Poll: If Barnes Leaves...

If Barnes Leaves, would you welcome back Bruce?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
At his age, starting over and attempting to rebuild a program when you're in the last decade of your career. No way he leaves.
Rebuilding UCLA is a cake walk compared To Tennessee.

UCLA had five 4-5 stars last year in one class.

He won’t have to beg 3 stars who will be developmental players to come to UCLA like he did at Tennessee.

Barnes can develop talent and having 4 and 5 stars instead of 2 and 3 stars makes the job so much easier.

Reactions: Catbone and Volle
I think so too, UCLA probably doubled his salary, and everybody at UT is jumping ship. CRB realizes the cupboard is bare with no significant development of his last two recruiting classes. He did good here, but next year will be running on fumes. At UCLA, he has a better chance to win a NC, the one feather missing from his cap, which I think he still aspires to.
IF this ends up being a serious deal, the lure of UCLA, and lack of competitiveness in Pac 10, and historic top 5 job, another factor could be that if Grant and Bone are gone, then he's got a tougher up hill climb to compete in stronger SEC. That being said, he's got some good pieces to continue to compete in SEC. If he leaves, he leaves...biggest thing to me is to not let it be about the money. He's 4-2 against Cal (I think), and just got named national COY, so, if we have opportunity to keep him, we need to pay him. I don't think this will drag out...think we'll know today or tomorrow.

I'm sorry if this is offensive, but if Barnes actually interviewed for the job, then F HIM!!!!

Seriously??? Did you not think some school would come after him after what he has done at TN? A coach of the year goes for an interview at another school and this is what you want to do to this guy? Are we going to burn mattresses in the streets too if he leaves? Nothing wrong with having an interview and if the man can do better for his career, then it should not be held against him.....Just like in real life with any job.

Last edited:
Bring Bruce back. At the end of the day, you don't have to question if he cares about the Tennessee program or not.

Just stop with all this crap .. If Barnes leaves because he feels slighted because of football . He knew that when he was hired ... sure we have spent alot of money to fix the bell cow ..football to start making money again .. if he dont understand that then let him go .... get the 5 mil buyout .. hire a good coach and wait till the revenue starts increasing in football then adjust accordingly if needed ... people this University made too many bad contracts and hires that has us in a hole .. some tough decisions have been made and more to come if Barnes leaves ... he should be fine at UCLA ... they dont have fans at football or basketball ..

Reactions: Volle
By all means I would take him back in a heart beat. Face it, Barnes is never going to sniff anything beyond a sweet 16. Barnes is a good coach and average recruiter. His CBK history speaks for itself. Choir boys don’t win championships.

Right now, Bruce wins if his team hits a gazillion 3's in the game and causes dysfunction on the other team by playing chaotic. They got extremely hot towards the end of the season and shot lights out so thus the excellent run through both tourneys. I personally do like this brand of basketball, but it does win a fair amount of games. Also, he is losing some key players so I wouldn't count on a repeat of this year this upcoming season.

He won’t have to beg 3 stars who will be developmental players to come to UCLA like he did at Tennessee.

Barnes can develop talent and having 4 and 5 stars instead of 2 and 3 stars makes the job so much easier.
Yes maybe but it has to be the right 4 or 5 stars. I would be surprised and disappointed if he left. He has more money than he will ever spend. Really though and think he has more class than that but money talks. Loyalty walks.

Yes maybe but it has to be the right 4 or 5 stars. I would be surprised and disappointed if he left. He has more money than he will ever spend. Really though and think he has more class than that but money talks. Loyalty walks.

Why would him leaving for UCLA knock his class?

It is very simple.... He has 5-6 years left and only career accomplishment he hasn't achieved is a National Title. He ain't sniffing one at Tennessee given the restock and rebuild he has currently. UCLA could offer him a deep team after 1 year of recruiting while getting a lot of cash.

Yes, his NCAA case was the biggest load of crap in the history of the institution and he's never wavered in loving the Vols, to the point that if I were an Auburn fan I'd be mad about it. Plus, he just wins and does it in a fun way.

"and does it in a fun way"
This is the big factor as far as I am concerned. We the fans (most of us) and the student body really enjoy his personality and the way it projects. This is a big plus for any recruit to see all this "fun" around a program. Not like "just going to work".

Why would him leaving for UCLA knock his class?

It is very simple.... He has 5-6 years left and only career accomplishment he hasn't achieved is a National Title. He ain't sniffing one at Tennessee given the restock and rebuild he has currently. UCLA could offer him a deep team after 1 year of recruiting while getting a lot of cash.
He often said this close to his home and aging mother was where he wanted to be. JMHO as always!

Quick question...

If Bruce coached UT this year and Barnes coached Auburn... Where are the two teams at?

I'm sorry if this is offensive, but if Barnes actually interviewed for the job, then F HIM!!!!
People interview for new jobs all the time. UCLA is a more storied program than UT in basketball. The pieces are already in place talent wise. I think he could be caught up in the allure of that program.

Exactly. For a coach nearing the end of a career, UCLA would be a shot worth taking.

VN Store

Back