Will this be Holly Warlick's last game as Lady Vols coach?

NO ONE is measuring her against Pat. NO ONE

Her record is not good enough to be the coach of the Lady Vols...........PERIOD!!
Well, I will make the argument that if Tennessee was just another program that had some success but nothing that was sustained over a number of years, then Holly would be doing a good job. You are comparing her to Pat because Pat made this a woman's basketball power. The expectations are there because of Pat. So...yes...everyone is measuring her against Pat. I am not saying that it should not be done but Pat's legacy was not going to be duplicated by Holly. The game has changed and there are multiple programs that have duplicated what Tennessee did under Pat. Holly's time is done and she should leave.....but this is as much "living up to a legend" than anything else. That's the next step. Getting the next person who has to follow Holly, which will make their job much easier.

Well, I will make the argument that if Tennessee was just another program that had some success but nothing that was sustained over a number of years, then Holly would be doing a good job. You are comparing her to Pat because Pat made this a woman's basketball power. The expectations are there because of Pat. So...yes...everyone is measuring her against Pat. I am not saying that it should not be done but Pat's legacy was not going to be duplicated by Holly. The game has changed and there are multiple programs that have duplicated what Tennessee did under Pat. Holly's time is done and she should leave.....but this is as much "living up to a legend" than anything else. That's the next step. Getting the next person who has to follow Holly, which will make their job much easier.

Feel Better?
That is some major league apologetics sir. I congratulate you.

Reactions: Creekdog
A little over the top comment, but I think everyone can see what side of crazy you are coming from. She is being treated exactly the way any HC would in this circumstance, its time for a change for a lot of reasons and #1 is the W vs. L, she lost the locker room, she will most likely go to another school and do really well without the shadow of Pat.

Do you think she'll go to another school? I've thought about this, but I feel like after spending over 40 years of her life at UT, being a Knoxville native, and being in her 60s she would just hang it up. Maybe take a job in administration like Ceal Barry did at Colorado or something. I can't imagine her moving and starting over somewhere else though.

Well, I will make the argument that if Tennessee was just another program that had some success but nothing that was sustained over a number of years, then Holly would be doing a good job.

Try as I might to come up with one, I can't think of a single circumstance under which I could argue that Holly has been doing a good job. Nearly every longtime positive record the Lady Vols have ever held have gone by the wayside under Holly. There are dozens of negative markers on her watch, records that were hard fought and points of great pride for all the players and teams of the past who set them -- all gone now! And unless she gets a win against UCLA there'll be ANOTHER to add: First Lady Vol Team to Not Get 20 Wins in a Season.

Reactions: Creekdog
Holly was the most logical choice to replace Pat. I don't think there was anyone...including people on this site...that did not think it was a great idea. It didn't work out the way everyone thought.....but she is still being measured by Pat's success. I am not sure it's fair to do that but that is a choice she made. You can't be the legend you replace (18 Final Fours and 8 national titles...geez) .....and you can't be better than Pat. Holly was doomed from day one.
She was the easy choice. Lets not act like anyone had a clue what kind of hc she would be. She was handed the keys to a Porsche and drove it like a Malibu

Reactions: T.J. and Only1COJ
She was the easy choice. Lets not act like anyone had a clue what kind of hc she would be. She was handed the keys to a Porsche and drove it like a Malibu

But......But.......BUT........it us not Holly's fault. Haven't you heard?

My prediction; the LVs have to make it to the Sweet 16 for Holly to stay.

And the odds of that happening are very LOOOOOHHW (said in the voice of James Earl Jones).

An upset against UCLA is possible if the LVs have a great shooting night and UCLA is "off" but getting past Maryland is not a bet I would take.

My prediction; the LVs have to make it to the Sweet 16 for Holly to stay.

And the odds of that happening are very LOOOOOHHW (said in the voice of James Earl Jones).

An upset against UCLA is possible if the LVs have a great shooting night and UCLA is "off" but getting past Maryland is not a bet I would take.

I think you're pretty much spot on, getting to the sweet 16 might buy her some time, unfortunately. I do think we have a good shot at upsetting UCLA. They are going from Pacific to Eastern time zone and that is always hard on kids with all the traveling and having your internal clock messed up. If the Lady Vols come to play we are really pretty evenly matched. They played better the last half of the season, but numbers and style of play are about identical.

Pigs will fly if we upset them and somehow beat Maryland, if we make it to the second round I believe they will handle us pretty easily.

Reactions: madtownvol
Even though I believe it's time for a change I also believe that she deserves to go out gracefully and with our respect. This woman has dedicated basically her entire adult life to The University of Tennessee. It's never easy to follow legend and unfortunately she hasn't been able to live up to the standards that Pat set. Holly has been a class act and a great representative to the university. I would also like that to add that she has 3 SEC championships and has won over 70 percent of her games and you're crazy if you think she wouldn't be able to get another head coaching job........she would more than likely be able to get a power 5 gig somewhere else.

Reactions: GameTime
Do you think she'll go to another school? I've thought about this, but I feel like after spending over 40 years of her life at UT, being a Knoxville native, and being in her 60s she would just hang it up. Maybe take a job in administration like Ceal Barry did at Colorado or something. I can't imagine her moving and starting over somewhere else though.

She'll do it to prove a point.

She’s done. Her buyout is one year’s salary, about $800K. Fulmer will pay no more than $1 mil/yr for a new women’s coach acc Jimmy HiYaMs.

Last edited:
Everybody, male or female, no matter sport hits a point where their "all" is not good enough. For the greats as players when age and injuries begin to accumulate and their abilities decline. Others, our all are not good enough after middle or hjigh school, etc. Holly's "all" is not good enough to be the HC for the LVs. If she has a sense of honor at all she'll go on her own.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
SuperFly literally said it in his apologetics for Holly.
I don't have a dog in this fight. I was looking at it from an outside prospective. Shes lost the fan base so that is problem No.2....she seems to have lost the team..Problem No.3...I don't see how she can return. It's still a living up to the expectations that Pat set. She didn't...and I don't think anyone who coaches Tennessee in the future, ever will. I make no apologies for anything that happened in Holly's tenure. There are many, many programs that would have accepted Holly's record. Pat's record would not allow it to happen at Tennessee. It's really that simple. If Fulmer is smart he will go after a young "up and comer".

VN Store

Back