The Grill and BBQ thread

Saw a recipe where you smoke it in bacon. You inspired me to give that a try next weekend. How many hours did you smoke?
It took about 4 hours at 225. It was 1 1/2 lbs of ground chuck. Had some trouble keeping the temp up in the begining thanks to it being so breezy yesterday. So I'd probably check it at 3 hours.

Reactions: butchna
It took about 4 hours at 225. It was 1 1/2 lbs of ground chuck. Had some trouble keeping the temp up in the begining thanks to it being so breezy yesterday. So I'd probably check it at 3 hours.
That seems to be the general time frame...which is great! Do that up Saturday morning along with pork shoulder and small chicken, and my weekend’s covered and first two days of the work week.

Reactions: JCHateSteve
That seems to be the general time frame...which is great! Do that up Saturday morning along with pork shoulder and small chicken, and my weekend’s covered and first two days of the work week.
Solid plan. I'm doing skirt steak tomorrow for the wifes birthday. I haven't decided what to do for the weekend yet. I might do a brisket or try my hand at pizza if I can find a dough recipe I like.

Last edited:
Reactions: butchna
Solid plan. I'm doing skirt steak tomorrow for the wifes birthday. I haven't decided what to do for the weekend yet. I might do a brisket or try my hand at pizza if I can find a dough recipe I like.

I have made pizza on the egg about 100 times, but mostly 3-15 years ago. If you can get flour from Italy and San marzano tomatoes from Italy you'll be getting closer to an Italian pizza.
The BGE pizza stone takes a while to get hot. Thick and dense. I usually put mine in the oven at 300-350 for a while before placing it in the egg.
Lots of dough recipes. They take a while because of yeast and typically letting the dough rise twice.

I have made pizza on the egg about 100 times, but mostly 3-15 years ago. If you can get flour from Italy and San marzano tomatoes from Italy you'll be getting closer to an Italian pizza.
The BGE pizza stone takes a while to get hot. Thick and dense. I usually put mine in the oven at 300-350 for a while before placing it in the egg.
Lots of dough recipes. They take a while because of yeast and typically letting the dough rise twice.
Thanks for the the input. I've not had a whole lot of luck with the dough recipes so far. But it may be user error on my part. They've always come out weird. The stone I have takes a bit to warm up, but nothing crazy. I'll try the heating it in the oven trick though. It will save me some charcoal. I have just a regular pizza stone currently. If I decide I like grill pizza I may buy one specifically for my Weber.

Thanks for the the input. I've not had a whole lot of luck with the dough recipes so far. But it may be user error on my part. They've always come out weird. The stone I have takes a bit to warm up, but nothing crazy. I'll try the heating it in the oven trick though. It will save me some charcoal. I have just a regular pizza stone currently. If I decide I like grill pizza I may buy one specifically for my Weber.

This is my goto pizza dough recipe. On the point every time.

Pizza Dough Ball

Reactions: JCHateSteve
Just pulled 2 tri-tips off the pellet smoker. They are wrapped in foil at this time and will make a short trip to the gas grill for a sear.
First time I used the new FireBoard to monitor the temp with my iphone for the smoker chamber and the meat... well worth the purchase.

Fresh mozzarella, crushed San marzanos for the red sauce, pesto on the Florintine chicken.
That is the same flour I used, and I was buying several bags at a time on the Internet. I would share with other pizza lovers. I'll be sure to look at a local Fresh Market for it.
Your pizza looks great. Both of them.

Reactions: kiddiedoc
That is the same flour I used, and I was buying several bags at a time on the Internet. I would share with other pizza lovers. I'll be sure to look at a local Fresh Market for it.
Your pizza looks great. Both of them.
One pizza question: do you prime the yeast in a cup of warm water+sugar for any time before adding to the flour? I didn't feel like this dough ball rose as much as the last one I did.

One pizza question: do you prime the yeast in a cup of warm water+sugar for any time before adding to the flour? I didn't feel like this dough ball rose as much as the last one I did.

What you suggest should work. The water should not be too warm. Luke warm. Give it a little longer to rise.

I used SAF Instant yeast. It's inexpensive and consistent. Since it is sold in one pound packages it should be stored in the freezer. At least that's what I did. A bag would last 1.5 -2 years.
You might give SAF or an instant rapid rise a try. There is also nothing wrong with the yeast you used especially if you like a more yeasty flavor.

You might also look at a king Arthur Flour article comparing active yeast, instant rapid rise and instant. It is a good summary of the different yeast used for bread

https://blog.kingarthurflour.com/2016/01/29/yeast-use/

Sorry, luke warm doesn't have the same meaning to everyone. .
Try 105-115. You can check with a instant read thermometer.

Last edited:
What you suggest should work. The water should not be too warm. Luke warm. Give it a little longer to rise.

I used SAF Instant yeast. It's inexpensive and consistent. Since it is sold in one pound packages it should be stored in the freezer. At least that's what I did. A bag would last 1.5 -2 years.
You might give SAF or an instant rapid rise a try. There is also nothing wrong with the yeast you used especially if you like a more yeasty flavor.

You might also look at a king Arthur Flour article comparing active yeast, instant rapid rise and instant. It is a good summary of the different yeast used for bread

https://blog.kingarthurflour.com/2016/01/29/yeast-use/
Cool, thanks

Just fired up the new Traeger Pro 34 for seasoning. This is last year’s model. Got it 25% off direct from Traeger. Added the bottom shelf and fold down front shelf. Also put some BBQ briquettes in the bottom for thermal mass and a lava tape smoke seal around the lid. CA1C9490-8AE3-466A-9CF4-5D86FBB283C1.jpeg

VN Store

Back