So who do you hire?

Vic has 1.6 million reasons per year not to leave MS State. Do you think we would fork over 2 million a year to get him? Not a chance.

You never know.... Would you stay at Miss St. for 1.6 or coach Tennessee for 1.6? UT doesn't necessarily have to up the pay because prestige goes a long ways.

Reactions: TMHoosierVol
Vic has 1.6 million reasons per year not to leave MS State. Do you think we would fork over 2 million a year to get him? Not a chance.

I didn't do my research. Based on that salary, I'd have to agree with you. I doubt if Fulmer would dig that deep in his wallet.

Ive said this before. Jeff Walz. Right coach. Right age. Best in the business right now. We cant hire another experiment. We have to hire someone who wont leave in 5-6 years (Vic), someone who works relentlessly, someone who has a will to win and a drive to go with it. If he can win at that cesspool UL then he can be our Moses and part the SEC waters and have us back in a final 4 in a couple years. You will thank me later.

Reactions: mcannon1
Unfortunately, Fulmer missed our chance to hire Walz after the season last year when Louisville’s AD was a dumpster fire.

He now has a raise, new contract and a large buyout...

Ive said this before. Jeff Walz. Right coach. Right age. Best in the business right now. We cant hire another experiment. We have to hire someone who wont leave in 5-6 years (Vic), someone who works relentlessly, someone who has a will to win and a drive to go with it. If he can win at that cesspool UL then he can be our Moses and part the SEC waters and have us back in a final 4 in a couple years. You will thank me later.

I wasn't looking for smart ass replies. I was looking for some reasonable explainations as to why people think he wouldn't want the job.
Oh sorry was absolutely not directed at you was actually smartassing myself for waxing hopeful about Mulkey. Just threw Vic in b/c he's in the same dreamy but not likely category. Not a response to your post. My bad.

Oh sorry was absolutely not directed at you was actually smartassing myself for waxing hopeful about Mulkey. Just threw Vic in b/c he's in the same dreamy but not likely category.

Can't get over tbe incongruity of "dreamy" mentioned in the context of "Vic Shaeffer."

Was in a thrift store today and saw a Kim Mulkey Baylor bobblehead MIB. Couldn't bring myself to part with $7.50 just to plunk bb's at a mini Cruella de Ville.

Reactions: T_Vol376 and glv98
Per the John Adams column, I think Mulkey and Frese are probably "pie-in-the-sky" candidates and probably so Walz. The key contngency is whether or nor reports are true that Fulmer wants a coach on the relative cheap.

If not true, then anything possible

If, however, Fulmer, won't put up the kind of money needed to lure any of those three away then the question is settled. Per Walz, he can stay at UoL and keep having success until some program offers major dollars to move. Why risk his brand equity to leave the strong program he has built until the right financial incentives are in play?

To get a quality coach on the comparative cheap, Fulmer may have to select someone with ties to Summitt and the program and who would be excited to rebuild the program even if the salary is not commensurate with other schools in the SEC. And then Fulmer would also be banking that loyalty would also prevent the new coach from being picked off by another school at some point in the future.

My hope is that Fulmer is willing to ante up. Salaries for women's b-ball coaches are still far less than the men's. Calipari makes 8 million a year at Kentucky. $1. 5 to 2 million could get you a cream of the crop women's coach.

Last edited:
I think the window is closing for this program. If a change is not made after this season.....fill in the blanks. After watching a few of the conference games like Oregon-Stanford, Baylor-Iowa state, it is painfully obvious how lacking the team is in all phases of the game.

Just saw the Adams column. Coverage! The damn has broken. Been so strange to have this major LV story given such a silent treatment in local media. Like the worst kept public secret ever.

Several reasons I think, sensitivity around the nature of the handoff with Pat's illness and subsequent passing. Also an inflated (and unnecessary) political correctness hesitance around anything involving the Lady Vols and the mythical raging blue hair horde. Plus there's red-haired stepchild status of anything not named football at the U of T.

If local sports radio starts talking meaningfully about the LV coaching situation you'll know the dime is really about to drop.
To get a quality coach on the comparative cheap, Fulmer may have to select someone with ties to Summitt and the program and who would be excited to rebuild the program even if the salary is not commensurate with other schools in the SEC. And then Fulmer would also be banking that loyalty would also prevent the new coach from being picked off by another school at some point in the future.

My hope is that Fulmer is willing to ante up. Salaries for women's b-ball coaches are still far less than the men's. Calipari makes 8 million a year at Kentucky. $1. 5 to 2 million could get you a cream of the crop women's coach.
Interesting. So if he won't shell out for a name, or if a name's not available or willing, maybe he'll get someone with legacy ties to ease the blow and make the small name more easily accepted. Makes sense.

I don't think I mind if we got someone who may be picked off in the future. That's always the danger of a good up n comer. I guess that's why we never had to worry about that in 30 yrs with Holly. RIght now we just need the person most capable of stopping the bleeding, if they leave in 4 years it will be because they were successful getting us on the right track.

I just hope the AD will ante up at least as much as he seems to be able to find to pay ex-coaches of various men's sports not to coach. Seems fair.

I think the window is closing for this program. If a change is not made after this season.....fill in the blanks. After watching a few of the conference games like Oregon-Stanford, Baylor-Iowa state, it is painfully obvious how lacking the team is in all phases of the game.
Time is especially short if the decline next year is as steep as it was this year. We are losing ground fast and decent recruiting cannot possibly hold up much longer.

Unfortunately, Fulmer missed our chance to hire Walz after the season last year when Louisville’s AD was a dumpster fire.

He now has a raise, new contract and a large buyout...
Per the John Adams column, I think Mulkey and Frese are probably "pie-in-the-sky" candidates and probably so Walz. The key contngency is whether or nor reports are true that Fulmer wants a coach on the relative cheap.

If not true, then anything possible

If, however, Fulmer, won't put up the kind of money needed to lure any of those three away then the question is settled. Per Walz, he can stay at UoL and keep having success until some program offers major dollars to move. Why risk his brand equity to leave the strong program he has built until the right financial incentives are in play?

Walz is not pie in the sky......

I think Phil would. He loves Lady Vol basketball, loved Pat Summitt, and would like to see the program restored. Also, he can quit paying off 1 of the former men's coaches this year. So, he'll have some money.

Reactions: cutiepie5 and glv98
If we can’t pull one of the top names away from their current position, Aaron Johnston of South Dakota State would be someone to look at. Proven winner.

It’s nowhere near a rebuilding job.
I agree and I have argued that point but from Vic's perspective it is a rebuilding job. He would have to establish things the way he wants and already has in place at MS State. Just saying why would anyone want to go thru the hassle for the same money as was suggested. That was my only point concerning a rebuild. Do it for a big raise, yes, but not for the same money.

I agree and I have argued that point but from Vic's perspective it is a rebuilding job. He would have to establish things the way he wants and already has in place at MS State. Just saying why would anyone want to go thru the hassle for the same money as was suggested. That was my only point concerning a rebuild. Do it for a big raise, yes, but not for the same money.
Oh come on... It ain't a rebuilding process. It's a restructuring process we've got all the elements they just weren't used correctly.

There is a considerable amount of the fanbase that is opposed to hiring a male coach. That portion of the fan base which is vocal and influential will never ever accept a male coach. They would much rather continue on with Holly and whatever that brings than to get someone like the coach at Louisville.

Good list but I would put Schaefer at #1.

I think Schaefer is a terrific coach. But Texas A&M's Gary Blair is 73 years old and will likely be retiring in the not-too-distant future. Many believe that Vic Schaefer, born and raised in Texas and a graduate of Texas A&M, is the logical next choice to coach the Aggies.

Who knows? He MAY want to come to Tennessee, but most people tend to move closer to where their roots are in their later years, and that's what my guess is the direction Schaefer will take.

I think Schaefer is a terrific coach. But Texas A&M's Gary Blair is 73 years old and will likely be retiring in the not-too-distant future. Many believe that Vic Schaefer, born and raised in Texas and a graduate of Texas A&M, is the logical next choice to coach the Aggies.

Who knows? He MAY want to come to Tennessee, but most people tend to move closer to where their roots are in their later years, and that's what my guess is the direction Schaefer will take.
I think Katie Meier and Wes Moore would probably be the most likely hires for Tennessee on my list

Last edited:
Reactions: BUBear and lvocd
There is a considerable amount of the fanbase that is opposed to hiring a male coach. That portion of the fan base which is vocal and influential will never ever accept a male coach. They would much rather continue on with Holly and whatever that brings than to get someone like the coach at Louisville.
I am curious about your sources for this sentiment. Who are you referring to, exactly.

Too bad. Schaefer is an awesome coach. He's able to constantly tinker around with his offense and defense gameplans based on what roster he has. Last year, it was built around Vivians and the outside shooters; this year around McCowan and mid-range scoring from the guards. He's a great strategist.

VN Store

Back