Tennessee Basketball.

Also one thing you fail to understand, but make excuses for is that Cuonzo walked into a program that had talent on the roster. Barnes did not. Barnes was rebuilding a program that had fell into shambles with part of the blame on Cuonzo and the other part on Tyndall and Admin.

Barnes was hired to take the program from the slums of the conference and he did it... Cuonzo was hired to further the success that Bruce had made in his 6 years and didn't, causing UT to take a major step back....

You are literally out of you mind if you think the program was anywhere in equal shape when Cuonzo took over vs when Barnes took over.
Why were they picked last in the conference when Zo took over? How much returning production came back?

I thought so. Same situations. Martin more wins. More postseason success. We can only compare the first three years. Martin was only here for three.

You don't get picked last in the conference after losing your top 7 players and consider that a stacked roster.

Are you crazy, ignorant, or just making crap up to fit your agenda?

If you want the basketball program to be considered legit then you have to keep Barnes around. He’s great for the program and even if he never gets a final four or ncaa title before he retires, Tennessee has just made a statement that they are serious about basketball by not allowing another school to steal our coach. It feels nice not being the ugly sister for once.

When Barnes does retire prospective coaches will look at the program in a more positive light knowing that if they are successful Tennessee will fend off other schools who cone calling.

Why were they picked last in the conference when Zo took over? How much returning production came back?

I thought so. Same situations. Martin more wins. More postseason success. We can only compare the first three years. Martin was only here for three.

You don't get picked last in the conference after losing your top 7 players and consider that a stacked roster.

Are you crazy, ignorant, or just making crap up to fit your agenda?

Once again, the talent on the roster that Cuonzo walked into was significantly better than what Barnes walked into.

Secondly, Cuonzo was hired to continue the success that Pearl had. He didn't. Barnes was hired to rebuild the program from garbage. No one expected Barnes to compete for Tourney appearances or league titles right away. Cuonzo was expected to make the tourney from the beginning and he was a perennial bubble coach.

Projections based on media don't mean anything in this argument. If you want to make it about that, you are changing the goal posts on this discussion.

And we can only compare 3 years because Cuonzo got his feelings hurt like a little baby for the fan base holding him accountable for substandard results. When he finally did produce, he ran off with this tails between his legs.

Of course it isn't a surprise that a social justice warrior like you is basically accusing anyone of looking at Cuonzo's career thru clear, unbiased eyes of racism because that's what you do on here in every thread.

You're a real piece of work.

Reactions: PandamoniumReigns
From a business standpoint, you can't just simply look at the win/loss record. It seems to me that there are other things to factor in, such as revenue, if the revenue is pouring in, I'm sure it is....he should be compensated. I just wish the compensation would have been willful instead of being based as a "counter offer".

From a business standpoint, you can't just simply look at the win/loss record. It seems to me that there are other things to factor in, such as revenue, if the revenue is pouring in, I'm sure it is....he should be compensated. I just wish the compensation would have been willful instead of being based as a "counter offer".

But, that's how this always goes. Someone tries to take your coach and you try to keep him/her. The market sets the rate and the competitors have to decide whether to pay it or not. Barnes means far more to UT than a win/loss record, but that's where you have to start the analysis.

Some people think we’re not paying him so why worry about it. Well you are, example what you used to take a family of 4 to a UT game could cost you 100$ now it’s 250$. Your paying for the raise if your going to games.

Duke hasn't won their conference since 2009-10, their only conference title in the last 13 years. So, not a top ten program?

The ACC considers the ACCT champ the official conference champ. Regular season champs aren’t formally recognized by the conference.

Actually its not about the money.

UCLA is a basketball school for the most part. They have unlimited cash and could throw a Brinks truck at someone if they really wanted too.

Tennessee currently has two coaches out on buyouts. We are seeing some good returns on the basketball program financially. Barnes is going to retire in 5-6 years.

So the decision has to be weighed by Fulmer and the University if paying more to keep things stable and getting good returns is worth it vs had they let Barnes walk and Fulmer having to do a basketball search that could get as close to the performance the basketball program is currently getting under Barnes.

Outside of a Bruce Pearl hire (very small chance), there would be all but guaranteed we go after a mid major / up and comer type like Tyndall or Cuonzo that we can pay cheap. Two things happen there, recruiting will take a hit because these up and comer's are NOT household names and they have to adjust having all these resources at their hands. Secondly, there will always be some apathy towards an up and comer here that isn't some March Madness cinderella coach and will feel like a letdown hire. Add in the fact of a Cuonzo/Tyndall type season (.500 record season give or take a few games on either side) and fans will be ruthless. We saw this with Cuonzo being a dud and the Bruce petition. Of course that led down the route of people bringing racism into it.

So most likely we look at the following:
Recruiting takes a hit
Ticket sales drop
Grant/Bone definitely leave with no chance of returning
Possibly a transfer

Basically all the returns we have gotten from Barnes are erased.....

Given the fact this is likely his last contract, paying him 4.7-6 million per year over the course of this contract is a steal to keep things flowing financially.

Knowing we won't have to fire him because he will be retiring on this contract is a major win for us as we would never have to worry about dealing with a 4 coaching buyout this decade.....

There will not be a lot a pressure on UT to throw an extension on this new deal as Barnes' longevity for coaching is basically non existent (4-6 years)....
While I agree and really don't want to see Rick go, if they had said, "We're letting Rick go... introducing new UT coach Gregg Marshall..." I would have been fine with it. And, I would be very surprised if Marshall turned us down.

Once again, the talent on the roster that Cuonzo walked into was significantly better than what Barnes walked into.

Secondly, Cuonzo was hired to continue the success that Pearl had. He didn't. Barnes was hired to rebuild the program from garbage. No one expected Barnes to compete for Tourney appearances or league titles right away. Cuonzo was expected to make the tourney from the beginning and he was a perennial bubble coach.

Projections based on media don't mean anything in this argument. If you want to make it about that, you are changing the goal posts on this discussion.

And we can only compare 3 years because Cuonzo got his feelings hurt like a little baby for the fan base holding him accountable for substandard results. When he finally did produce, he ran off with this tails between his legs.

Of course it isn't a surprise that a social justice warrior like you is basically accusing anyone of looking at Cuonzo's career thru clear, unbiased eyes of racism because that's what you do on here in every thread.

You're a real piece of work.

Stop lying. Projections and rankings are facts that are easily verified.

Not one person thought the first time p5 coach inheriting a team picked LAST in the conference was supposed to go the the NCAA each year. The only ones retroactively claiming he should have are those trying to twist things to fit an agenda.

Pearl had already let the team fall off the cliff. His last year the regular season was worse than Martin's first. Losses to College of Charleston, Oakland, and Charlotte . He had a much better roster with a one and done NBA All Star and got a bid we didn't deserve then got whooped by 30 in the tourney. Then we lose all the good players off of that team. The program was already in a downturn with Pearl buddy.

Pearl' s last year 19-15 8-8 SEC. Martin first year 19-15 10-6 SEC. 🙄🙃

Dude stop making crap up. No one thought the team coming off that Pearl season and losing all the good players would even be .500.

Martin was probably tired of death threats to his family. I know I wouldn't put up with it. Then add on the expectations that only existed for him and he was probably right to go. Just look at the way Barnes is beloved and people hate Martin despite the same situation and Martin winning more.

I didn't bring up race pal. The one who did has the problem, not me. Just like you. You have "coincidentally" hated every black head coach, coordinator, or quarterback. 🤔

You can't make up things. Fact is both were picked in the same spot. Both had no returning good players. Martin won more in the same time frame.

Barnes is a better coach. Martin did well here too for the situation he was put it. Anyone that can't acknowledgethat has an agenda.

While I agree and really don't want to see Rick go, if they had said, "We're letting Rick go... introducing new UT coach Gregg Marshall..." I would have been fine with it. And, I would be very surprised if Marshall turned us down.

Koch Brothers have Marshall locked down at Wichita State. He's living a dream there.

Stop lying. Projections and rankings are facts that are easily verified.

Not one person thought the first time p5 coach inheriting a team picked LAST in the conference was supposed to go the the NCAA each year. The only ones retroactively claiming he should have are those trying to twist things to fit an agenda.

Pearl had already let the team fall off the cliff. His last year the regular season was worse than Martin's first. Losses to College of Charleston, Oakland, and Charlotte . He had a much better roster with a one and done NBA All Star and got a bid we didn't deserve then got whooped by 30 in the tourney. Then we lose all the good players off of that team. The program was already in a downturn with Pearl buddy.

Pearl' s last year 19-15 8-8 SEC. Martin first year 19-15 10-6 SEC. 🙄🙃

Dude stop making crap up. No one thought the team coming off that Pearl season and losing all the good players would even be .500.

Martin was probably tired of death threats to his family. I know I wouldn't put up with it. Then add on the expectations that only existed for him and he was probably right to go. Just look at the way Barnes is beloved and people hate Martin despite the same situation and Martin winning more.

I didn't bring up race pal. The one who did has the problem, not me. Just like you. You have "coincidentally" hated every black head coach, coordinator, or quarterback. 🤔

You can't make up things. Fact is both were picked in the same spot. Both had no returning good players. Martin won more in the same time frame.

Barnes is a better coach. Martin did well here too for the situation he was put it. Anyone that can't acknowledgethat has an agenda.

And even with a 19-15 squad, Pearl still made the tourney...

The roster leftover from Pearl was no doubt lightyears better than the roster Barnes took over, which by the way Cuonzo and Tyndall left in shambles.

And once again, you spew complete trash.... There is literally no defense to putting Cuonzo in the same category as Barnes at Tennessee. Zero. Cuonzo was trash here with an experienced squad and was a perennial bubble team.

There is a reason he has sucked at Cal and Mizzou.

The fact people are defending him as a good coach means one thing with you. If it wasn't for race, you wouldn't defend him just like you always do.

I guess the reason people were trashing Larry Scott as OC was because he is black?

I guess people didn't want Tee in the head coaching position because he is black? Same with OC?

One hint of criticism about anything and you are here touting the social justice warrior "Racist" chants.

Pure trash.

Last edited:
Reactions: PandamoniumReigns
If you want the basketball program to be considered legit then you have to keep Barnes around. He’s great for the program and even if he never gets a final four or ncaa title before he retires, Tennessee has just made a statement that they are serious about basketball by not allowing another school to steal our coach. It feels nice not being the ugly sister for once.

When Barnes does retire prospective coaches will look at the program in a more positive light knowing that if they are successful Tennessee will fend off other schools who cone calling.

It gives us the opportunity to hand off the program in good shape to a successor of choice instead of a scramble to find someone. Makes the job immensely more attractive to top coaches.

Reactions: rocketskates
And even with a 19-15 squad, Pearl still made the tourney...

The roster leftover from Pearl was no doubt lightyears better than the roster Barnes took over, which by the way Cuonzo and Tyndall left in shambles.

And once again, you spew complete trash.... There is literally no defense to putting Cuonzo in the same category as Barnes at Tennessee. Zero. Cuonzo was trash here with an experienced squad and was a perennial bubble team.

There is a reason he has sucked at Cal and Mizzou.

The fact people are defending him as a good coach means one thing with you. If it wasn't for race, you wouldn't defend him just like you always do.

I guess the reason people were trashing Larry Scott as OC was because he is black?

One hint of criticism about anything and you are here touting the social justice warrior "Racist" chants.

Pure trash.
This is my last response for now about this. I see you just want to lie in an effort to bash Martin.

The roster Pearl left was just a bad as what Tyndall did. You don't lose your top 6 scorers off a 19-15 team and say that is a good roster unless you are a real idiot or have an agenda.

What experienced squad did he have the first two years? Please tell me. They were experienced year three and guess what? Sweet 16. They were all freshmen and sophomores the first two years. Barnes inherited MORE experience. So I guess you think Barnes was trash with more experience but not even being a bubble team, just a .500 team the first two years. Of I forgot. You have an agenda.

Larry Scott was bad. No one you claim defends black coaches defended him. So that blows your whole idiotic theory up of supporting bad coaches due to race.

And once again the one who actually has an issue with it brought it up. Not me. It's obvious it's an issue wither you. Also your sjw jabs prove my point. Only bigots use terms like that. Also you hate every black qb or coaching candidate for a coordinator position or above. Your post history is pretty telling.

No more energy on a troll with an agenda who has obviously never played on a basketball team and does not posses any basketball knowledge.

VN Store

Back