Team Chemistry: Aphrodite
Eye Test: Hera
Physical Football: Hermes
Hard Worker: Hephestus
Must-Win Game: Artemis
The 12th Man: Hestia

nm

Last edited:
Long, don't read unless bored or interested in the subject.

It makes sense to me, increased knowledge, education and access, while simultaneously being more disgruntled or less content.
Situations have greatly improved in many areas around the world but so has the knowledge of what is still lacking.

Example, China:
My guess is many that lived through the times of much worse oppression, may very well be appreciative of the strides made.
But for those that developed awareness at the time of change, or later, they also have knowledge of how much different/better things could be still.

Story from a friend.
US group visiting a sister company in China. There were US welders along and when they toured the welding facilities in the China location, they witnessed something shocking (to US welders)
The Chinese didn't have welding helmets. Instead, they had a piece of cardboard with a viewing hole and tint to view through. Which had a tendency to catch fire in their hands.
The US guys went immediately and purchased helmets for the others.
Obviously the locals conditions and circumstances improved immediately but so did their awareness. Their counterparts doing the exact same job in the US, could not only afford their own safety equipment but could afford to provide for them also. Their appreciation and conditions were both at a higher level but so was their understanding of how things "could be".

This was a simplified microcosm example but it can be applied in theory to the larger discussion.

I've openly shared my health struggles, a long with the financial disaster left as a result.
I'm very much aware and appreciative of the advancements allowing me to live and a possible chance to even partially recover.
But I admit, I'm also fully aware that I, and many others that have dealt with medical and resulting financial ruin, understand that it didn't have to be this extreme.

With our improved social conditions, we've also increased our knowledge of how far we have to go and the unnecessary barriers that we, as a society, have placed on ourselves. Knowing these examples are taking place in 2 of the wealthiest, most powerful countries on Earth that have the capabilities to resolve or lessen the situations...

Sometimes ignorance can be blissful and "he who increases knowledge, increases sorrow"
Just curious, what would you like to see done to the healthcare system in America?

Uhmm...in what way?
They took a lot of their gods and myths and renamed them. Same as the Romans did to them.

Most of Greek civilization was a copy of Egyptians. I thought this was common knowledge like the Romans reusing the Greek stuff.

Comparing Egyptian and Greek Myth through Herodotus

"In book II of The Histories, Herodotus uses Greek god’s names in reference to Egyptian gods. He is clear in stating that they are the same, but different names. He very rarely uses Egyptian names, but does mention that the Greeks took Hercules name from the Egyptian name, as well as his parent’s names, which may give light to the idea that he thought ancient Greek mythology derived from ancient Egypt mythology. "

The Greek "Father of History" acknowledged the connection. Plenty of info out there.

They took a lot of their gods and myths and renamed them. Same as the Romans did to them.

Most of Greek civilization was a copy of Egyptians. I thought this was common knowledge like the Romans reusing the Greek stuff.

Comparing Egyptian and Greek Myth through Herodotus

"In book II of The Histories, Herodotus uses Greek god’s names in reference to Egyptian gods. He is clear in stating that they are the same, but different names. He very rarely uses Egyptian names, but does mention that the Greeks took Hercules name from the Egyptian name, as well as his parent’s names, which may give light to the idea that he thought ancient Greek mythology derived from ancient Egypt mythology. "

The Greek "Father of History" acknowledged the connection. Plenty of info out there.
Ok then...but...knowing what I know of Egyptian mythology and Greek...it just seems completely different to me. Egyptian mythology seems to have a lot more in common with central American mythology than Greek, and I'm pretty sure they were not connected, and all that being said, why not throw some ancient Sumerian or other fertile crescent ancient religions in there as influences?

Reactions: butchna
Ok then...but...knowing what I know of Egyptian mythology and Greek...it just seems completely different to me. Egyptian mythology seems to have a lot more in common with central American mythology than Greek, and I'm pretty sure they were not connected, and all that being said, why not throw some ancient Sumerian or other fertile crescent ancient religions in there as influences?

Actually, there is evidence of Egyptian influence in Mesoamerica.

Land of Shinar (Sumer) has links to Egypt as well. Not going to get into a debate about which was first. But imagine an empire spanning ancient Mali (Timbuktu) all the way to ancient city of Dwarka (Modern day India)

"This brings up the question of whether Herodotus is correct in his theory that Greek myth derived from Egyptian myth, or whether it was just a happenstance occurring from the popularity of polytheism."

The source you quoted doesn't claim any certainty over whether Herodotus' hypothesis has legs or not.

So... what you guys are saying is... humans took ideas from other cultures and adapted them to their own ways... these cultures were polytheistic, and humans value certain things and were assigning gods to those things... so they ended up with gods that were mostly similar to these same things that all humans valued?

Great Scott. What a revelation!

Also, if there's some similarities in Greek culture that imitate Egyptian culture... keep in mind Alexander the Great was porking Cleopatra... I'd imagine she got to decorate the nursery and such (I know mine did :oops:)

Reactions: volunteer81
History is fluid. It is what it is until we dig up something older. Then it rewrites itself. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back