'19 FL QB Brian Maurer (Tennessee signee)

It was pretty telling that Shrout didn't even get any garbage time snaps later in the season. With JG being our only QB with experience, Maurer on board, and Harrison set to be here in 2020, Shrout's chance to make an impact here isn't looking great.
Maybe the staff didn't want Shrout to be a sacrificial lamb last year. Just a thought.

Reactions: UTSuave’
Pruitt's response on a couple of occasions when asked about JG and KC last fall was to insert unsolicited praise of Shrout into the answer. May means something. May mean nothing.

I don't think him not being ready to challenge as a true Fr necessarily says anything about this year or going forward. Truth is we haven't seen anything and cannot really know anything about anyone except JG. I just hope regardless of who it is... we get better QB play to go with improvements on the OL and elsewhere.

Apparently Shrout has all the arm talent in the world. Who knows what Chaney may be able to do with him if the kid is a willing pupil. I played in college with a kid ago was 6'6" and 240. He could toss it 70 yds with ease but he could never get the nuances of the game.

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL
Apparently Shrout has all the arm talent in the world. Who knows what Chaney may be able to do with him if the kid is a willing pupil. I played in college with a kid ago was 6'6" and 240. He could toss it 70 yds with ease but he could never get the nuances of the game.

JG has arm talent. he isnt good.

Clausen had a wet noodle...we all know how that went.

JG has arm talent. he isnt good.

Clausen had a wet noodle...we all know how that went.
Idk. I want to see him with an Oline. Still may not set the world on fire but I'm telling you he made some very nice plays at times last year. This is one of the worst Olines I've seen in this conference.

Idk. I want to see him with an Oline. Still may not set the world on fire but I'm telling you he made some very nice plays at times last year. This is one of the worst Olines I've seen in this conference.

Hopefully with a good year in the S&C program, the OL will finally be at least middle of the pack in the SEC.

Reactions: The Artful Dodger
Why would you spend a spot on Chryst and burn a redshirt as well to hand the ball off?
They wouldn’t have burned the redshirt. He could’ve played in 4 games. As for chryst I believe they didn’t know enough about quarantano and wanted another option. Maybe they believe that shrout needs more time to develop.

They wouldn’t have burned the redshirt. He could’ve played in 4 games. As for chryst I believe they didn’t know enough about quarantano and wanted another option. Maybe they believe that shrout needs more time to develop.

Could be. I think the staff knew Chryst would provide an experience at backup QB. Which he did an OK job. He wasnt that good. As far as Shrout, it kind of sucks for him because he is on his second QB coach/OC in 2 years. Thats tough on QBs. JG is on his 4th now. I always wondered if Shrout wasnt so much Pruitts guy as he was Heltons. I guess we will see. I just want the best QB to play.

kid seems like he is taking three step drop back to pass. even with swiss cheese, OC's like Chaney and Cut know how to put their QB's in position to succeed. Lot's of intermediate passes, not 15-20 yard lasers every time.

That hire was worth a million bucks. 🤔 Wait.

Reactions: memtownvol
We'll see. I don't think JG is elite or anything but I do believe he's much better than most believe. Look at Peterman a few years ago, he looked terrible here but got to the league after Chaney got ahold of him. It's just so hard for most to understand just how difficult it is to play the position if you don't get that window to set your feet, look downfield and throw the ball. If penetration is coming consistently fast even if you don't get sacked and your vision is obstructed it causes bad decisions or causes you to hold the ball.

Reactions: UTSuave’
We'll see. I don't think JG is elite or anything but I do believe he's much better than most believe. Look at Peterman a few years ago, he looked terrible here but got to the league after Chaney got ahold of him. It's just so hard for most to understand just how difficult it is to play the position if you don't get that window to set your feet, look downfield and throw the ball. If penetration is coming consistently fast even if you don't get sacked and your vision is obstructed it causes bad decisions or causes you to hold the ball.

Isnt JG's nickname 'hold the ball!'?

Could be. I think the staff knew Chryst would provide an experience at backup QB. Which he did an OK job. He wasnt that good. As far as Shrout, it kind of sucks for him because he is on his second QB coach/OC in 2 years. Thats tough on QBs. JG is on his 4th now. I always wondered if Shrout wasnt so much Pruitts guy as he was Heltons. I guess we will see. I just want the best QB to play.
I agree. Shrout was said to be very raw coming out of high school. Jg imo can be a good qb. He kinda takes the heat for his oline. If he can get some time or if they roll the pocket a bit more this year I think he’d have a good year. A lot of the problem last year was also the dropped passes. Heltons play calling was also suspect. Hopefully Chaney can get the best out of them this year.

Why would you spend a spot on Chryst and burn a redshirt as well to hand the ball off?
Could have played him in up to 4 games and redshirted him. Had some opportunities to let him see some live snaps in blowouts late in the season.

I don’t disagree with coaches bringing Shrout along slowly, though. I think it’s probably for the best and for a reason. Shrout has tons of upside, but IMO he needs a lot of development.

If Chryst would have been named the starting QB at the beginning of the year you would have seen a couple more of our close games gone the other way.JG had seniority that was the difference.

If Chryst would have been named the starting QB at the beginning of the year you would have seen a couple more of our close games gone the other way.JG had seniority that was the difference.

Sure we would have. Chryst wasnt very good. JG was a much better QB. Pruitt would have started KC if he was better. We saw how good he was when he started against Missouri.

Reactions: k-town_king

VN Store

Back