JJ Peterson ?

Siap, but applies here as well:

I've said it several times over the past few months, but we, as a fan base, have been conditioned over the past sevral years to think that if a guy that's highly rated comes in and doesn't turn out to be good to great from the jump, then he's a bust.

and there's good precedents there to back up why we feel that way....that shouldn't be overlooked here lol. cause we most certainly have had our fair share of "busts".

but that's still the exception not the rule...imagine if guys like Kmac, Tuttle, bates, barnett, phillips, hall, jack jones...etc, etc, etc...came in here w/out HAVING to be contributors...significant contributors....starting on day 1, and were allowed the opportunity to develop some?

i'd wager that not all of them would have left here with some of the percepitons they left with, as far as being a bust, or not having lived up to the hype.

we have a few guys on the roster right now...Emerson, Peterson are two that come to mind...that have already been given this label. and the reality is they're both very YOUNG, and do have plenty of time to be very good players here.

and as good as we think kids like HT, crouch, wright, Morris, Mcollough, keyton etc, etc are, they all have had certain expectations already placed on them as true freshmen.

we'll be back when we finally don't HAVE to count on the incoming class to be the most talented players on the team....

Tuttle was on his way to being a stud lineman but his career was cut short by a total cheap shot by that Georgia lineman that he was whipping that day. He just never got healthy again.

Is he the next 5* bust? Not hearing much about him during spring practice. Thought he would make a huge impact this year. Anybody know what's up with him?

I watched his HS clips and I’ve been watching his practice reps at UT. He relied on his athleticism and quickness in high school. Here’s what I know: He’s trying to learn technique, trying to learn the System, trying to keep up in the weight room, and trying to meet his classroom requirements... all of which he has light years to go. He’s also been banged up..

He has talent, and there’s no question that he’s explosive. He just needs to hang in there and keep fighting and learning.....as do we. Give him a chance.

Last edited:
Daniel Brooks! That's the guy whose name escaped me. Lot's of hype surrounding him, but he never adjusted. There was another kid from the Knoxville area. Either a LB or DE. Everyone was nuts to get him signed. Never amounted to much either. Just can't recall the name. White kid if memory serves.
Ahhhh, Brooks. ...... if UT hadn’t wanted Bo Hardegree so much, he would never have been a Vol.:p

Reactions: CAVPUT
well, he was not a 5*. He is a redshirt freshman. Why does it seem like our fans have never played organized football before, but think they are the best evaluators of talent?

My guess is VN is infected with a faction of fans who insist on finding reasons to disparage players; if they can't find a reason, they make one up. It's a chronic VN disease that crops up periodically. No remedy exists for it.

Last edited:
Our coaching staff will get him and others where they need be, obviously it’s up to the players in the end. Also believe Pruitt is establishing a totally different mind set in the players than we’ve seen in the past!

Don't think so. For some reason, I think his name began with a K. Then again my memory might be off.

You might be thinking about Austin Kemp from Brentwood Academy. He suffered a back injury I believe in his freshman year at UT that derailed his football career.

We also had a very highly rated OL, I believe his last name was Hall from the Knoxville area, who was injured and had to give up football before his UT career really got started.

Reactions: CAVPUT
You might be thinking about Austin Kemp from Brentwood Academy. He suffered a back injury I believe in his freshman year at UT that derailed his football career.

We also had a very highly rated OL, I believe his last name was Hall from the Knoxville area, who was injured and had to give up football before his UT career really got started.

I think it was Kemp. Thanks.

Well, he was a consensus 4* player and the nations #1 ranked OLB prospect. Folks got it in their heads that he was a sure fire "beast" much like Richmond, Kongbo and Warrior. A red flag for me was the issue with the grades combined with showing up in such bad shape. Anything we get from him is gravy and frankly, it will also be unexpected.
Glad at least one fan is not a sheep wearing orange color glasses

From who?
Those crazy looking guys at sports bars? The ones talking to themselves and looking like they’re auditioning for the Breaking Bad movie? Underrated sources. 🧐

Reactions: Behr
WAY too early to even be thinking a bust, had to choose all in on school or working out, he did what he needed to do and that should show what he is capable of. Damn the way some people on this board talk I bet they were all superstars in their day. Give the kid a break and just talk about those you have something good to say about, I realize with a few on here that means we won't hear from you again so let me be the first to say "was different knowing you,bye".

WAY too early to even be thinking a bust, had to choose all in on school or working out, he did what he needed to do and that should show what he is capable of. Damn the way some people on this board talk I bet they were all superstars in their day. Give the kid a break and just talk about those you have something good to say about, I realize with a few on here that means we won't hear from you again so let me be the first to say "was different knowing you,bye".

With high ratings comes high expectations and even higher responsibility....kinda? ;)

Well, he was a consensus 4* player and the nations #1 ranked OLB prospect. Folks got it in their heads that he was a sure fire "beast" much like Richmond, Kongbo and Warrior. A red flag for me was the issue with the grades combined with showing up in such bad shape. Anything we get from him is gravy and frankly, it will also be unexpected.

Last fall I simply asked a legitimate Q ... "Why everyone thot JJP was a surefire star?". I instantly got raked over the coals.
He was our #1 recruit in a bad year who got delayed. It's one of the weird things @ fans. They have basically NO information @ certain players. But for some reason nearly the entire herd goes bat sh*t crazy over certain individuals. Others not so much.

JJPs unfounded hype exceeds other off-season greats like Kenny O'Neal, Drew Richmond, or Matt Milton. Truth is stranger than fiction.

Note:. I have no idea how good JJP ends up being.

On one of the VQ podcasts a couple months ago AP talked about how JJ Peterson waited until the absolute last minute to finish his high school work in order to get here last summer. Said something along the lines like "It wasn't impossible, he just waited until the absolute last minute to get it done." Combine that with the fact he showed up overweight, I think it's legit to question his work ethic at this point. I hope he lives up to the hype, but you can't blame anyone for questioning what kind of impact he'll make here based on how the last year has gone.

Yes, those are definite concerns. But let's not get concerns confused with casa de up some of the morons on here already calling in the bust. As if they've even been to one practice.

Last fall I simply asked a legitimate Q ... "Why everyone thot JJP was a surefire star?". I instantly got raked over the coals.
He was our #1 recruit in a bad year who got delayed. It's one of the weird things @ fans. They have basically NO information @ certain players. But for some reason nearly the entire herd goes bat sh*t crazy over certain individuals. Others not so much.

JJPs unfounded hype exceeds other off-season greats like Kenny O'Neal, Drew Richmond, or Matt Milton. Truth is stranger than fiction.

Note:. I have no idea how good JJP ends up being.

In short, an over reliance on recruiting services and their star ratings.

Reactions: Titan05
WAY too early to even be thinking a bust, had to choose all in on school or working out, he did what he needed to do and that should show what he is capable of. .
I agree 100% on it being too early. I disagree 100% on the second. A average person can’t study 16 hours a day for any extended time nor can they work out constantly either. He would have had time to do both if he wanted. No need to focus on the past - let’s hope he chooses wisely in the future! Go JJP!

Reactions: Big Al Orange
The thing that most of you are forgetting - Q: what is the primary contributor of the "busts" of recent past? A: Butch Jones was responsible for coaching them up. Had Pruitt and Chaney been running player development for Kmac, Tuttle, etc - I can almost guarantee you that they would have developed into MUCH better players.

VN Store

Back