Baylor Pro Day Results- Jalen Hurd

If he’s in the right system he can definitely be a situation player.

Given he keeps his head on straight

I can see a really good team, who can afford to take a chance, picking JH. LA Rams, Patriots, Eagles, etc.

I think somewhat will take a flyer on him in the 5th round.
I’d bet he goes well before than. Just a guess. I can see 3rd, maybe early 4th. He’s a big physical guy with a big body, excellent hands and good quickness, especially for his size. Gonna make somebody a good slot receiver imho.

If he’s in the right system he can definitely be a situation player.

Given he keeps his head on straight
From all appearances he has it on straight now. And honestly, who can much blame him for getting sideways at Tennessee. His timing for leaving was really bad, left his teammates hung out to dry....if he’d have gone after the season or after the season before, he wouldn’t have gotten near the grief, and rightly so. Kids about to make himself some good money, gotta hand it to him for his, uh...resiliency.

I’d bet he goes well before than. Just a guess. I can see 3rd, maybe early 4th. He’s a big physical guy with a big body, excellent hands and good quickness, especially for his size. Gonna make somebody a good slot receiver imho.

He needed a good pro day to sniff the top half of the draft. He didn't get it.

Reactions: Remy
I have no idea where he falls in the draft but the guy is a baller. Speed or no speed. That will be recognized by NFL coaches and GMs. Wish him the best.

I have no idea where he falls in the draft but the guy is a baller. Speed or no speed. That will be recognized by NFL coaches and GMs. Wish him the best.

I think the divide in the conversation is that some (and some more than others) have contended that Hurd was some generational freak athlete. Whatever he is, including a good football player that may do well at the next level, a freak athlete he is not.

He’s a consistent and dependable player. I think that makes up for his lack of speed.

It may be enough to get him drafted. It's not going to be enough to get him out of the later rounds. And I'm not sure that "dependable" is an adjective that I'd use for a guy who quit on his team.

Remember what scouts have to work with. Hurd only has 12 games worth of tape as a WR in a conference that doesn't play defense. The rest of his film is mediocre work at RB, a position he's made clear he doesn't want to play. To overcome his lack of experience at WR, he needed to show out in workouts. At least at his pro day, he failed to do that. Now, some teams might bring him in for individual work, and he may improve on his pro day numbers. But, if we're all being honest, those numbers are fairly reflective of his on-field performance. I'm not sure that he's got significantly better numbers in him.

Last edited:
Reactions: 05_never_again
It may be enough to get him drafted. It's not going to be enough to get him out of the later rounds. And I'm not sure that "dependable" is an adjective that I'd use for a guy who quit on his team.

Remember what scouts have to work with. Hurd only has 12 games worth of tape as a WR in a conference that doesn't play defense. The rest of his film is mediocre work at RB, a position he's made clear he doesn't want to play. To overcome his lack of experience at WR, he needed to show out in workouts. At least at his pro day, he failed to do that. Now, some teams might bring him in for individual work, and he may improve on his pro day numbers. But, if we're all being honest, those numbers are fairly reflective of his on-field performance. I'm not sure that he's got significantly better numbers in him.
All of your points are valid. I think a team like the Patriots could use him.

Not exactly the 4.37 he supposedly ran as a junior in high school.
But how much bigger is he now than as a JR in HS? Plus, that will be the last time he runs a 40. From here on out, it's whether you can play, or not.

Patriots draft him. Put the weight back on him. He winds up being an All-Pro TE.

Just a prediction. He’s kind of a tweener. Mismatch on a LB or small nickel back. Too slow to burn outside DBs. Maybe an Alshon Jeffrey redzone threat if he stays at WR, but that’s giving him a higher ceiling than he probably warrants.

Patriots draft him. Put the weight back on him. He winds up being an All-Pro TE.

Just a prediction. He’s kind of a tweener. Mismatch on a LB or small nickel back. Too slow to burn outside DBs. Maybe an Alshon Jeffrey redzone threat if he stays at WR, but that’s giving him a higher ceiling than he probably warrants.

He isn’t going to be a mismatch for anyone in the NFL. I think he will be lucky to ever be a full time starter.

He isn’t going to be a mismatch for anyone in the NFL. I think he will be lucky to ever be a full time starter.

I mean, all I can really say is that I disagree. Not saying he’s an All Pro guy, but I have always thought he moves very well, and especially so at his size. Idk where he ends up or even what position, but I think he’ll have success. It’s a wait and see game now though.

Reactions: BUBear

Very good call, KB.

He needed a good pro day to sniff the top half of the draft. He didn't get it.

Well, at least you sounded all confident and factual.

VN Store

Back