Most Underachieving Team in Tennessee History

Football has different standards than basketball at UT. Always has and always will.
Really? Could of fooled me because we have been a damn embarrassment for close to 10 years there, yet you constantly get attacked for saying anything not sunshine pumping there as well.

Reactions: 08Vol
Should’ve won the SEC regular season championship. But didn’t.

Should’ve won the SEC tournament. But didn’t.

Should’ve been a final four team. But isn’t.

Likable or not, and we can all agree that they are, when it comes to production this team has to be the most underachieving and disappointing team in Tennessee basketball history.

Change my mind.

I think they were somewhat over-ranked and gave us what they could. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching them, wished they could've gone farther, but thank them for representing UT in a wholesome, solid-citizen manner, and for helping place the program in a leaps/bounds better position than they found it.

Reactions: LibertyVolance
Your exact words were "Cuz UT damn sure isn't winning anything worth a damn in any sport these last 15 years or so years..."
I stand corrected then, we won a conference co championship ( with the team that beat us head to head and got the 1 seed in tournament which goes to the actual champ.) congrats to the greatest team in UT basketball history. In 2 years that is the sum total of what you won.

Reactions: 08Vol
Really? Could of fooled me because we have been a damn embarrassment for close to 10 years there, yet you constantly get attacked for saying anything not sunshine pumping there as well.
I'm sorry, but if you don't understand that football means more and has higher standards at UT then I don't know what I can do for you.

It's not worth the effort to try to change your mind, but I will ask you one question. Is it just the least bit possible that this team actually overachieved considering there is not a single top 100 player on the roster?

Oh HELL NO! It can't be that! Ah...ah wanted it too bad for that to be true!

Reactions: peerless98
Nope. Just a championship banner of some sort. The Butch Jones Champions of Life era really did wear some of you down.

If you don't think winning 31 games means anything, then maybe you need to go do something else.

10 years from now other basketball fans will remember tonight's game and not a regular season game from 2008. If you don't think that's true, I can't help you.

Can't help you either then. Name ONE close Sweet 16 game from 2008 that didn't involve Tennessee. Yeah, didn't think so. But, you'd be able to find some Basketball fans that remember that night in February 2008. That's the point. If you don't think so, then you're likely stuck up this team''s tail too much. If so, then can't help you.

Again, as good a group as they are, ZERO trophies, banners, t-shirts, caps, or anything for this group. HUGELY disappointing after so many of those guys talking so big ALL year. Just big talkers. Sorry. It's all facts now.

Right after you tell me how many serious basketball school celebrate a regular season championship, especially in a year they get their ass kicked in the Sweet 16.
Both teams squandered great opportunities. The regular season title isn't much, but it's more than what this team accomplished.

Reactions: Steven5198
I'm sorry, but if you don't understand that football means more and has higher standards at UT then I don't know what I can do for you.
I do realize that, if you can’t tell I realize that I don’t know what to do for you... my point is we have sucked ass at football for close to 10 years as well, yet anything negative said about football is taboo as well.... I’m beginning to think UT admin plants posters on this site to try to keep people divided about the overall suck age of UT sports in general. There is no excuse with the overall fan base, loyalty and money coming into the UT athletic dept to be this inept for this long at pretty much every major sport... it’s re damn diculous.

Can't help you either then. Name ONE close Sweet 16 game from 2008 that didn't involve Tennessee. Yeah, didn't think so. But, you'd be able to find some Basketball fans that remember that night in February 2008. That's the point. If you don't think so, then you're likely stuck up this team''s tail too much. If so, then can't help you.

Again, as good a group as they are, ZERO trophies, banners, t-shirts, caps, or anything for this group. HUGELY disappointing after so many of those guys talking so big ALL year. Just big talkers. Sorry. It's all facts now.

ROFL....so let me get this straight. Your "proof" is I can't name a close Sweet 16 game not involving Tennessee, but that I could find some basketball fan that would remember UT/Memphis. Um genius, you'd need to see if you find anyone that remembered any Sweet 16 game from 2008, not just me.

And you said 10 years FROM NOW. If you think any non-UT fan 10 years from now is going to remember a regular season UT basketball game from 2008, you're crazy.

"most underachieving and disappointing team in Tennessee basketball history."

That's the OP. Not even close. In math 31>5. I was far more disappointed watching the 5 win Vols play than I ever was watching the 31 win Vols. In fact, the 5 win team played 1 tournament game and lost. They underachieved in every aspect of the game.

Still trolling......

Cool. Let’s hang a “won 31-games” banner and a “we were ranked #1 at one point in the season” banner right next to it.

Everyone gets a trophy while we’re at it.

Nah man, let's make a shirt saying "This team was no better than Wade Houston's last team". Because that's what you're saying. Let's everyone take a big sh** on the team because they are so terrible. They accomplished nothing. Worthless team that didn't do a damn thing.

"most underachieving and disappointing team in Tennessee basketball history."

That's the OP. Not even close. In math 31>5. I was far more disappointed watching the 5 win Vols play than I ever was watching the 31 win Vols. In fact, the 5 win team played 1 tournament game and lost. They underachieved in every aspect of the game.

Still trolling......

Some of our fans are as dumb as rocks.

UT has made it to 8 Sweet 16's all time and 1 Elite 8.

The Elite 8 team was the first team in UT history to be ranked #1 and this was the 2nd.

Its common sense that since the Elite 8 team was also #1 they are the best team in UT history.

Seeing that this Sweet 16 team is the only other one ranked #1 in program history a strong case can be made that this is the 2nd best team in UT history.

Of course seeing that Bruce Pearl got us to our only Elite 8 and swept this team that's supposedly our 2nd best team it shouldn't take a genius to figure out who is still the best coach we've ever had either.

ROFL....so let me get this straight. Your "proof" is I can't name a close Sweet 16 game not involving Tennessee, but that I could find some basketball fan that would remember UT/Memphis. Um genius, you'd need to see if you find anyone that remembered any Sweet 16 game from 2008, not just me.

And you said 10 years FROM NOW. If you think any non-UT fan 10 years from now is going to remember a regular season UT basketball game from 2008, you're crazy.

Serious basketball fans would remember it. I truly think so. Agree to disagree. The buildup was ALL year. It was truly unique. So unique that nothing has happened like it (#1 vs #2, in state, etc, etc.)since then in college basketball. Duke-UNC hasn't even had one since. Especially since it was very late in the season. That's extremely rare...

Did that game matter in the end in 2008? Heck no. Doesn't take away how UNIQUE that it was though.

I think the goal as a program is to compete for championships. This team won the SEC last year and competed for it until the last day of the season this year. We fell an overtime game short in the tournament of where we should have as a 2-seed. Hardly in contention for most underachieving anything.

VN Store

Back