Will this be Holly Warlick's last game as Lady Vols coach?

SuperFly literally said it in his apologetics for Holly.
Read that post again. Superfly did not literally say it wasn't Holly's fault."

I think it is debatable that Hollly's record (over the last four years) would be acceptable at most schools. If the set is the SEC, the trend line would have sounded alarms for even the bottom of the pack (which the LVs being all too close to that position).

Reactions: 1reVOLver
Holly was the most logical choice to replace Pat. I don't think there was anyone...including people on this site...that did not think it was a great idea. It didn't work out the way everyone thought

Don't presume to speak for Lady Vol fans. There are plenty of knowledgeable fans here who were disappointed with the hire and could see this current train-wreck coming even when Holly was winning conference titles with Pat's leftovers...

I think when we made the NCAA it meant Holly was returning. Another year of Holly is upon us.

I don't think making the tournament or not making it would have changed a thing. Making it just strengthened the excuse. They have no intention of firing her. None whatsoever. And Fulmer being the AD? He won't do it unless she does something really dumb and gets a show cause.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
This team should be able to make the tournment coachless the entire season..... the talent alone wildly won enough games to barely squeek in.... that should tell you how good this team could be if coached up.

If we lose the game in the first round, based on not only the fractured fan base, but the pitiful won loss record of the last few seasons, I sure hope it is her last game.....

But, and that is a mighty big Bertha Butt but, Phil will probably give her another year, especially with the players coming in next season, to turn things around.....

Will it work? I don't think so.

Couple of notes to share:

I've been told by someone, whom I think has good information, that Holly took the job because HCPS asked her to. Holly didn't necessarily want it, but felt she owed it to Pat. (At least, I believe that's the gist of what I was told.)

The same person said that she thinks that Holly is ready to step down. THAT is not necessarily based on anything Holly has said; rather just the sense my friend gets.

Take this all with a grain of salt; it could all be baloney, I suppose. But, I don't think so.

Holly was the most logical choice to replace Pat. I don't think there was anyone...including people on this site...that did not think it was a great idea. It didn't work out the way everyone thought.....but she is still being measured by Pat's success. I am not sure it's fair to do that but that is a choice she made. You can't be the legend you replace (18 Final Fours and 8 national titles...geez) .....and you can't be better than Pat. Holly was doomed from day one.
I said from day one that she could not coach, because she tried to be friends with the girls. Even when she took over while Pat was sick, it was clear she was not the person that we needed. She had Pat's players for a couple of years that had been developed. Those girls left and she did recruit girls that were just as highly ranked, but she has NEVER had a player get better, they only get worse. Those that transferred, you can see how they excelled, so that should answer your question. We were never looking for another Legend, just a coach and with her we hot NEITHER

Holly would do really well at another school? I don't think anyone would want her anywhere near them. If she can't hit a home run with the best HS players in the country, what is she expected to accomplish when she can't leverage the Tennessee brand for recruiting? I doubt those kids would have fallen for Holly's pitch without the Tennessee logo on her business card.

I just don't think she's coaching material...at all. May she can go back to being an assistant coach, but that's her ceiling on the sideline.
To do well at any school, you have to be able to coach and that is not something she can put on her resume. I am pretty sure no other university would hire her that had a winning reputation.

Fire Phillip Fulmer. That's the only way to get HC out. Fulmer considers women's basketball a necessary annoyance. Boycotting the games is the only sledge hammer that will get some attention.
I think Phil Fulmer will retire again by 2021 and then Tennessee will be looking for another AD. The folks running UT will probably then hire a search firm in my opinion.

Holly was the most logical choice to replace Pat. I don't think there was anyone...including people on this site...that did not think it was a great idea. It didn't work out the way everyone thought.....but she is still being measured by Pat's success. I am not sure it's fair to do that but that is a choice she made. You can't be the legend you replace (18 Final Fours and 8 national titles...geez) .....and you can't be better than Pat. Holly was doomed from day one.
As will be the next coach, whenever that happens, because they too will be measured by a no longer applicable standard.

.....last 3+ seasons, or a collegiate WCBB generation, given recruits and developed players, what the programs' W-L% is:

13] DePaul - 75%
14] NCST -- 74%
15] Syracuse - 73%
16] Miami --- 72%
17] UCLA --- 72%
18] A&M --- 71%
19] Missouri - 70%

20] WVU ---- 69%
21] USF ----- 69%
22] Iowa ---- 68%
23] Marquette - 68%
24] ASU ----- 67%
25] Duke ---- 67%
26] Kentucky - 67%

27] Tennessee/ Warlick - 65%

28] MI State - 62%

Reactions: Momto2
little-2Bboy-2Band-2BPraying-2BDog.jpg

Well, I will make the argument that if Tennessee was just another program that had some success but nothing that was sustained over a number of years, then Holly would be doing a good job. You are comparing her to Pat because Pat made this a woman's basketball power. The expectations are there because of Pat. So...yes...everyone is measuring her against Pat. I am not saying that it should not be done but Pat's legacy was not going to be duplicated by Holly. The game has changed and there are multiple programs that have duplicated what Tennessee did under Pat. Holly's time is done and she should leave.....but this is as much "living up to a legend" than anything else. That's the next step. Getting the next person who has to follow Holly, which will make their job much easier.

Nobody comparing holly with pat, when she's not even trying to maintain one tenth of wat pat did, is a big program.If she was in a division 2 team it won't be much problem, but recruiting top players and can't develop them shows that the problem is her.Just take a look at the teams that rank from 10 through 25.. do they have better players than lady vols? I don't think so.

Do you think she'll go to another school? I've thought about this, but I feel like after spending over 40 years of her life at UT, being a Knoxville native, and being in her 60s she would just hang it up. Maybe take a job in administration like Ceal Barry did at Colorado or something. I can't imagine her moving and starting over somewhere else though.
I think her career track if she leaves UT will parallel Fulmer's as far as coaching goes. Nobody came banging on his door nor will they hers. Fulmer commented that he'd only be interested in a situation where he could compete for a national championship. Apparently no school shared that assessment of his abilities.

I think her career track if she leaves UT will parallel Fulmer's as far as coaching goes. Nobody came banging on his door nor will they hers. Fulmer commented that he'd only be interested in a situation where he could compete for a national championship. Apparently no school shared that assessment of his abilities.

VN Store

Back