Who is your top choice for a replacement?

Who is your top choice for a replacement?

• Jeff Walz

• Kellie Harper

• A top mid-major coach Fortier, Baranczyk, Krieger or Banghart

• Other (please post who)

Results are only viewable after voting.

bballnut90

In the options I have not included coaches like Muffet, Frese, Schaefer, Mulkey, Moore, Staley, Graves and Rueck because the odds of those coaches leaving their program are incredibly slim IMO. I also left out Kara Lawson/any top assistants since I only see individuals with head coaching experience as being realistic options at this point. No Goestekors either, although she'd be my top pick.

Out of the options below, my top pick would be a mid-major coach who has found consistent success based primarily on coaching ability above all else. I think any of Fortier, Baranczyk, Krieger and Banghart fit the ball. All are young and will be able to make their mark on Tennessee with better resources IMO.

Walz would be my next pick over Harper because he has done a very good job at Louisville building the program and overachieving the past 2 years. For better or worse, his approach feels much more "business like" rather than personal/family oriented. The reports that he's campaigning hard of the LV jobs while his team is still in the tournament speaks volumes. His business like has resulted in an awful transfer rate. From his 2008-2016 classes, 18 of the 36 players he signed didn't finish their career at Louisville. This is a terrifying number. People are also quick to overlook that the first 10 years his success was very spotty...inconsistent results and his teams never looked that strong IMO. His recruiting tactics are a little questionable and the style of coaching and atmosphere he'll bring to Tennessee will be VERY different than what we've had under Pat and even Holly.

Harper would be my last choice out of this crop of coaches. She has done a good job running multiple mid-majors to successful seasons and is a beloved Lady Vol, but I fear that if she isn't successful at Tennessee she'll face the wrath of scorned fans. Her results have been up and down overall and I think she needs to prove herself at a P5 conference before she takes the LV job. Hopefully this current run lands her a good job elsewhere.

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
I hope they aren’t considering Harper just because she’s a former Vol... clearly that’s not a good qualifier...
It is fun reading some people's clamoring for Kelly Jolly because of her history as a former player, while in other posts criticizing Holly Warlick's only accolades for being the coach is because she is a former Vol.

We don't need to get caught up in the all he or she has to have ties to Tennessee or its gotta be a former player tied to Pat get the right man or woman out there that can lead us back to the top Tennessee womens Basketball sells itself so with the right coach it won't take long to reach the top.

I like Kellie Jolly because I believe she is a great coach who cares about her players. The fact she was an outstanding Lady Vol is just a plus. I would not want Brenda Frese on the sideline representing out university.
Jeff Walz is a much better hire than either of those two

Last edited:
In my mind there is no way they fire Holly without already knowing the replacement. It seems like the cat got out of the bag sooner than expected, but they should have known with it being Tennessee it would be the worst kept secret in WCBB history.

In my mind there is no way they fire Holly without already knowing the replacement. It seems like the cat got out of the bag sooner than expected, but they should have known with it being Tennessee it would be the worst kept secret in WCBB history.
I like the guy who said his neighbor's cat would be better than Holly. Lol.

Door's open
No one's sitting at the desk

Yes,,,there is someone there
Dean
"How's it feel?
Whatcha gonna do while you have a moment to shine?

I haven't kept up with women's Basketball in over 4 years so really don't know. It was just so sad to watch the program fall like that with a former player and long time assistant at the helm. So, I will just say...Bring Back Bruce!

Reactions: kbowersjr

VN Store

Back