What car did y'all have for your very first car?

If it wasn't changed at the dealer, then the car was one of a kind and priceless. Do you still have the serial number? If you do, the Pontiac Historical Society can document it, and tell you how it left the factory.

That info was lost years ago. Sorry to say. I don't know about one of a kind I had convinced myself that it was a limited edition of some kind. Based on the plate with the vin on it on the Fender wall had a # 17 stamped on it. With 0 explanation as to what that was.

That info was lost years ago. Sorry to say. I don't know about one of a kind I had convinced myself that it was a limited edition of some kind. Based on the plate with the vin on it on the Fender wall had a # 17 stamped on it. With 0 explanation as to what that was.
The first and only mention that I can find of any Pontiac COPO cars before the 1988 Trans Am 1 LE are from Conroy Pontiac in West Vancouver British Columbia, Canada. They put 427 Chevy engines in 10 Pontiac Beaumonts , which was basically a Pontiac Chevelle. The engine that came in the 1974 Pontiacs was represented by the 5th digit of the serial number. 350's were J,K, M, or N, depending upon 2 or 4 barrel and single or dual exhaust. 400's were P, R, S, or T.

The first and only mention that I can find of any Pontiac COPO cars before the 1988 Trans Am 1 LE are from Conroy Pontiac in West Vancouver British Columbia, Canada. They put 427 Chevy engines in 10 Pontiac Beaumonts , which was basically a Pontiac Chevelle. The engine that came in the 1974 Pontiacs was represented by the 5th digit of the serial number. 350's were J,K, M, or N, depending upon 2 or 4 barrel and single or dual exhaust. 400's were P, R, S, or T.

I don't have\know anything else, other than what I have posted. Except it was a great car. I keep it for 10 years took care of it and sold it for twice what I had in it.

I don't have\know anything else, other than what I have posted. Except it was a great car. I keep it for 10 years took care of it and sold it for twice what I had in it.
Of course, nobody will ever know without a paper trail, but my guess is that the original owner had it done, and possibly before he took delivery. I will guarantee that it was a great car with that engine combination.

Reactions: orangeblooded2
In 1998 this was my first car. 78 Dodge Aspen. My parents got it for my sister when she went to college in 1984. She graduated and gave it back when she bought her own car. It sat in the driveway for years. My dad would crank it up and drive it around the block every couple months. Only difference is it was blue and the paint was faded more on one side because the sun rose and set on the driver side of the car.

The automatic choke on this thing was fierce until the engine warmed up. On a cold morning it would go 30 mph and I wouldn't even be touching the gas.
1534962557106.png

I had a friend who bought one new. It was orange with the laser stripe, and a 351 Cleveland 4 barrel. It would run.

Yelp, mine had a 4 barrel also. It ran great from take-off to top-end, stopped good, and surprisingly handled well.

Mine was UT orange. I actually saw it in a parking lot around 2005. In addition to still being on the road it still had my Vols sticker on the back window
View attachment 164408
My brother drove my granddad's old 2 tone green, 4 door 55 Caddy to U.T. for 3 years. 1966 to 69. Freshman weren't allowed to have cars then. It had a large "Big Orange Country" sticker in the back window.

74 Nova Hatchback with a straight 6. Wouldn't pull a greasy string out of a cats ass, but always started and always got me where I neeeded to go. My brother gave it to me after he blew the engine up. Pops bought the straight 6 from a junkyard for $150 and he did a little body work to it, taught me how to sand it and Pops painted it himself. I still remember my fingers bleeding from the hand sanding lol.

Ahh, great memories. Thanks for starting this thread OP.

After about 1 1/2 year's I sold the Nova to a returning Viet Nam vet and bought a new 1969 VW beetle for $1525.00, kept it for a little over a year and then bought a new 1969 Z28 which ended up being the last high performance auto I've ever owned

I got it out of my system early on:)
I've had a pretty good life, save 2 wives:)

Go Vols

The best revenge is happiness.

It had a COPO order sheet stuck to the bottom of the rear seat. I didn't find out till years later what that meant and on a pontiac no less. Also in those years anything was a go to keep insurance prices down. Manufacturers understated options,horsepower and miles per gallon and emissions. this thing had a true posi trac rear end you could start in the a burn out circle and it would leave two rubber tracks. There was no doubt it was what was stated. I don't remember who the dealership was but it was in Jefferson or knox counties.

[VIDEO=]

Reactions: DeusExMachina
1978 Dodge Power Wagon... Stepside, 4spd, 4x4.

Found one just like it in a barn in Sweetwater TN a few years back. Bought it and fixed it back up. Enjoying the heck out of driving it.

View attachment 164676View attachment 164677
I bought a 3/4 ton 4X4 Powerwagon years ago. Everytime it passed a gas station, it would burp or fart. It was hands down the worst gas hog I ever owned.
It had a 318 in it. The truck was way too heavy for that little engine. My truck had "full time" four wheel drive. Guess all the Powerwagons were in those days. That truck broke me from sucking eggs.
Never again!.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back