Pruitt optimistic that Solomon and Gibbs will be eligible 2019

The common theme it waives this offseason is the student athlete has lawyered up. Does anyone know if Gibbs or Solomon has a lawyer helping them for eligible?

Reactions: walkenvol
Kids will come and go that’s life in athletics
Chances are if they split it’s because they didn’t want to compete or couldn’t cut it.
The more things change the more they stay the same

If kids were allowed to just transfer with no penalty, there would be way more "kids coming and going".... It would be like a " revolving door".

Your post doesn't make much sense to me.

Reactions: KBVol
A couple of points you made, I have trouble with..." coaches making millions of dollars move without penalty", actually coaches are under contracts that have specific buyouts. Your point about players..." many kids are very good players and are being recruited as much to keep them away from competitors", This sounds possible, however, players make the decision to play for a school for various reasons, namely coaches, tradition, the record of the school. They know the competition and make choices for some of these reasons. For Coaches as well as Players, both sign a contract stating certain specific goals they will attempt to achieve. Is the NCAA perfect, no way, they are working with many problems and all seem to be different. As you said, this is just my opinion.

The "buyout" has become a joke and is routinely ignored as the coach buys him/herself out and it's a point in a contract, it may be in some contracts and excluded from others, it has nothing to do with the governing body enforcing rules. The same can be said for coaches choosing schools for tradition, record the school, academics, etc etc. My point is and opinion remains, if the governing body inserts penalties on players for moving the same should be required of coaches and their staffs, sit a kid a year, sit a coach a year and his buy out contract remains and is what it is and has nothing to do with the NCAA.

It might be in the Vols long term best interest if Solomon sits this year. He likely plays 2 yrs. then turns pro. Another year in the weight room and learning the D should make him more formidable in '21 and '22.
Having him eligible to play ASAP is the best thing for the team. Having him sit a year just leaves a hole in the D-line that he would fill in 2019. We lost too much on that side of the ball to say that he would be better to sit a year. IMHO, him playing would be a huge difference maker for us and even if he plays for only two years and enters the draft he would lead that line. Also, him and the rest of the D-line playing well would generate interest from recruits. I say play him ASAP and let him elevate our D-line and draw in the recruits to replace him.

If kids were allowed to just transfer with no penalty, there would be way more "kids coming and going".... It would be like a " revolving door".

Your post doesn't make much sense to me.

Why should kids be punished if they don’t fit unhappy or recruited over?

Why should kids be punished if they don’t fit unhappy or recruited over?

Life is tough and has rules and lessons. More as you get older. Not a very good practice to let them just quit and go to another team just because they ain't happy or got recruited over because they weren't trying hard enough....or whatever. Hey, if its a legitimate reason, they can transfer without penalty, or "Punishment".

And I've been told they ain't kids. Are they or aren't they?

Reactions: rdavis007
Life is tough and has rules and lessons. More as you get older. Not a very good practice to let them just quit and go to another team just because they ain't happy or got recruited over because they weren't trying hard enough....or whatever. Hey, if its a legitimate reason, they can transfer without penalty, or "Punishment".

It’ll wreck the college game, but we’ll pay to watch...just for the fairness. 😴

Reactions: CAVPUT
You don’t get the fairness argument? Unlimited transfers?

Correct.

I agree it'll wreck the college game. I agree I'll still watch. You being facetious about it being fair?

I ain't drunk, but I could be having some sort of flashback. Lol, seriously, I've been having trouble with this lately, not just here.

Correct.

I agree it'll wreck the college game. I agree I'll still watch. You being facetious about it being fair?

I ain't drunk, but I could be having some sort of flashback. Lol, seriously, I've been having trouble with this lately, not just here.
Yeah...facetious...sarcastic...what have you. My take was we watched the game from our childhood on because it was a quality product. That’ll dip with the masses when programs are at the mercy of the whims of hyper competitive kids. You recruit that punter or OG and he gets miffed that there’s somebody parked there for a season of his eligibility. I’m sure this board would be magnanimous when our backup to the backup plan tanks. When the game’s garbage there won’t be the amount of money for them to get a fair share. I’ll stop quoting you on these so you won’t feel a need to respond.

Reactions: Behr
Yeah...facetious...sarcastic...what have you. My take was we watched the game from our childhood on because it was a quality product. That’ll dip with the masses when programs are at the mercy of the whims of hyper competitive kids. You recruit that punter or OG and he gets miffed that there’s somebody parked there for a season of his eligibility. I’m sure this board would be magnanimous when our backup to the backup plan tanks. When the game’s garbage there won’t be the amount of money for them to get a fair share. I’ll stop quoting you on these so you won’t feel a need to respond.

Okay, I did understand and shouldn't have questioned myself. I didn't feel the need to respond, Im glad I understand now.

Yep it sure is. So much so that you gotta suck it up buttercup and make chicken salad out of chicken **** sometimes but hey that’s life.

No, there’s just no point in continuing a conversation when we just agree to disagree.
I can kinda see both sides. College football is about learning to wear big boy pants, usually far away from home. It’s also a free country, so there’s that.

I can kinda see both sides. College football is about learning to wear big boy pants, usually far away from home. It’s also a free country, so there’s that.

If your told your going to play QB and you get to campus and your put at S why shouldn’t you have the abilty to go elsewhere and not sit? Conference or not.

If your told your going to play QB and you get to campus and your put at S why shouldn’t you have the abilty to go elsewhere and not sit? Conference or not.
Its a pandoras box. Coaches get reputations and if they do this they’ll lose credibility and recruiting will decline rapidly. Johnny Majors was notorious for recruiting qb’s in hs and making them db’s because they were generally the best players on the field. Charles Davis tells a story about his 1st day of freshman practice and everyone was a qb in hs. I agree with you to an extent but I see the pitfalls of a no holds barred type of transfer rule

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Its a pandoras box. Coaches get reputations and if they do this they’ll lose credibility and recruiting will decline rapidly. Johnny Majors was notorious for recruiting qb’s in hs and making them db’s because they were generally the best players on the field. Charles Davis tells a story about his 1st day of freshman practice and everyone was a qb in hs. I agree with you to an extent but I see the pitfalls of a no holds barred type of transfer rule

You could make a good argument that Meyers recruiting never declined and he was notorious for this

I was told far gone to tread water so I respectfully let it go. Without typing a laundry list of what I was trying to explain.
You can’t “explain” something that another person disagrees with.

College athletes generate millions of $ for the NCAA, all at the expense of pennies in terms of tuition and food. When coaches salaries and school earnings were in the reasonable range, the old rules made sense.

In these days, when coaches are free to do whatever and are often the highest paid state employees in a state, to tell the athletes who generate these $ that they can't transfer without penalty is absolutely ridiculous.

Any other college student can transfer w/o having to sit out of classes for a year. These students should be no different. If they can apply, be accepted and move to a new school, let them.

Whether they should be compensated is a debate for a whole different day. But the transfer rules are ridiculous.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
You could make a good argument that Meyers recruiting never declined and he was notorious for this

I don't understand your issue here. If someone wants to transfer and they have a good reason to they can and don't have to sit out a season. If not, they can't play 12 games. Big deal.

You think 'cruitin shenanigans go on now,wait till no 1 year sitting out. Players get mad they dont get their way and it will be phone calls from every coach in the NCAA. It would be a mad house.
I say keep it how it is.

VN Store

Back