Who is your top choice for a replacement?

Who is your top choice for a replacement?

• Jeff Walz

• Kellie Harper

• A top mid-major coach Fortier, Baranczyk, Krieger or Banghart

• Other (please post who)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Walz knows basketball, but is he the kind of person we want representing The Lady Vols.?!?
I don't think so, honestly. I don't see him instilling good values and heart into these kids, and I don't see him elevating their playing skills. Certainly beyond what Holly accomplished, yes, but not the way Kellie Harper or Vic Shaeffer do. Meh.

I don't think so, honestly. I don't see him instilling good values and heart into these kids, and I don't see him elevating their playing skills. Certainly beyond what Holly accomplished, yes, but not the way Kellie Harper or Vic Shaeffer do. Meh.
I don't know about the values, hope their good, but how does he not instill heart and elevate playing skills? Why is Louisville in and around the Final Four all the time lately then? Doing that with unelevated skills?

Believe me, as a LV fan, I know unelevated skills when I see them.

Reactions: MocVol
I don't know about the values, hope their good, but how does he not instill heart and elevate playing skills? Why is Louisville in and around the Final Four all the time lately then? Doing that with unelevated skills?

Believe me, as a LV fan, I know unelevated skills when I see them.
I feel like Walz needs a star to center his team around. Where would he be this season without Asia Durr carrying that team on her back? Maybe it's an unfair assessment, but that's the feeling I've got. His players also don't get drafted to the W the way other elite teams' players do.

I've watched Vic Shaeffer turn a middling SEC team with average-ranked kids coming out of high school into folks that have professional level basketball IQ. And you can tell that Kellie Harper's style of building players is similar, with less talent to choose from. I have doubts about Jeff.

I like Kellie Jolly because I believe she is a great coach who cares about her players. The fact she was an outstanding Lady Vol is just a plus. I would not want Brenda Frese on the sideline representing out university.
Brenda Frese has no business being in any conversation regarding employment at the University of Tennessee.

You haven't watched him enough then. He never has the most talent on his team, but he gets them to play hard and with pride. Sam Fuehring is the perfect example.

I feel like Walz needs a star to center his team around. Where would he be this season without Asia Durr carrying that team on her back? Maybe it's an unfair assessment, but that's the feeling I've got. His players also don't get drafted to the W the way other elite teams' players do.

I've watched Vic Shaeffer turn a middling SEC team with average-ranked kids coming out of high school into folks that have professional level basketball IQ. And you can tell that Kellie Harper's style of building players is similar, with less talent to choose from. I have doubts about Jeff.
Like how Harper got those NC State girls to fail. Once Moore got there, they regressed from all that building by Harper and succeeded immensely.

Like how Harper got those NC State girls to fail. Once Moore got there, they regressed from all that building by Harper and succeeded immensely.

I'm gonna quote from a post the other day:

Do you have any real knowledge about how things actually went down for Harper at NCST, or are you just basing your opinions on wins and losses? I ask because there are solid sources who, at the time, said that powerful forces within the Wolfpack family were EXTREMELY upset that Kay Yow’s choice to replace her, Stephanie Glance, was ignored in favor of young upstart Kellie Jolly, and then proceeded to sabotage her at every turn.

The Missouri State community, on the other hand, has fully embraced and supported her and that support has resulted in getting the Bears’ program back to the level of respect they had when assistant Jackie Stiles was a player.

I feel like Harper is a terrific coach, and I love the fact that she was born and raised in the great state of Tennessee. If she were Fulmer’s choice I wouldn’t be upset.

Coach Walz will be our new coach and hell come on down Coach Jumper you can be our assistant coach...... I’m just excited Holly is gone ( God love her) ;)

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
You haven't watched him enough then. He never has the most talent on his team, but he gets them to play hard and with pride. Sam Fuehring is the perfect example.

He has had a multitude of All Americans come thru (some stayed and some transferred). I would love for him to install his winning ways don’t get me wrong but his cupboard has not been bare for the awhile now (due to his hard work and selling UL).

Walz is our best chance of being relevant sooner and keeping our current players!! I don’t know about you guys, but I wanna keep our current crop of players and start winning right away!! Fulmer spend the money and hire Walz (he clearly wants the job.... offer him the money and let’s get on with it)!!

My first pick would be Kelly Graves. Always successful at Gonzaga and has turned Oregon into a great program. He's a great, offensive-minded coach.

I still wouldn't mind Hammon or Niele Ivey. They are wildcards because they are consistent but I think recruits would flock to play for either one. Ivey is one of the best recruiters in the country, and arguably the best not named Shea Ralph (and maybe even then...). She won a NC at ND, and can coach an offense. But it would be a question as to whether she would go back to her alma mater when it comes open when Muffet retires, but Beth Cunningham likely has that job when it's open. Also, Hammon has proven her worth as an assistant in the NBA. I think either could be successful especially given the right staff. But that's more of an instinctual thing.

I still think Gail could do very well here but I don't think she wants to coach in college again. But she would be a top choice for me.

I'm actually not a huge Walz fan because of his shady recruiting. He doesn't cheat but he's shown himself to be a slimeball on more than one occasion at Louisville, and he was also on Freese's staff at Maryland for years. Must we forget how he tried to get Mercedes Russell to come there by offering her teammate (who was clearly not LVille material) and then he pulled her offer when Cedes picked TN, right before signing day? But in terms of overall potential to take the program back to FFs, SEC championships and compete for NCs? He's the best out there in terms of actual results to gauge out of coaches that would leave their schools. He's arguably as good as any coach in the country not named Geno, Muffet or Tara. I mean, I wouldn't mind the hire, but he wouldn't be my first pick. His players do seem to enjoy playing for him and he certainly knows how to recruit and motivate players. He just lost an assistant to a HC job and he has another assistant that is in the running for Ga Tech. Regardless if he comes or stays, he will have to replace a great recruiter in Samantha Williams.

In terms of former LVs, the only coach that should be remotely considered should be Kellie. I wouldn't be absolutely mad over the hire, but I have my reservations. First, she couldn't keep her husband on staff because of state nepotism laws, so how would that work out? Kellie has proven nothing as a major D1 coach. I think she is a natural born coach and she seems to be a great motivator. I have questions about recruiting. It could work out with the right staff, but I have my doubts, and she wouldn't be a top choice for me.

Nikki has done nothing at all at LSU to warrant consideration. Honestly if she had stayed at UCLA they were on their way to becoming a powerhouse, but she got greedy and went to a school where she can't recruit. At UCLA she had recruits in her own back yard. Also, she can't coach offense. The only way she would be remotely successful is if she had a great offensive mind on her staff, like Melanie Balcomb. As it stands, Tasha Butts has been on her staff since she was at UCLA and is her top assistant, and, for all the love I have for her as a LVFL, she has proven nothing in terms of coaching or recruiting ability. I only bring this up b/c she would be very likely to follow Nikki here if she were hired.

Wildcards for former LVs are Kara Lawson and Nikki McCray. Kara has no college coaching experience, but I wouldn't be opposed at all to her being an assistant on the staff. I think she has great knowledge of the game and would be a great resource in terms of coaching and recruiting. McCray simply hasn't proven anything as a HC yet, although she obviously was a fantastic assistant at SC and was instrumental in recruiting there and getting them that NC.

Reactions: Bret178

VN Store

Back