JJ Peterson ?

1985Vols

Is he the next 5* bust? Not hearing much about him during spring practice. Thought he would make a huge impact this year. Anybody know what's up with him?

Is he the next 5* bust? Not hearing much about him during spring practice. Thought he would make a huge impact this year. Anybody know what's up with him?
He came in late and out of shape last year.
He's in his first spring camp leading into his first spring game, almost 5 months out from the first game of the year.

A little early to worry.

well, he was not a 5*. He is a redshirt freshman. Why does it seem like our fans have never played organized football before, but think they are the best evaluators of talent?

Well, he was a consensus 4* player and the nations #1 ranked OLB prospect. Folks got it in their heads that he was a sure fire "beast" much like Richmond, Kongbo and Warrior. A red flag for me was the issue with the grades combined with showing up in such bad shape. Anything we get from him is gravy and frankly, it will also be unexpected.

Save the post and ask again in two years...even then, he'll still have 2 more years. BVS reins supreme. I just want to get to a point in football where we're not always expecting the worst to happen. Took Barnes a couple years, and suspect though we'll probably win 7-8 games this year, we'll be a few more years before we're really in the SEC E championship mix.

Well, he was a consensus 4* player and the nations #1 ranked OLB prospect. Folks got it in their heads that he was a sure fire "beast" much like Richmond, Kongbo and Warrior. A red flag for me was the issue with the grades combined with showing up in such bad shape. Anything we get from him is gravy and frankly, it will also be unexpected.
Pruitt's a pretty good at evaluations, and remember he talked about him being able to play all LB positions, so I'm sure one of them will fit. He may be a guy like D. Taylor who takes a few years to catch on, but I'd expect he contributes this year, as it's really year 2 for him.

Yes, complete bust. What the hell was CP thinking when he was recruited?

Siap, but applies here as well:

I've said it several times over the past few months, but we, as a fan base, have been conditioned over the past sevral years to think that if a guy that's highly rated comes in and doesn't turn out to be good to great from the jump, then he's a bust.

and there's good precedents there to back up why we feel that way....that shouldn't be overlooked here lol. cause we most certainly have had our fair share of "busts".

but that's still the exception not the rule...imagine if guys like Kmac, Tuttle, bates, barnett, phillips, hall, jack jones...etc, etc, etc...came in here w/out HAVING to be contributors...significant contributors....starting on day 1, and were allowed the opportunity to develop some?

i'd wager that not all of them would have left here with some of the percepitons they left with, as far as being a bust, or not having lived up to the hype.

we have a few guys on the roster right now...Emerson, Peterson are two that come to mind...that have already been given this label. and the reality is they're both very YOUNG, and do have plenty of time to be very good players here.

and as good as we think kids like HT, crouch, wright, Morris, Mcollough, keyton etc, etc are, they all have had certain expectations already placed on them as true freshmen.

we'll be back when we finally don't HAVE to count on the incoming class to be the most talented players on the team....

Chris Donald, Kenny O’Neil, and Daniel Brooks.......now those were busts. Can’t say that about Peterson yet.

Daniel Brooks! That's the guy whose name escaped me. Lot's of hype surrounding him, but he never adjusted. There was another kid from the Knoxville area. Either a LB or DE. Everyone was nuts to get him signed. Never amounted to much either. Just can't recall the name. White kid if memory serves.

Daniel Brooks! That's the guy whose name escaped me. Lot's of hype surrounding him, but he never adjusted. There was another kid from the Knoxville area. Either a LB or DE. Everyone was nuts to get him signed. Never amounted to much either. Just can't recall the name. White kid if memory serves.

Sounds like one of the Collins brothers?

Most freshmen show up out of shape. Out of shape for him was probably in shape for 90% of the board.

VN Store

Back