Knoxville Restaurants

The Bourbon Bird location was a concept building for years for the Ruby Tuesday corporation. They would put in a concept to see how it worked and after a little time, shut it down and rework it into a new concept. They let go of it before Hurricane Grill & Wings went in. That was the first non-RT concept.

Hurricane Grill and Wings was the place I was thinking of. I don’t think that was two years ago was it?

I thought something was there (cant remember what), then it closed down and Hurricane was there roughly a year ago, then it became Bourbon Bird which also closed down. Apparently I’m wrong and BB never opened.

I’m not sure I understand the “concept building” thing, how does that work?

Also, does anyone know why Burboun Bird never opened? That seems odd.

Hurricane Grill and Wings was the place I was thinking of. I don’t think that was two years ago was it?

I thought something was there (cant remember what), then it closed down and Hurricane was there roughly a year ago, then it became Bourbon Bird which also closed down. Apparently I’m wrong and BB never opened.

Ruby Tuesday owned the building and used it to test restaurant ideas to see if they would work as their own entities. So they would take the idea and build an entire restaurant and let it go for a year or two. Then they would cannibalize it and start over with a new idea. People thought it was a location that was cursed, when it was never meant to have a restaurant stay there.

As for Bourbon Bird, last I heard is that the majority owner (who was also an owner of The Alley) left the country and all the funding dried up. It was funny because The Sports Animal had an advertising deal with them for months after they were supposed to open end of 2017. Bourbon Bird had bought a longterm deal for a discount and, even though they never opened, WNML kept running their ads because they weren't going to be held in any way liable for the restaurant failing to get up off the ground (a little chicken humor there)

giphy.gif

It went something like this:
Ruby Tuesday closes it's Lovell Road location but maintains the property.
Jim N Nick's Bar-B-Q - Ruby Tuesday concept moves in and eventually closes
Marlin and Ray's - Ruby Tuesday concept moves in and eventually closes
Ruby Tuesday stops using that location and sells it.
Hurricane Grill and Wings buys the property and opens.
Bourbon Bird tried to open.

The likely reason this was possible is because Ruby Tuesdays headquarters(Center for Leadership Excellence) is located in Maryville and the Lovell Rd. location was convenient and within Knox County but specifically the Farragut area. A far better test location for restaurants than Maryville.

I need a Hattie B's near campus, personally.

I would also like an Edley's or Martin's BBQ location. I really like the wings at Sweet P's, but sometimes I need brisket and I don't care for Sweet P's brisket.

Go into Maryville. Foothills Milling Co. and Walnut Kitchen. Both are excellent. Good chance you’ll run into Phil Fulmer at both of those places. Also check out Maryville Corner Market/Cafe. Very small market selling produce and convenient items but do a big lunch business and beers on tap. Can’t stir it with a stick at lunch time. Very popular.

Good deal. I’ll be sure to hit those up when I get back. The unit took me to Aroma Cafe once and it was wonderful. Have you ever been?

I would also like an Edley's or Martin's BBQ location. I really like the wings at Sweet P's, but sometimes I need brisket and I don't care for Sweet P's brisket.

Archer's does slice to order brisket on Fridays. There's one in Fountain City not too far from Campus or down Kingston Pike in Bearden.

Go to Jackie's Dream.

Have you had brisket or burnt ends at Full Service or Dead End?

Reactions: Boca Vol
FYI: M&M and Full Service both got 4.5 stars on Tripadvisor where Dead End only got 4.

Not a fan of Dead end’s ribs but the sides and the brisket are good. Sweet Ps is my fav all around but lately they have been buying a different rib cut and the actual rib is very small. Not happy about that. Archers is last on my list. Tried it twice and both times it was terrible. The ribs came out of the warmer soggy.

Full Service: No
Dead End: Yes

I am unfamiliar with the former.
Full Service has three locations: Farragut, Maryville, and North Knoxville. It is our go-to for BBQ take out, usually on a busy school night. They do burnt ends on Fridays, I believe.

Well, I hate to report this but we visited Bravo tonight for the first time in a little over 6 months and it was unimpressive, and disappointing which is sad because they used to be a solid go to Italian restaurant. They apparently changed their menu sometime back in November. They cut quite a few options off the menu and streamlined it. They used to have great appetizers like fried ravioli, a couple different flatbread dishes that were excellent but not anymore. One of our party ordered the lobster bisque claiming it was peppery and not the same as it used to be, it was sent back. I ordered the lobster ravioli and the dish was served as usual but seriously lacking sauce. The table beside us had ordered an alfredo pasta dish which was also lacking sauce and even they had to request more. I asked the server if they had some sort of sauce nazi working in the kitchen. The restaurant was also 75% empty on a Thursday night. We eventually found out why. It is not the Bravo that it used to be sadly.

VN Store

Back