Is there any chance whatsoever...

Look at my avatar.........she is the perfect fit at UT. Amazing assistant coach who has made Notre Dame a major power.

"Since joining the Notre Dame coaching staff 11 years ago, Ivey has helped the Fighting Irish post a 351-51 (.873) record, including six NCAA Women's Final Four berths, five NCAA title game appearances, a 2018 national championship and 12 conference championships (seven regular season, five tournaments split between the BIG EAST and ACC).

Over the last seven years in particular, Notre Dame has ranked in the top-12 in field goal percentage (led the country in 2013-14 season), scoring offense and assists, with the 2018 championship squad ranking in the top-five in all the afore mentioned categories. In fact, the 2013-14 season was punctuated with a school-record 86.1 points per game (second in the nation), 765 assists (second in the nation) and 1.39 assist/turnover ratio (fifth in the nation).

In addition to her achievements in player development with such proteges as All-Americans Skylar Diggins, Jewell Loyd, Lindsay Allen and Arike Ogunbowale, Ivey has emerged as a rising star on the recruiting trail, with a sharp eye for young up-and-coming talent. In fact, she has helped Notre Dame attract top-10 incoming classes in eight of the past nine years, as the 2018 class ranked No. 7 in the nation.

What's more, Ivey has shown brilliant prowess when it comes to scouting and in-game strategy. In the past six years alone, she has been directly responsible for creating the game plans that led to victories over Duke (11 times), Tennessee (seven times), Florida State (six times), Connecticut (four times), Maryland (three times), Louisville (six times), Syracuse (five times), UCLA (three times), Baylor (twice), Texas A&M (twice) and Purdue (two times) and South Carolina, among many others. One of the now more memorable scout wins was against undefeated UConn in the 2018 National Semifinal, downing the Huskies 91-89 in OT. "

Reactions: lvocd
The women's teams which are most successful have passionate coaches. Pat was very passionate, and it carried over to her players. Holly was not passionate. She could only walk back and forth with her arms crossed; shaking her head at times; but not fully engaged. It showed in her players. And I repeat; I do not remember 1 player under Holly who improved from the time she got to Knoxville. Pat was totally opposite in all areas.

Having said that, I realize there will be those who second guess Phil Fulmer on his choice; just as they did with Coach Pruitt; and as before Fulmer with the selection of Coach Barnes, but I trust Phil Fulmer to allow his love for Tennessee to guide him to the person who will be passionate about Tennessee and our team.

If Phil Fulmer goes cheap and hires a mid-major head coach or an assistant coach that new coach will not have my support and they will have to earn my support by their coaching.
I respectfully disagree....if he were to hire an assistant like Hammon or Ivey, I'd be pumped and I'm sure others would be too.

Reactions: volman128
Look at my avatar.........she is the perfect fit at UT. Amazing assistant coach who has made Notre Dame a major power.

"Since joining the Notre Dame coaching staff 11 years ago, Ivey has helped the Fighting Irish post a 351-51 (.873) record, including six NCAA Women's Final Four berths, five NCAA title game appearances, a 2018 national championship and 12 conference championships (seven regular season, five tournaments split between the BIG EAST and ACC).

Over the last seven years in particular, Notre Dame has ranked in the top-12 in field goal percentage (led the country in 2013-14 season), scoring offense and assists, with the 2018 championship squad ranking in the top-five in all the afore mentioned categories. In fact, the 2013-14 season was punctuated with a school-record 86.1 points per game (second in the nation), 765 assists (second in the nation) and 1.39 assist/turnover ratio (fifth in the nation).

In addition to her achievements in player development with such proteges as All-Americans Skylar Diggins, Jewell Loyd, Lindsay Allen and Arike Ogunbowale, Ivey has emerged as a rising star on the recruiting trail, with a sharp eye for young up-and-coming talent. In fact, she has helped Notre Dame attract top-10 incoming classes in eight of the past nine years, as the 2018 class ranked No. 7 in the nation.

What's more, Ivey has shown brilliant prowess when it comes to scouting and in-game strategy. In the past six years alone, she has been directly responsible for creating the game plans that led to victories over Duke (11 times), Tennessee (seven times), Florida State (six times), Connecticut (four times), Maryland (three times), Louisville (six times), Syracuse (five times), UCLA (three times), Baylor (twice), Texas A&M (twice) and Purdue (two times) and South Carolina, among many others. One of the now more memorable scout wins was against undefeated UConn in the 2018 National Semifinal, downing the Huskies 91-89 in OT. "

Fine argument for hiring an asistant. I only want a proven head coach but I could get on board if she is hired.

Reactions: WVU05UT09
If Phil Fulmer goes cheap and hires a mid-major head coach or an assistant coach that new coach will not have my support and they will have to earn my support by their coaching.
Coach Pearl, from a small college, says you are wrong!

So better question is when Little Ms. Muffet gets off her tuffet does she bolt for ND?

Sorry saw an opportunity to run with the rhyme and took it 😂

Last edited:
Waltz is not coming. He wants a big raise. So get off your high horse and accept the fact that there are a lot of super assistants and head coaches at small schools who are very good and would do well at UT. You sound like the spoiled kids of today who say my way or I quit.

I don't think they will make the mistake of hiring people without proven experience on the job description? They also don't want anyone just coming for money. Both would be mistakes.

Coach Pearl, from a small college, says you are wrong![/QUOTE

Small college coaches are certainly capable, problem is picking the right flower in a field of flowers. Get someone with proven experience for a huge position like this. I do like the idea of hiring Bruce Pearl, backdoor return to the Vols.

I surely hope people will get behind the new coach. I was all for Holly until results showed she was not a good head coach. Whomever the new coach is, I'll will support her/him until results force me to do otherwise. I hope results cause us to love our new coach. My pick would be Vic Shafer. I do not think he will be hired though.

I surely hope people will get behind the new coach. I was all for Holly until results showed she was not a good head coach. Whomever the new coach is, I'll will support her/him until results force me to do otherwise. I hope results cause us to love our new coach. My pick would be Vic Shafer. I do not think he will be hired though.
I'm planning on getting season tickets for next season, regardless of who the coach is...but I hope it is someone good haha!

Ivey is one of several really intriguing candidates that people say that Fulmer should hire. Unfortunately, it does not come down to a fan's wish list. Because the tournament is underway, we don't know which of all these coaches would actually be interested in the job. Fulmer will be constrained by who is willing to accept an offer.

If person X is hired, there will be outraged fans yelling and screaming on FB and message boards, that Fulmer was "too cheap" to hire Walz or some other big name coach and they will do so without any indication that Walz or whoever was ever a viable candidate.

In the words of Jagger/Richards, "you can't always get what you want but if try real, you'll get what you need."

Last edited:
Waltz is not coming. He wants a big raise. So get off your high horse and accept the fact that there are a lot of super assistants and head coaches at small schools who are very good and would do well at UT. You sound like the spoiled kids of today who say my way or I quit.
Not sure I agree or disagree, but don't think can rule out Waltz. Tennessee and then CT, are the two crown jewels of women's college basketball. The right fit can put us back on top. I don't think, if he want's to come to UT, that we'll let $$$ get in the way.

Reactions: mcannon1
People are already saying that xxx should be coach and why yyy should not be coach so when Fulmer picks someone, some people will want to show other their “superior” knowledge by saying why that choice is questionable. Every time UT does not win the SEC or National Title, they will come on this forum saying coach yyy would have done better. That way they can show their “superior” knowledge and feel smug.

I hope there are very few of these insecure people choosing to post. It’s not always a slam dunk to tell on a forum if someone is really boasting that they knew something negative was going to happen, or they’re just mad about the situation.

That was how I felt about Fulmer's time at Tennessee.

Reactions: mcannon1

You bring up assistants as they are the reason their head coaches were successful. Correct me if I’m wrong, but Holly was Summits’ assistant...

I’m already sick of this coaching search. I just hope it doesn’t get as ridiculous as it did when we hired out OC. Surely it won’t. Will it?

If Holly is quitting coaching...what's next for her? A book? "The Pat Way....Pat Summitts way of winning in sports and life by someone who knew her best"' -Holly Warlick.

And you talked to Walz when?

Reactions: orangealways
My level of enthusiasm is guaranteed to remain constant no matter who they hire. Unless she's super-hot.

Fulmer seems up to the task, and didn't go cheap w/ any aspect of football from what I can tell. He delayed the Neyland construction to not put us in debt, so, hypothetically, we're healthier financialy, and knows if we're going to be the best, you've got to hire the best. I'd say he'll make a solid hire. This isn't Hammy in charge.

Well. O ‘Bama supposedly has $90,000,000 in excess for their program. They have what they need athletically.
We cruise along with $7,000,000.
Being fiscally responsible is a good thing

VN Store

Back