Latest Tweet by Hyams: Lawson may be candidate

Awww, I thought we had gotten off on a good foot being from West Tennessee. And yeah...I do think it is the reasonable and mature thought to have with the players if they decide to leave, but maybe that’s just me “shrugs”
Still have my good foot but have an opinion just like you and everyone else! Not right not wrong but mine VN friend!

Recruiting to Baylor is a hell of a lot easier than NC state Chattanooga or Mo. State. Give the girl a chance or wait 4 years and check back in!! LOL

You completely missed my point. It was NOT easy for Kim to recruit to Baylor. It is now, because she's a winner and recruits come to her. KJH could have had the same story at any one of the schools she has coached at if she had consistent success. Which she has not.

Have you ever been to Waco, Texas? No 18 year old girl would move there of her own volition if Kim Mulkey hadn't created the program she has. KJH has had very similar opportunities which is why I compared the two. She just doesn't stack up for me.

You completely missed my point. It was NOT easy for Kim to recruit to Baylor. It is now, because she's a winner and recruits come to her. KJH could have had the same story at any one of the schools she has coached at if she had consistent success. Which she has not.

Have you ever been to Waco, Texas? No 18 year old girl would move there of her own volition if Kim Mulkey hadn't created the program she has. KJH has had very similar opportunities which is why I compared the two. She just doesn't stack up for me.
Actually have been to Waco on more than one occasion and not many 28 year olds would want to move there but a lot of 18-22 year old males and females move there both black and white. Kellie did not have anywhere near the facilities or recruiting budgets as baylor does. She had about as much success everywhere but NC St. who was in a cluster **** with the YOW folks running the show. We can agree to disagree cause i am done!!!

Oh well..... gotta support the new coach. I just hope she can keep Westbrooks and Davis from transferring.

This board gets frightening at times. When many go crazy about Kellie, and anyone with coaching experience coming, and they argue she does not have enough experience, and we should hire someone with proven coaching ability and record; yet they go crazy pumping up an assistant from ND with NO HEAD COACHING EXPERIENCE.
No one said she didn't have enough experience.Just not enough GOOD experience. She is mediocre at best.

Actually have been to Waco on more than one occasion and not many 28 year olds would want to move there but a lot of 18-22 year old males and females move there both black and white. Kellie did not have anywhere near the facilities or recruiting budgets as baylor does. She had about as much success everywhere but NC St. who was in a cluster **** with the YOW folks running the show. We can agree to disagree cause i am done!!!

Keep blaming the NC State situation on the behind the secenes issues when the same thing is happening at UT in three seasons. I hope she is successful and will always support the program, but I suspect she’ll be no better than Holly.

Keep blaming the NC State situation on the behind the secenes issues when the same thing is happening at UT in three seasons. I hope she is successful and will always support the program, but I suspect she’ll be no better than Holly.
Ok if you wish but holly was around without behind the scenes junk unless started by her!

@mtsuraider06 or @DeerPark12 ... remember DP was the one that said the Fulmer has interest in Kara when everybody else said she wasn’t interested then it was more and more talks to Kara. Now it could have been getting her input into the next coach but also could have been trying to get her interested.

I think their discussions were focused on her advising on the search and that was misunderstood by some in the media. At the same time, I believe that if she HAD really wanted the job, she would have been a very serious candidate with a good budget for experienced assistants. But she has a passion for a lot of things that she could not have done while coaching basketball.

I think their discussions were focused on her advising on the search and that was misunderstood by some in the media. At the same time, I believe that if she HAD really wanted the job, she would have been a very serious candidate with a good budget for experienced assistants. But she has a passion for a lot of things that she could not have done while coaching basketball.
I suspected this b/c with Kara it was always "talked to" PF and never "interviewed" like KJH and Wes Moore were. Could have been an interesting hire, but I'm not too surprised.

DP do you mind sharing, if you know, who was interested in the job and who was seriously considered? Anyone actually interviewed besides KJH and Wes Moore?

I find myself defending PF against accusations of coping out to an easy, cheap LV hire so he could go back to charting football plays. I think he was hampered by lack of interest and availability of good coaches. I'm also curious how much he was constrained by demands for a female and/or a Pat tree coach. If I'm wrong about this and he really didn't give a flip I need to know so I don't foolishly defend him for the next six months. Thanks for your help!

Reactions: WeAreTheRealUT.
Very interested to see what staff KJH puts together. A good leader/coach understands their weakness and builds a staff to sure-up the weak areas. For me this will be an early indicator of KJH’s ability to rebuild the program.

Reactions: NoBackBoard
Very interested to see what staff KJH puts together. A good leader/coach understands their weakness and builds a staff to sure-up the weak areas. For me this will be an early indicator of KJH’s ability to rebuild the program.
Completely agree with this idea. I knew we were in trouble when Butch proclaimed his friends who he brought along from Cincy as the “best coaching staff in America.” If she just brings her mid-major buds who she is comfortable with and won’t push her to shake things up when needed, then we might be very unhappy for a few years. If she shows a willingness to grow, unlike Holly, I will think she might be moving in the right direction.

Does she have to let go of her husband? I was hoping he could be recruiting coordinator...

Does she have to let go of her husband? I was hoping he could be recruiting coordinator...

No, he will report directly to someone else in the athletic department, likely the administrator over WBB, but he can be on staff as an assistant coach.

I suspected this b/c with Kara it was always "talked to" PF and never "interviewed" like KJH and Wes Moore were. Could have been an interesting hire, but I'm not too surprised.

DP do you mind sharing, if you know, who was interested in the job and who was seriously considered? Anyone actually interviewed besides KJH and Wes Moore?

I find myself defending PF against accusations of coping out to an easy, cheap LV hire so he could go back to charting football plays. I think he was hampered by lack of interest and availability of good coaches. I'm also curious how much he was constrained by demands for a female and/or a Pat tree coach. If I'm wrong about this and he really didn't give a flip I need to know so I don't foolishly defend him for the next six months. Thanks for your help!

They “spoke” to about 12 people, but the reality is that most of them make enough money at their current spot that there wasn’t really a number that was feasible that would get them to move. Staley, Mitchell, and Schaeffer all declined contact through their agents.

I think there was significant interest on Tennessee’s part in the two coaches from the state of Oregon, but neither indicated a willingness to move from the West Coast. Amanda Butler pursued the job heavily, but there was concern on Tennessee’s part about her never getting over the hump at Florida. Hiring Caldwell away from LSU would have had to have made her the highest paid coach in the SEC and I don’t think anyone saw that as a wise way to spend money.

I think Lawson and others in the process were in on Harper from the start and it kept coming back to her.

They “spoke” to about 12 people, but the reality is that most of them make enough money at their current spot that there wasn’t really a number that was feasible that would get them to move. Staley, Mitchell, and Schaeffer all declined contact through their agents.

I think there was significant interest on Tennessee’s part in the two coaches from the state of Oregon, but neither indicated a willingness to move from the West Coast. Amanda Butler pursued the job heavily, but there was concern on Tennessee’s part about her never getting over the hump at Florida. Hiring Caldwell away from LSU would have had to have made her the highest paid coach in the SEC and I don’t think anyone saw that as a wise way to spend money.

I think Lawson and others in the process were in on Harper from the start and it kept coming back to her.
Thanks so much for the info. Sounds like a pretty decent net was actually cast but money, interest, and availability were an issue. It also sounds like gender and LV ties were not the issue since the Oregon coaches are male, and I'm happy about that. (Although never in a million years will many fans be convinced KJH is not a female/LV constraint hire, which is too bad.)

One more question, was Walz ever actually interested and pursuing as reported? Was PF really interested or did the money and "ethical" questions rule Walz out from the start?

Two things stand out to me, first interest in the job was far less enthusiastic than claimed by those who were sure top coaches would be banging the door down. Also, if the money to lure a star to move was never feasible, it does seem the LV program is not valued nearly as highly as the men's, where in a freak of timing, PF just busted the piggy bank to keep Barnes. Is this b/c the LV program is viewed as one which even in the best of times will never be a money maker?

Thanks again for the info. I wish the very best for KJH and sure hope it works out. I have zero doubt she'll be far better than Holly and I believe there will be a decent surge of energy and fair surge of support and interest at first. I also believe the build in both interest and results will be far slower with this hire than it would have been with either Lawson or especially with Walz.

Staff hires will be key, looking forward to hearing that.

Thanks for the insight. I think Kellie will win the doubters over sooner than many think. My greatest hope is that ALL of the current players stay so that CKJH has the best tools to work with.

I’m excited! ❤️

Reactions: Amb3096 and SDV

I would see him in an admin role. I’m just not convinced he has the right skill level for an on-court role. That said, CKH is the one who has to bet her future on the staff hires.

Our AD just went out and hired the current Kay Yow National Coach of the Year. Celebrate that, folks. How do you criticize that?

The Kay Yow National Coach of the Year Award | College Basketball Awards | CollegeInsider.com

"MINNEAPOLIS, MN -- Missouri State’s Kellie Harper is the recipient of the 2019 Kay Yow award, presented annually to the top coach in Women’s Division I college basketball.

Now in her sixth season at Missouri State, Harper led the Lady Bears to a 25-10 record and a trip to the Sweet 16. The 25 wins were the most since 2005 and it was the first Sweet 16 appearance since 2001.

After a 1-7 start the Lady Bears completely turned their season around, winning 24 of their last 27 games. Missouri State went 9-0 in MVC road games for the first time ever and won a school-record 10 consecutive road games overall.

After finishing second in the Missouri Valley Conference, Harper’s team beat Drake in the conference tournament championship game to secure a spot in the NCAA Tournament. The win over Drake was the first of three consecutive wins over AP Top 25 opponents. It’s the first time in school history that they had beaten ranked teams in three straight games.

The Kay Yow Award was established last year to honor the Division I women's head coach who embodies not only a winning spirit but who also displays great character both on and off the court.

Yow was a coaching legend who led NC State to 737 wins during her 34 seasons at the school. She was wildly successful in every forum in which she coached, leading gold medal winners at the 1981 World University Games, the 1986 Goodwill Games, 1986 World Championship Games and the 1988 Olympic Games. "

Reactions: WeAreTheRealUT.
I would see him in an admin role. I’m just not convinced he has the right skill level for an on-court role. That said, CKH is the one who has to bet her future on the staff hires.

Just watching a few games, it seems that he had a lot of interaction with both Kellie and players both on the bench and the court. His role seemed perfectly consistent with top assistants at top schools.

In the Iowa State game posted by Jumper, I noticed that Willard was talking to Jon and even put her hand on his shouder (all business-like) to ask a question or comment. As she took the court, she turned back and affirmed something. She looked confident (she scored a bunch tbat game) and appeared to have complete trust in his coaching. Saw Kellie turn to him to make comments just like Muffet and Ivey or Geno and Dailey. At the same time, it was obvious that Kellie is the boss and has final say.

One more question, was Walz ever actually interested and pursuing as reported? Was PF really interested or did the money and "ethical" questions rule Walz out from the start?

Two things stand out to me, first interest in the job was far less enthusiastic than claimed by those who were sure top coaches would be banging the door down. Also, if the money to lure a star to move was never feasible, it does seem the LV program is not valued nearly as highly as the men's, where in a freak of timing, PF just busted the piggy bank to keep Barnes. Is this b/c the LV program is viewed as one which even in the best of times will never be a money maker?

Walz was very interested, but when one of the people on your hiring committee once typed up a report UT submitted on him to the NCAA, that was going to be a non-starter. Additionally, someone they consulted with on the search was a target of said violation. It wasn’t ever happening. There was also the matter of him angering boosters two years ago by contacting a prominent one to indicate he would come if they fired Holly at that point. He did not know said booster was in her corner.

The money was there. You’re going to see the numbers come in on her salary and reception will probably be out that they did it on the cheap, but I believe they had nearly twice what they are paying her available. They just didn’t get bites from interested parties.

I never intended it to be an excuse to not fire Holly if needed, but I’ve been saying for two or three years that you would not get the interest in this job and the expectations that come with it from nearly as high a caliber of candidates as people thought. Same way that didn’t happen in the football search last year. It’s just not easy to pluck people from their current jobs anymore when everybody has money. You allow the school pursuing your coach to just set the price, then you cut a check. Coaches typically only want to move if somethings wrong.

VN Store

Back