Will this be Holly Warlick's last game as Lady Vols coach?

You people are delusional. She just received a contract extension, has a super class coming in, and made it to the tournament. She will be back.

Reactions: ruvol
You people are delusional. She just received a contract extension, has a super class coming in, and made it to the tournament. She will be back.
I don't know if this matters or not but she was only given an extension in years but not a increase in money and I believe her buyout was lowered.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
A little over the top comment, but I think everyone can see what side of crazy you are coming from. She is being treated exactly the way any HC would in this circumstance, its time for a change for a lot of reasons and #1 is the W vs. L, she lost the locker room, she will most likely go to another school and do really well without the shadow of Pat.
If she goes to another school ( which I severely doubt),she will be a miserable failure ….the shadow of Pat has nothing whatsoever to do with her lack of coaching acumen ...I have said that since 2015 when it became apparent to me that the " peter principle " had overtaken her ,ie,she was promoted beyond her capacity to lead/coach/manage. She would be an average head coach at Christenberry Junior High School.She is too old and has demonstrated that she can not be a head coach at the Major College level so no one would hire her even if she offered her services free of charge.Holly is of retirement age and eligible to receive the State of Tennessee retirement …..that should be her avenue of escape ….she should step down gracefully after her next loss.

Actually some really inside people have told me that Coach Fulmer will ask her to step aside as early as next week and to expect that a new head coach will be announced shortly thereafter.

For the last six years all we have heard is wait until next year, when do we finally figure out that the next year is never going to come.

I think there were at least two important things mentioned in the podcast. The first was that there is practically no support for Holly in the fan base. You can see how that has played out in this forum. Every year the number of her supporters have diminished into only a select few. Go back just a couple of years and you will see an even split. Also, they are expecting many season ticket holders not to renew.
No matter who a new coach would be, the attendance will rise next year, even if just out of curiosity.

Actually some really inside people have told me that Coach Fulmer will ask her to step aside as early as next week and to expect that a new head coach will be announced shortly thereafter.

As much as I want a new coach that worries me. That would mean whoever the new coach is, would not be in the NCAA tournament. No coach is going to announce during their run in the tournament.

I'm not measuring Holly against Pat never have she could never meet that standard and not many coaches can. With Holly the problem is you wonder how she can have a bench full of McDonalds All Americans and get beat by 21 points and 6 in a row by Alabama that very seldom sniffs a McDonalds All American in women's basketball. Then there is Vandy winning in Knoxville. Then there is Arkansas, Kentucky losses at home. Not a fluke she loses these games every season to one team or another. We should replace her because her teams look lousy on the court. They commit as much as 25 turnovers in games and can't defend the dribble drive or the open three. They look like their tank is empty and have no energy to play the game. I don't believe UConn, Tennessee or any other team will ever have the dominance that they had in the past. We should be able to compete for the title and the final four every season. We should be able to make it to the final four at least every three seasons. The realization of most rational fans is were not going to get anywhere near the final four with Holly hasn't happened in 7 years and actually were headed in the other direction with each and every season.

I said from day one that she could not coach, because she tried to be friends with the girls. Even when she took over while Pat was sick, it was clear she was not the person that we needed. She had Pat's players for a couple of years that had been developed. Those girls left and she did recruit girls that were just as highly ranked, but she has NEVER had a player get better, they only get worse. Those that transferred, you can see how they excelled, so that should answer your question. We were never looking for another Legend, just a coach and with her we hot NEITHER
The comment that CHW was the most logical choice is so bogus. She sat beside the Queen of Lady's BB for 30 plus years but no other school came begging to hire Holly- why?? We now have seen the answer as the past 7 years as the program declined into mediocracy. Pats coaching tree was extensive with 78 people mentored by her went on to other programs as head coaches, assistant coaches, or administrators. Holly sat on the bench as others were hired and moved on to success. She appararently was not attractive to other programs and I think it went way beyond loyalty. She thought she had the plumb and wouldn't have to much to keep it rolling on. She was over her head from day one!

I was actually in the 99% coming back contingent on this board. Like alexvol said there are reasons to believe this is not the case anymore.

Reactions: mcannon1
The comment that CHW was the most logical choice is so bogus. She sat beside the Queen of Lady's BB for 30 plus years but no other school came begging to hire Holly- why?? We now have seen the answer as the past 7 years as the program declined into mediocracy. Pats coaching tree was extensive with 78 people mentored by her went on to other programs as head coaches, assistant coaches, or administrators. Holly sat on the bench as others were hired and moved on to success. She appararently was not attractive to other programs and I think it went way beyond loyalty. She thought she had the plumb and wouldn't have to much to keep it rolling on. She was over her head from day one!

I thought that there was one offer that Holly ultimately turned down to stay at Tennessee as Pat's assistant (associate?) coach. But at this point? I can't see any schools showing interest. I doubt any of them think she would be able to recruit the same (unless the school already has similar drawing power as Tennessee), and we damn well know that even if she does get good players, they won't perform at a high level. She should gracefully announce her retirement, step aside, and save herself the grief of failing again at another school.

Reactions: BreatheUT
When Holly took over the program, it was evident in her press conferences she was not a strong personality...She was likable, but talked very little about offensive basketball, other than throw it to the big girl and rebound....

That had been a successful formula for years under Pat, , but that style of ball was fading to the teams that shot the 3 ball well, and took advantage of our insistence to get the ball inside to the big girl attack...

For the life of me, I don't know why girls want to play for her and still come here....With Holly in control, there is no chance, not even a little one, of the LVs winning an NCAA Women's College Basketball championship.

We gave up our tickets several seasons ago....Listening to the fans talk about how bad the LVs were, when we went to watch in person, was almost comical, if it hadn't been so sad to watch......At least at home you can change the station when Holly gets that (too often) what do I do look on her face....

I said from day one that she could not coach, because she tried to be friends with the girls. Even when she took over while Pat was sick, it was clear she was not the person that we needed. She had Pat's players for a couple of years that had been developed. Those girls left and she did recruit girls that were just as highly ranked, but she has NEVER had a player get better, they only get worse. Those that transferred, you can see how they excelled, so that should answer your question. We were never looking for another Legend, just a coach and with her we hot NEITHER

If they need a friend a coach is a good friend
my friends think I am a good friend

One got better.
She hit the ground for a while in December and January,,,
but I think the Meme of the early season is going to show up and lead in this tourney
This team seems to play the best when she is at her best.

well, whatever happens with Holly I don't want this game to be the last the Lady Vols play this season...so,

GO LADY VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My sentinments exactly...
same as
wanting the Golden State lose, but to see Seth score 40

That announcement …" shortly thereafter" will be after the NCAA tourney is over.

Good cover

Her family is here
of course "here" was/is perfect
and why move on,,,when she had a chance to work lifetime to lifetime with Pat Summitt

Who wouldn't?

She was never groomed to be a HC because Pat, like all coaches, needed a consistency in every facet
Holly was her consistency in the coaching mix
Holly did her job well
Only when she began to HC did the guardplay begin to suffer

You have put good people around you rely on them fully.
I mean,
that is what your are trying to teach the players, right?

I'm not measuring Holly against Pat never have she could never meet that standard and not many coaches can. With Holly the problem is you wonder how she can have a bench full of McDonalds All Americans and get beat by 21 points and 6 in a row by Alabama that very seldom sniffs a McDonalds All American in women's basketball. Then there is Vandy winning in Knoxville. Then there is Arkansas, Kentucky losses at home. Not a fluke she loses these games every season to one team or another. We should replace her because her teams look lousy on the court. They commit as much as 25 turnovers in games and can't defend the dribble drive or the open three. They look like their tank is empty and have no energy to play the game. I don't believe UConn, Tennessee or any other team will ever have the dominance that they had in the past. We should be able to compete for the title and the final four every season. We should be able to make it to the final four at least every three seasons. The realization of most rational fans is were not going to get anywhere near the final four with Holly hasn't happened in 7 years and actually were headed in the other direction with each and every season.
Yes. Yes. And this is the year to stop the decline. There’s no reason to allow her to continue. I, for one, will NOT buy season tickets again until she’s replaced.

last game as Lady Vols coach??????

Technically the last game she Coached well was years ago! She gave up some time ago. It is over and she knew it and now is merely attempting to get as much $$$$ as possible. It she is not "let go", it is a slap to Womens Programs at UT. Fulmer surely sees that...…..or maybe not!! Getting to dance and/or when they go out has NOTHING to do with putting a new Coach in place.

Reactions: Volle and alexvol
Read that post again. Superfly did not literally say it wasn't Holly's fault."

I think it is debatable that Hollly's record (over the last four years) would be acceptable at most schools. If the set is the SEC, the trend line would have sounded alarms for even the bottom of the pack (which the LVs being all too close to that position).

He said that we can not blame Holly because of Pat's success.
Take the orange colored glasses off Mad.

Holly was the most logical choice to replace Pat. I don't think there was anyone...including people on this site...that did not think it was a great idea. It didn't work out the way everyone thought.....but she is still being measured by Pat's success. I am not sure it's fair to do that but that is a choice she made. You can't be the legend you replace (18 Final Fours and 8 national titles...geez) .....and you can't be better than Pat. Holly was doomed from day one.
I disagree. Nikki Caldwell was the obvious and correct choice. Former LV who was a HC with success on the floor and in recruiting.
They blew it and we are paying for it.

Reactions: BreatheUT and lvocd
Holly was the most logical choice to replace Pat. I don't think there was anyone...including people on this site...that did not think it was a great idea. It didn't work out the way everyone thought.....but she is still being measured by Pat's success. I am not sure it's fair to do that but that is a choice she made. You can't be the legend you replace (18 Final Fours and 8 national titles...geez) .....and you can't be better than Pat. Holly was doomed from day one.

This is the same logic when people say that Kesling will never be Ward.
It’s a straw man argument.
In both instances, UT has replaced a legend with a very mediocre talent.
There are many very good coaches and play by play people out there otherthan Holly and Bob.
Nobody is saying they have to be as good as Pat or John.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
If they need a friend a coach is a good friend
my friends think I am a good friend

One got better.
She hit the ground for a while in December and January,,,
but I think the Meme of the early season is going to show up and lead in this tourney
This team seems to play the best when she is at her best.

My sentinments exactly...
same as
wanting the Golden State lose, but to see Seth score 40

Good cover

Her family is here
of course "here" was/is perfect
and why move on,,,when she had a chance to work lifetime to lifetime with Pat Summitt

Who wouldn't?

She was never groomed to be a HC because Pat, like all coaches, needed a consistency in every facet
Holly was her consistency in the coaching mix
Holly did her job well
Only when she began to HC did the guardplay begin to suffer

You have put good people around you rely on them fully.
I mean,
that is what your are trying to teach the players, right?
Players and coaches aren't and shouldn't be "friends." Just like parents.

VN Store

Back