Looking like KJH is the play

It is neither neat, nor progressive. To me it reeks of co-dependence and an inability to function without your spouse. This is about coaching basketball. For all we know he's the one responsible for any success she has had at all. What happens if they hire Kellie but she isn't allowed to have him on her staff? Just seems to me like it could be a total wreck.

Also way too many possible interpersonal issues. God forbid one of them have an affair or something and end up in a messy divorce. That would sure be great for things.
Your opinion is yours so others have a different one. No right or wrong just different!!

Reactions: Smallvol#1
It is neither neat, nor progressive. To me it reeks of co-dependence and an inability to function without your spouse. This is about coaching basketball. For all we know he's the one responsible for any success she has had at all. What happens if they hire Kellie but she isn't allowed to have him on her staff? Just seems to me like it could be a total wreck.

Also way too many possible interpersonal issues. God forbid one of them have an affair or something and end up in a messy divorce. That would sure be great for things.
Different strokes. Why assume they couldn't function apart as opposed to they don't want to? Yes I know its rare, and Lord knows I couldn't do it, but they've been doing it successfully, navigating every issue you laid out, for about 15 yrs. Seems to work well. Who in the world am I to call it co-dependent as if they were laying around shooting each other up? Mutual respect maybe? Wanting to be together as a family more than 1 coaching job, let alone 2 would allow? A way to accommodate both careers?

I still think its an absolutely great example for kids, especially since she's in charge and he's the assistant and totally ok with it. So what if he's the brains behind the scene (which bothers me as a little dismissive of KJH own skills)? He's ok with that too? What a guy!

All that said, I would be at least hesitant about it if it had not worked well for so long. Listen, anything any married couple can do successfully together after 15 yrs is to be celebrated.

I never thought of the Weeklys as being "co-dependent" in a bad way, but I guess that point could be made.

Last edited:
Different strokes. Why assume they couldn't function apart as opposed to they don't want to? Yes I know its rare, and Lord knows I couldn't do it, but they've been doing it successfully, navigating every issue you laid out, for about 15 yrs. Seems to work well. Who in the world am I to call it co-dependent as if they were laying around shooting each other up? Mutual respect maybe? Wanting to be together as a family more than 1 coaching job, let alone 2 would allow? A way to accommodate both careers?

I still think its an absolutely great example for kids, especially since she's in charge and he's the assistant and totally ok with it. So what if he's the brains behind the scene (which bothers me as a little dismissive of KJH own skills)? He's ok with that too? What a guy!

All that said, I would be at least hesitant about it if it had not worked well for so long. Listen, anything any married couple can do successfully together after 15 yrs is to be celebrated.
Amen Brother Amen!!!!

I never thought of the Weeklys as being "co-dependent" in a bad way, but I guess that point could be made.

Seems to work well for them, I agree. Softball is a totally different sport though with a very different practice structure. And I love softball, but the details and intensity aren't the same as in basketball. Which is why you see maybe 1/4 of the transfers that you see in women's college basketball.

I think having spouses in practice makes it very difficult for players. Your first assistant should be someone players can go to when they have a problem, or on a day when coach has been really tough on them. When players know their assistant coach is going home and laying in the same bed with head coach it eliminates that comfort level. That's one of the things Holly was very good at over her tenure as an assistant, she was a welcoming shoulder to cry on after Pat ripped you in half in front of the rest of the team. Chris Daley is another great example. I just feel like it creates a bad dynamic for the program and for the players. It hasn't proved to be a winning combination for the Harper's like it has for the Weekly's either.

These are personal opinions for sure, just bringing it into the conversation because I believe it has to be considered.

Reactions: VOL_Lyfe
That's fair. It would seem essential to hear from former players and felliw coaches how it worked out.

I just think we should stick to professional stuff rather than hypothetical personal problems. Any coach could have domestic problems affect job performance (and perhaps that should be discussed during tbe interview in this situation. Also, any coach, male or female, could pull a Tyler.

Reactions: VolBall09
Missouri State
SOS 77
Record vs top 25: 3-4
RPI 52

Florida Gulf Coast
SOS 219
Record vs top 25: 0-2
RPI 63

Common opponents: Stanford
Missouri State lost to Stanford 55 to 46
Florida Gulf Coast lost to Stanford 88 to 65

*note* Florida Gulf Coast played Stanford in their 4th game of the season compared to Missouri State playing them in the Sweet 16.
/
Lady Vol record vs top 25: 1-7

That's fair. It would seem essential to hear from former players and felliw coaches how it worked out.

I just think we should stick to professional stuff rather than hypothetical personal problems. Any coach could have domestic problems affect job performance (and perhaps that should be discussed during tbe interview in this situation. Also, any coach, male or female, could pull a Tyler.

That is entirely fair, I think it would be silly to not consider it though.

Really? Super comedic to look at her entire 15 yr record and not just the impressive run this year? I'd say its pretty irresponsible not to do that.

I love KJH, want to be excited about her, but doubt any coach this far into their career is suddenly going from average to top tier. I realize she'll have resources and a roster at Tenn she's never had, and I pray to the basketball gods its enough. But IMO, objectively looking at her record she's definitely a gamble and fans are rightfully nervous.

NvDiXuAz_400x400.jpg

Maybe she should be on the interview list, LOL!
Molly Miller is the Division II Coach of the Year and will officially receive the Pat Summitt Award at the WBCA’s annual convention held in conjunction with the NCAA Women’s Final Four in Tampa, Florida. She has a career winning percentage of .902 (147–16). This year her team was 34-0.

I don't know who Dan Molloy is nor do I frankly care, but Kellie Jolly Harper's successor at NC State has been much more successful than she was and has encountered none of the alleged stumbling blocks which supposedly led to her unfair (per Volnation) firing ... I don't believe the spin that she was treated unfairly in Raleigh. NC State fired her because they wanted to win more than just 52.2% of their games, they wanted to recruit better players and they wanted to make the NCAA Tournament more than just one time out of four seasons ... and so, they hired a better coach. There is no reason for Tennessee fans to be enthused about this potential hire. Tennessee should be able to do better than Kellie Jolly Harper.

Maybe she should be on the interview list, LOL!
Molly Miller is the Division II Coach of the Year and will officially receive the Pat Summitt Award at the WBCA’s annual convention held in conjunction with the NCAA Women’s Final Four in Tampa, Florida. She has a career winning percentage of .902 (147–16). This year her team was 34-0.

They finished 35-1 and lost in the semifinals of the NCAA-II, but still amazing percentage.

A few shots to keep TenUhSee awake:

IMG_8710-e1484891679429.jpg
25e4edf8-0ccf-4065-9cff-3be7083d18b3-Drury34.jpg
molly%20miller%20_OP_1_CP__1516147385096.png_31835832_ver1.0_640_360.jpg
Molly-Miller.jpg

Lady Vols Opening:
spacer.gif
Phillip Fulmer will be interviewing candidates in Tampa this week. One name you can scratch off the list is Jeff Walz. Sure, Walz campaigned for the job but as I wrote here in the past couple of weeks, but those that campaign for jobs at Tennessee NEVER get hired. And I mean NEVER. Think about the last candidate to get a job that waged a campaign. As much as I'd like to see him, you can cross Walz off the list.

I expect Tennessee to talk to former Lady Vol Kellie Jolly Harper. She got hot at the right time in making the Sweet 16 at Missouri State. She makes sense. She checks a lot of boxes. Plus her husband is an assistant which is an arrangement that's worked really well in softball. Hiring Harper would give Phillip Fulmer a cheap alternative to trying to woo a more accomplished coach. Plus Harper would probably relish the opportunity to get back into the big time after failing to move the bar at NC State. To her credit she's owned her failure at State and said she learned a lot from it. I think she has an excellent chance to get the job. Of course watch somebody else floor him in Tampa. As we know around here, you never know.

This from the Basilio blog today.

Lady Vols Opening:
spacer.gif
Phillip Fulmer will be interviewing candidates in Tampa this week. One name you can scratch off the list is Jeff Walz. Sure, Walz campaigned for the job but as I wrote here in the past couple of weeks, but those that campaign for jobs at Tennessee NEVER get hired. And I mean NEVER. Think about the last candidate to get a job that waged a campaign. As much as I'd like to see him, you can cross Walz off the list.

I expect Tennessee to talk to former Lady Vol Kellie Jolly Harper. She got hot at the right time in making the Sweet 16 at Missouri State. She makes sense. She checks a lot of boxes. Plus her husband is an assistant which is an arrangement that's worked really well in softball. Hiring Harper would give Phillip Fulmer a cheap alternative to trying to woo a more accomplished coach. Plus Harper would probably relish the opportunity to get back into the big time after failing to move the bar at NC State. To her credit she's owned her failure at State and said she learned a lot from it. I think she has an excellent chance to get the job. Of course watch somebody else floor him in Tampa. As we know around here, you never know.

This from the Basilio blog today.

Hiring an accomplished coach should be priority #1. Hiring KJH to get a “package deal” is about as ignorant as hiring a “cheap alternative”. And “peaking at the right time” is not, and should not, be the reason you consider a coach, either. We’re not selling Vienna Sausage here folks.. this is a historic program.

Let’s hope this is all speculation.

VN Store

Back