We In!

Tennessee will win those two games. This was foretold in the stars ... um ... or something. I don't know. Or do I? No. But regardless of my lack of wisdom, this thing is happening. The worst season in history (so far) can have no other ending than the ending.
Hopefully after Tennessee is knocked out sometime in this Tournament Holly will announce her retirement. She could say something about the pressure being too much the last few seasons and then say she's burned out.

I think UCLA is a big favorite based on the way both teams finished. Tennessee just kind of sputtered to the finish line. And they can't pull the "disrespected" card because they really didn't do much to earn a bid. They were probably the last team in as a gift to Pat's legacy.

I don't think Onyenwere will have any problems guarding Cheridene. She projects as a Gabby Williams/Anriel Howard/Nina Davis type player. An undersized post with incredible hops who plays bigger than her size on offense and defense, and Cheridene isn't that big. I don't think Green will be able to keep up with her on the court, and the rest of their forwards have good enough height and athleticism not to let Tennessee pound them on the boards. I'm guessing a 12-15 point win that is decided midway through the third quarter in true Tennessee fashion this season.

We will see! I'm not sure Onyenwere can get it done all night. I've seen her play in person and she is a super athlete, but she is definitely undersized and they don't have anyone else to make up for it like the other teams you mentioned. All of those players were undersized for their position but played alongside a bigger girl (Anriel: McCowan/Hillsman, Nina: Cave/Mompremier/Brown/Cox, Gabby: Collier/Butler/Stewie/Stevens) . 6'1" is about as big as UCLA gets, they don't have any big body to put out there. Their 6'4" junior Rosenblum hasn't played all season and their 6'6" freshman has only entered 11 games and for just a few minutes. Everyone else is 6'1" or shorter.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Holy hell, Tennessee-Connecticut in the Sweet 16. I can't even. It's going to happen. This is like when you lock eyes with those two nice Mormon folks across the parking lot and they make a beeline toward you with smiles on their faces. You look around for anything to head toward, but it's too late and now they're here and shaking your hand and asking if you have time to talk and you know you never had a chance.

It's absolutely going to happen. I can't even.
Tennessee vs UConn would be like putting a kitten in a cage with a tiger

The LVs have the size and talent, but I think UCLA is the better team and they're better coached. Cori Close has spent a lot of time with Geno, learning how to build an elite program. UCLA isn't there yet, but they've improved this season. I expect them to come in with a chip on their shoulder. Cori thinks there's an East Coast bias against PAC-12 teams, and she'll have the Bruins ready. Hard to say if the LVs will be ready or not.

UCLA isn't that great from 3. Dean has been shooting it well and she has a funky shot. She just stops and shoots in transition and you don't expect it because she steps into her shot.

Burke shoots the 3, but only at 27% she was off most of the season and hit some shots in the PAC-12 tournament, but she's kinda all or nothing from outside. I think she leads UCLA in 3 pointers made all time though? Just not as big a part of her game this season for some reason. She went through a Meme Jackson esque slump earlier this season.

They had 9 3s against Oregon, but Oregon's defense looked about like ours in that game. They are a similar team to us in that they are either all or nothing from 3. They might have 10 one game and 0 the next, just going to depend on the night. I would say we have a SMALL advantage because of the time zone. Will be in eastern time zone like our players are used to. It will be a four hour difference for UCLA though, that can sometimes cause troubles for teams.

Biggest thing about UCLA is they score in transition. They don't do well in the half court, which is what Stanford made them do last time they played. If we can get back and get our defense set we have a chance. If Holly tries to press Onyenwere will shoot layups behind it all night. We never proved all season that we were capable of pressing without giving up open layups or open 3s.

Very evenly matched on paper. Just going to be who wants it more and who comes to play some D that day.

I actually thought this draw was better than it could have been.

I calling this already Westbrook can not guard UCLA pg Japreece Dean not a good match up for Westbrook

Last edited:
Tennessee will win those two games. This was foretold in the stars ... um ... or something. I don't know. Or do I? No. But regardless of my lack of wisdom, this thing is happening. The worst season in modern Lady Vols history (so far) can have no other ending than the ending.

Oh my gawd, you may be on to something. I mean, really... what else would stick a bigger dagger into the heart of this dreadful season than a 98-15 beatdown in the long-anticipated showdown with Connecticut in the Sweet 16? Let's just get this thing over with! lol

Oh my gawd, you may be on to something. I mean, really... what else would stick a bigger dagger into the heart of this dreadful season than a 98-15 beatdown in the long-anticipated showdown with Connecticut in the Sweet 16? Let's just get this thing over with! lol
Holly Warlick decides to retire after UConn beats Tennessee 100-28

Reactions: cutiepie5
Generally, but Tennessee is not your typical #11 seed. They have the ability to play at a much higher level...on par with most of the teams at the 3 seed line and below. There were a lot of projected # 6's that I thought they would likely beat, like a Drake or SDS. Even a #3 like NC State would be vulnerable. I think Maryland and UCLA was the worst option they could get at that line for each round.
That’s funny right there

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
I calling this this already Westbrook can not guard UCLA pg Japreece Dean not a good match up for Westbrook

I don't think she will be guarding her 1 on 1 much. I'm almost certain we will play them in a zone unless they shoot us out of it. If we do play man I would suspect Jackson will guard Dean and Westbrook will guard Corsaro.

And speaking of zone, I haven't figured out why Holly doesn't move Evina to the bottom of the 2-3 when they play it. I think Meme/Zaay would be a more effective combo at the top of the zone.

Last edited:
Reactions: travis929
Important goal: Tennessee needs just one win in the Tourney to extend the 20-win season streak to 42. If that record falls, it'll be about the 25th negative record set on Holly's watch.

Ah, but who's counting?...

Note: If the LVs were to win against UCLA, that second round game is in College Park.

Hello! Panama City!

tenor.gif

*I'm happy the streak stays alive. I expect a 1st round loss.

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
Generally, but Tennessee is not your typical #11 seed. They have the ability to play at a much higher level...on par with most of the teams at the 3 seed line and below. There were a lot of projected # 6's that I thought they would likely beat, like a Drake or SDS. Even a #3 like NC State would be vulnerable. I think Maryland and UCLA was the worst option they could get at that line for each round.

But my question is when are they going to start playing at a much higher level?

Reactions: YankeeVol
Here's my Women's Eilte 8

Baylor
NCSU

Notre Dame
Stanford

Mississippi State
Syracuse

Louisville
UConn

Here's my Women's Basketball Final 4

Baylor
Stanford

Mississippi State
UConn

National Championship Game

Stanford
UConn

2019 Women's Basketball National Champions

Stanford

But my question is when are they going to start playing at a much higher level?

To clarify, I don't think they deserve a higher seeding and I fully expect them to get pistol whipped by UCLA. They probably have no chance with Holly as their coach, but individually, Evina and Rennia are athletic, talented players with good size. Yes, Holly has ruined them for most of the season, but there's the off chance it could happen...which I can't say for the other #11 seeds.

It's also worth noting that none of the ESPN anaylsts picked Tennessee as "better than it's seeding", and are predicting UCLA vs. MD as the most intriguing 2nd round game. Rightfully so, no one respects this team.

To clarify, I don't think they deserve a higher seeding and I fully expect them to get pistol whipped by UCLA. They probably have no chance with Holly as their coach, but individually, Evina and Rennia are athletic, talented players with good size. Yes, Holly has ruined them for most of the season, but there's the off chance it could happen...which I can't say for the other #11 seeds.

It's also worth noting that none of the ESPN anaylsts picked Tennessee as "better than it's seeding", and are predicting UCLA vs. MD as the most intriguing 2nd round game. Rightfully so, no one respects this team.

Well, no matter the outcome, Holly will be back next year.

VN Store

Back