The Grill and BBQ thread

Good stuff! Thanks for the tips. I did try a second cook a couple days ago and ended up doing much better with my target temp. I might try to leave some on next age, though I’m nervous about a sink or bus tub being clean enough. We will see.
No Problem. Like I said I have been doing it a while and have learned a lot but I don't take chances when it comes to food safety. Aging beef is the least of my worries, canning stuff and fermented sausages is where you can kill people. Buy a couple of bus tubs at your local big box club like Sam's and just use them for meats. Since I process all my own game meat I have a bunch ( and I own a restaurant) that I just use for raw meats. Clorox is your friend or if you have a restaurant you frequent ask them to mix you up some Quat sanitizer its what 90% of the restaurant business rinses dishes with and what health depts. really like. That stuff kills everything but do not use it undiluted. Spray it and let it dry for a few minutes.

No Problem. Like I said I have been doing it a while and have learned a lot but I don't take chances when it comes to food safety. Aging beef is the least of my worries, canning stuff and fermented sausages is where you can kill people. Buy a couple of bus tubs at your local big box club like Sam's and just use them for meats. Since I process all my own game meat I have a bunch ( and I own a restaurant) that I just use for raw meats. Clorox is your friend or if you have a restaurant you frequent ask them to mix you up some Quat sanitizer its what 90% of the restaurant business rinses dishes with and what health depts. really like. That stuff kills everything but do not use it undiluted. Spray it and let it dry for a few minutes.

Great low heat method.

Reactions: bag12day
Parchment paper is magic, a little cornmeal on the stone is a great trick, too. I found that the best results come by prepping each pie on a piece of parchment a little bigger than the crust diameter, sliding it onto the pizza stone as is, then pulling out the paper a minute or two in to cooking, which browns the crust nicely without sticking.
Will try, thanks so much. My first and only one I went straight stone, was not pretty

Reactions: kiddiedoc
Got the butt on the Kamado for my first overnight smoke. Feels like the first night at home with a newborn. Watching the temp closely feels like listening for a noise from the kiddo. Also made a strong batch of potato salad and a couple of sauces for the pork. Looking forward to dinner tomorrow.

Reactions: Boca Vol
Got the butt on the Kamado for my first overnight smoke. Feels like the first night at home with a newborn. Watching the temp closely feels like listening for a noise from the kiddo. Also made a strong batch of potato salad and a couple of sauces for the pork. Looking forward to dinner tomorrow.

Good luck! Has it hit "the stall" yet? Usually happens when the internal temp is between 160-170.

OK, I need a little help from the BBQ Brotherhood.

Twice recently, I've grilled prime ribeyes (center cut and cap pinwheels) with less than stellar results. I've used my standard T-Rex hot/direct method, top vent removed, that always works great on filets. However, due to the high amount of marbling, I'm getting huge flares and the crust is too heavy for my liking, really overcooking the outer layer of meat and strong in taste.

So, I think my options are:
- put the vent cap back on and try to limit the air flow once the grill is hot
- raise the grid
- or, go with a whole new method like reverse sear

Anyone have thoughts?

Twice recently, I've grilled prime ribeyes (center cut and cap pinwheels) with less than stellar results. I've used my standard T-Rex hot/direct method, top vent removed, that always works great on filets. However, due to the high amount of marbling, I'm getting huge flares and the crust is too heavy for my liking, really overcooking the outer layer of meat and strong in taste.

- raise the grid

Anyone have thoughts?
The best ribeyes I've ever done have been over open charcoal. Charcoal doesn't flare up as much in my experience. I get it super hot and close to the grate (I've even used a leaf blower to get it hotter. :)) . Then I've put the steaks on for 2 min a side and remove more medium rare and 3 min a side for medium. I usually have my steaks cut 1-1/4" to 1/1/2". Any thicker and this method doesn't work for me. If you like a little crust, I've brushed some melted butter on each side and that seems to achieve that for me. If it flares up a bit, I usually let it go and it doesn't really char it too much given the little time on the grill.

Also, I've found my steaks flare up more when I close the lid on my gas grill. Not sure why.

Reactions: kiddiedoc
The best ribeyes I've ever done have been over open charcoal. Charcoal doesn't flare up as much in my experience. I get it super hot and close to the grate (I've even used a leaf blower to get it hotter. :)) . Then I've put the steaks on for 2 min a side and remove more medium rare and 3 min a side for medium. I usually have my steaks cut 1-1/4" to 1/1/2". Any thicker and this method doesn't work for me. If you like a little crust, I've brushed some melted butter on each side and that seems to achieve that for me. If it flares up a bit, I usually let it go and it doesn't really char it too much given the little time on the grill.

Also, I've found my steaks flare up more when I close the lid on my gas grill. Not sure why.

Maybe the thickness is the problem, then. They have been about 2" and needed about 7.5-8 minutes to reach med rare in the center.

Reactions: InVOLuntary

- raise the grid

Anyone have thoughts?

Sous Vide or the mayonnaise method

Why you should be grilling with mayonnaise

I think my Thermoworks Pen thermometer is broken. Has anyone had issues with theirs? It may have gotten a little wet from time to time, but could that affect temperature readings? It's consistently been measuring way too low.

Reactions: golfballs
I think my Thermoworks Pen thermometer is broken. Has anyone had issues with theirs? It may have gotten a little wet from time to time, but could that affect temperature readings? It's consistently been measuring way too low.
Have you tested it? Should be able to boil some water and see if it reads 212. I've checked mine that way before.

- raise the grid

Anyone have thoughts?

I generally reverse sear at low temp using the fuse method with a little smoke wood for the indirect part of the cook. Then add a half chimney of charcoal, mix everything up and get the direct side screaming hot for the direct sear. Boring compared to some suggestions. But I've yet to find a method I like better for any kind of steak.

Reactions: MSME Vol
Just dropped this in the aging fridge today. Nice upper choice Bone in Ribeye weighs about 19 lbs. Gonna try to remember to take some picts as things progress.View attachment 191369
@Nash_Vol97

Here is the "finished product" from Jan 27 to March 8... almost 6 weeks. Full disclaimer 2 of the bone in steaks were lost when my mom who was staying with me said I haven't had a grilled Ribeye since your dad got sick. 2 ribeyes coming up mom and that was only 2 weeks into the aging...
Pic 1=Whole Eye after soaking for about 4 hours trimmed of some fat outside but no reason to cut that dark meat off since it is like meat candy. Aesthetics don't bother me or my folks like at a restaurant. Hell if a steak house could convince somebody to eat the trimmings as an appetizer they could make a killing. Grilled on bamboo skewers with a smear of sweet soy sauce.
Pic 2 and PIC 4= Got 5 approx. 2+inch bone in steaks
Pic 3= Close up of marbling and moisture still there.
Into Vacuum bags and in the freezer for the future.
IMG_3741.JPG

IMG_3742.JPG

IMG_3745.JPG

IMG_3743.JPG

@Nash_Vol97

Here is the "finished product" from Jan 27 to March 8... almost 6 weeks. Full disclaimer 2 of the bone in steaks were lost when my mom who was staying with me said I haven't had a grilled Ribeye since your dad got sick. 2 ribeyes coming up mom and that was only 2 weeks into the aging...
Pic 1=Whole Eye after soaking for about 4 hours trimmed of some fat outside but no reason to cut that dark meat off since it is like meat candy. Aesthetics don't bother me or my folks like at a restaurant. Hell if a steak house could convince somebody to eat the trimmings as an appetizer they could make a killing. Grilled on bamboo skewers with a smear of sweet soy sauce.
Pic 2 and PIC 4= Got 5 approx. 2+inch bone in steaks
Pic 3= Close up of marbling and moisture still there.
Into Vacuum bags and in the freezer for the future.
View attachment 197058

View attachment 197059

View attachment 197060

View attachment 197065

Very nice! Thanks for the update.

Sure thing.... do you work in food sciences or health dept. ? Was wondering With the lab rat in your avi and after your comment in my post on quat sanitizer.

I have in the past. The Lab Rat came from Freak, as I and others helped with the new site before it went online.

Reactions: bag12day
Question for you gurus: If I have a largish metal frame propane grill but prefer the look of natural materials, such as wood and stone, what is a good way to marry the two together, with the idea being 'less metal, MORE natural' look?

VN Store

Back