Is there any chance whatsoever...

lvocd

... that once Fulmer announces his choice, regardless of who it is, that there could be at least a day or two of celebration of a truly momentous time in women’s sport before the ravenous vultures among this fanbase attack his decision?

We should all be resting easy that Fulmer is going to make his decision only after talking to several candidates, as well as several key supporters.
In my fantasy world, the Lady Vol fanbase will show up next season in record numbers regardless of who the next coach is. It would certainly be a sweet way to pay tribute to the past while supporting the future. :)

Fulmer seems up to the task, and didn't go cheap w/ any aspect of football from what I can tell. He delayed the Neyland construction to not put us in debt, so, hypothetically, we're healthier financialy, and knows if we're going to be the best, you've got to hire the best. I'd say he'll make a solid hire. This isn't Hammy in charge.

If Phil Fulmer goes cheap and hires a mid-major head coach or an assistant coach that new coach will not have my support and they will have to earn my support by their coaching.

Hopefully any coach will have to earn the respect of LV nation. If we get Oregon St coach he is gonna be “cheaper” but he is a good coach.

The Buffalo coach is a midmajor coach but her team plays above it’s level and is exciting. But she gets her team to play and play well. I know she isn’t really in the convo of TN possibilities but I am just thinking that because you’re at a midmajor doesn’t mean you can’t move UT in the right direction.

My concern is does the new coach have the ability to elevate their team, elevate their coaching ability, recognize when changes need to be made... all things the past coach had little knowledge of until it was too late. And for Pete’s sake how about a offense that moves and flows.

People are already saying that xxx should be coach and why yyy should not be coach so when Fulmer picks someone, some people will want to show other their “superior” knowledge by saying why that choice is questionable. Every time UT does not win the SEC or National Title, they will come on this forum saying coach yyy would have done better. That way they can show their “superior” knowledge and feel smug.

For those of you calling for coaches with no head coaching experience or Power 5 experience as a head coach here are some facts to chew on.

This is a beast. This will require the best that have proven they can handle a job like Tennessee. Coaches that have been power 5 and failed should not be considered. This is not the basketball landscape that it was when Pat was hired. Things have changed and changed a lot.

I think if the truth is known, whats happened here is easy to see. The coaches did a pretty good job recruiting top kids, but failed at being able to handle all the egos. This is or could be the biggest thing a top program has to deal with when getting high profile athletes and parents. I say parents because thats part of the package, as it was not in the days of Pats reign. Coach would have pulled her hair out dealing with some of these kids and parents. Ill bet if you ask Holly or her assistants they would echo this or any other high level programs coach. Just look at the world we live in now and tell me I am wrong.

As far as to say this coach has won at mid major and been successful and we should hire them, well I have said before at this point in the Lady Vols history we do not have the time nor the patience to train a coach. The fan base wont let that happen, not can the program sustain another few years of trying to get it right. We must have a proven coach who has already been through the process and proven they can do what needs to be done here at this level, and the ability to get this done in a couple three years. Its what we demand.

So where does that leave us with choices? Ask yourself what you would do given this large looming task. Hire a mid major coach? Hire someone with no experience as a head coach? Hire an assistant? I see lots of names thrown out since CHW was fired. I wonder how many know how things work behind the scenes to put a team on the floor that will make our fan base happy? Some say only hire a woman. No men. How sexist. Also how stupid to limit our great tradition that we want back to its glory that we should take such a close minded look at a coaching search based on anything but who would be the best candidate to restore this once great program to its rightful spot in this great sport we love so much.

With that being said, if we get the right person, expect turnover. Its coming and coming soon. This is the by product of what you have seen publicly, behind the scenes and on the court. Change is a awesome thing. Change is also something that people dont adapt to well. Look no further than this very message board. Gotta have a coach from " the tree" or a "female" only coach. Change is coming Lady Vol fans, lets just hope the Phillip Fulmer is smart enough to understand this hire might be his biggest.

I was concerned in the appointment of Philip Fulmer as Athletic Director that he might be reluctant to fire coaches that were not producing results because of past friendships with them. I even doubted that he would terminated Harley Warlick. He proved me wrong. In the termination of Warlick, she was just plain cut loose with no offer or appointment to some other position within the university. This alone was a saving of several hundred thousand dollars per year in a useless position. With the way that Fulmer handled the acquiring of a whole new football staff, I think he will come up with a replacement coach for the Lady Vols basketball team that is the best that can be acquired at whatever cost is needed. I admire Fulmer for delaying the continued upgrading of Neyland stadium and not putting a financial strain on the athletic program. Fulmer has in the past been a strong supporter of the Lady Vols basketball team and regular in attendance at games. Our main problem was that we waited to long to "dump" Warlick. We will be back again.

For those of you calling for coaches with no head coaching experience or Power 5 experience as a head coach here are some facts to chew on.

This is a beast. This will require the best that have proven they can handle a job like Tennessee. Coaches that have been power 5 and failed should not be considered. This is not the basketball landscape that it was when Pat was hired. Things have changed and changed a lot.

I think if the truth is known, whats happened here is easy to see. The coaches did a pretty good job recruiting top kids, but failed at being able to handle all the egos. This is or could be the biggest thing a top program has to deal with when getting high profile athletes and parents. I say parents because thats part of the package, as it was not in the days of Pats reign. Coach would have pulled her hair out dealing with some of these kids and parents. Ill bet if you ask Holly or her assistants they would echo this or any other high level programs coach. Just look at the world we live in now and tell me I am wrong.

As far as to say this coach has won at mid major and been successful and we should hire them, well I have said before at this point in the Lady Vols history we do not have the time nor the patience to train a coach. The fan base wont let that happen, not can the program sustain another few years of trying to get it right. We must have a proven coach who has already been through the process and proven they can do what needs to be done here at this level, and the ability to get this done in a couple three years. Its what we demand.

So where does that leave us with choices? Ask yourself what you would do given this large looming task. Hire a mid major coach? Hire someone with no experience as a head coach? Hire an assistant? I see lots of names thrown out since CHW was fired. I wonder how many know how things work behind the scenes to put a team on the floor that will make our fan base happy? Some say only hire a woman. No men. How sexist. Also how stupid to limit our great tradition that we want back to its glory that we should take such a close minded look at a coaching search based on anything but who would be the best candidate to restore this once great program to its rightful spot in this great sport we love so much.

With that being said, if we get the right person, expect turnover. Its coming and coming soon. This is the by product of what you have seen publicly, behind the scenes and on the court. Change is a awesome thing. Change is also something that people dont adapt to well. Look no further than this very message board. Gotta have a coach from " the tree" or a "female" only coach. Change is coming Lady Vol fans, lets just hope the Phillip Fulmer is smart enough to understand this hire might be his biggest.
I don't see where hiring only a woman coach makes any sense. If we want the LadyVols back at the top of the heap, Fulmer needs to make the big hire, regardless if it's a man or a woman. There are several top women's programs with men coaches. Just make the best hire.

... that once Fulmer announces his choice, regardless of who it is, that there could be at least a day or two of celebration of a truly momentous time in women’s sport before the ravenous vultures among this fanbase attack his decision?

We should all be resting easy that Fulmer is going to make his decision only after talking to several candidates, as well as several key supporters.
In my fantasy world, the Lady Vol fanbase will show up next season in record numbers regardless of who the next coach is. It would certainly be a sweet way to pay tribute to the past while supporting the future. :)
Not a chance in hell

You know, I'm good with a pretty much everything that goes on in the athletic dept but, with everything that has been going on with the program the past few years and with what transpired a few days ago, I will just say, that i will not be happy going forth, if the A dept doesn't do right by LV hoops 🏀... sorry to disappoint but, the LVs new coach will arguably be the biggest happening in recent women's basketball history...will be only the 3rd coach in nearly 40yrs...Go LVFL

Lets don't say that PF is up to the job of a great hire just yet. Basically his only big hire was a assistance coach with no head coach experience. Don't get me wrong I have no problem with the JP hire, think it was a very good hire. I have the wait and see attitude on where he goes with this hire.

NO, there is no chance.........

If Phil Fulmer goes cheap and hires a mid-major head coach or an assistant coach that new coach will not have my support and they will have to earn my support by their coaching.

Waltz is not coming. He wants a big raise. So get off your high horse and accept the fact that there are a lot of super assistants and head coaches at small schools who are very good and would do well at UT. You sound like the spoiled kids of today who say my way or I quit.

The hired coach needs to have proven experience in the job expectations. If expectations are final 4 then she/he must have that experience on their resume, not potentially. The rest is up to Fulmer (I doubt its Fulmer) but this is a basic hiring practice this administration needs to utilize for every position. They started in the right direction with Barnes.

Waltz is not coming. He wants a big raise. So get off your high horse and accept the fact that there are a lot of super assistants and head coaches at small schools who are very good and would do well at UT. You sound like the spoiled kids of today who say my way or I quit.

I still think Jeff Walz will be the next Tennessee women's basketball coach. If you don't like that don't respond to my posts and better yet put me on ignore!

th.gif

VN Store

Back