Tyler Summitt Has a New Gig.

There is a line a man doesn't cross as Women's basketball coach and he crossed it. The reasons don't matter. Its not like he didn't know. He was willing to take the risk now he is out of basketball forever.

I posted last year that he should get some grace and was subsequently blasted. It may not have been the best choice of words but as I see it Tyler made a terrible mistake, was forced to resign, damaged his reputation and lost his marriage. By grace I didn't mean excusing the behavior but rather the acknowledgment he was wrong, suffered the consequences and should be allowed to continue on with life without internet justice.

I'm not sure I would hire him to coach but I also don't know what people think should have happened. The above consequences seem pretty fair for the action. Hopefully he has learned and will not make the same mistakes again.

Maybe someone figured out that people are human and make mistakes and shouldn't have to serve a life sentence over a mistake. It wasn't like he was having sex with a minor. He at worst cheated on his girlfriend. You think he might have learned his lesson and wants to make up for his mistakes and leave a legacy his mom would be proud of?
Well, it wasn't his girlfriend he cheated on, unless you consider having sex with his wife cheating on his girlfriend.

How does any high school athletic director, or college athlete director for that matter, allow Tyler to coach girls basketball. He has proven he can’t be trusted around the girls he coaches.

Exactly, why not coach males, at this point? Seems obvious. If he is at the HS level, surely he could get a boys' gig.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
There is a line a man doesn't cross as Women's basketball coach and he crossed it. The reasons don't matter. Its not like he didn't know. He was willing to take the risk now he is out of basketball forever.
Except he's not if he got hired as an assistant

How many Presidents have we had that cheated on their wives? Ultimate position of authority yet it gets forgiven and excused(at least by people of similar political affiliation). Clinton had an affair with an intern, someone he was most definitely in a position of authority over, yet people excuse it, and many still love him. Personally, I hope Tyler keeps his nose clean and makes the most of a second chance.
"He who is without sin, please cast the first stone." That being said, I doubt if any of us could even cast a pebble. I believe everyone deserves a second chance.

Reactions: AMBAVol07
Nepotism works out positively maybe 5% of the time. It's crazy how rampant nepotism is in our country.

What's crazy to me is how many people actually think it does work. We had morons on this site calling for Tyler Summitt to be hired as the women's basketball coach. Talk about insanity.

"He who is without sin, please cast the first stone." That being said, I doubt if any of us could even cast a pebble. I believe everyone deserves a second chance.

Then you're saying Louisiana tax administration was in the wrong for firing him. Am I right?

Reactions: LadyVolFanTX
I don't think his ex-wife would appreciate being referred to as "his girlfriend."
Wife, girlfriend whatever. It still doesn't change the fact that all he did was have consensual sex with another adult. That is cheating. Nothing more nothing less. I am sure you care how his ex wife feels about being called a girlfriend in a sports forum and I am certain she no longer cares.

His wife was 18 when they got together. What's to say he won't hit on a 17 year old or 18 year old senior. He obviously has no morals.

You are judge, jury and executioner there from your high horse, and your logic is fallible. If you like 14 year old girls, you can never be trusted. Leave out the fact that you're only 13 when this occurs. And let's leave out the fact that as we age our preferences age with us and it's likely though you liked 14 year old girls once, you're most likely attracted to a range within your own age bracket. Maturity

Except he's not if he got hired as an assistant

Yes, assistant to his wife. I am sure we have not heard from the high school girls parents yet. Everyone deserves a 2nd chance and he will get his, just not head coaching women's basketball. If he is any good I don't see why he can't coach the men.

Reactions: LadyVolFanTX
How many Presidents have we had that cheated on their wives? Ultimate position of authority yet it gets forgiven and excused(at least by people of similar political affiliation). Clinton had an affair with an intern, someone he was most definitely in a position of authority over, yet people excuse it, and many still love him. Personally, I hope Tyler keeps his nose clean and makes the most of a second chance.

Well Said! unfortunately; Tyler's last name is Summitt .

I bet if you looked at the Head and Summitt family history; you would find some sexual abnormalities. Some people think about doing something, want to, and some people can't stop themselves. I imagine TS will walk the chalk line.

*Wife... and it's a little more complicated than that considering his position of authority at the time and the many complaints from the other players on the team who felt he had given her preferential treatment. The fact that his wife will also be on the staff makes his hiring viable. Still, you have to wonder how the parents of his high school players will like it. That will matter.

His wife is the head coach and he is the assistant. This is all interesting since neither of them should have to work, given he gets about 14K a month from his mother’s pension.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
His wife is the head coach and he is the assistant. This is all interesting since neither of them should have to work, given he gets about 14K a month from his mother’s pension.
That comes to about $168K annually. Good money for sure but I wouldn't expect a couple in their 20's to just sit on their butts with it. He might think he can rebuild his reputation and get another shot as a women's college basketball coach one day. That's probably a long shot. That high school deleted the release from Twitter announcing him as an assistant. If they are already getting negative feedback from angry parents? That job won't come about.

VN Store

Back