The Atlanta Braves Thread

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for an upgrade at RF as well. But the hate on my boy is unreal.

The probability he puts up an average season is incredibly low. He had an awesome two months and was below average the rest of the way.

If we were cash strapped and had other commitments or made a monster trade (like let’s say we signed Donaldson and traded for Haniger and JTR and Ender was involved in one of those) then I’d have little problem. But the fact we brought back a 35 year old singles hitter to play everyday after coming off a division title and making one move is a joke

The probability he puts up an average season is incredibly low. He had an awesome two months and was below average the rest of the way.

If we were cash strapped and had other commitments or made a monster trade (like let’s say we signed Donaldson and traded for Haniger and JTR and Ender was involved in one of those) then I’d have little problem. But the fact we brought back a 35 year old singles hitter to play everyday after coming off a division title and making one move is a joke
Don’t disagree. By all accounts, he should decline significantly at 35.

I can understand wanting to keep Riley/Waters/Pache (and to me Contreras is damn near untouchable) but we could have gotten something pretty good last year with a Gohara/Allard package and those guys have near zero worth on a market and would be consider throw ins. I hate keeping all those pitching prospects.

I agree with you.

The only ones I don’t want to trade are Touki/Wright/Anderson.

The others, I could live with.

Reactions: TBrown
And 30+ homer power.

It won’t happen, but I’d easily give Bryce 8/240M minimum if I was owning a team.

But he's wanting 300M. It just scares me getting stuck in a long contract that could potentially hinder the team.

The long, excessive contracts ended up hurting Texas(A-Rod), and I bet the Angels regret the Pujols contract

But he's wanting 300M. It just scares me getting stuck in a long contract that could potentially hinder the team.

The long, excessive contracts ended up hurting Texas(A-Rod), and I bet the Angels regret the Pujols contract

So a couple things (BTW I don’t necessarily disagree with your idea of avoiding long term contracts).

1) Harper is 26. Not 32 (like Pujols allegedly was). Even if you sign him to 10 years you’re prolly gonna get at least 7 average years. Minimum. Probably more.

2) The problem with Texas is they didn’t have young talent like the Braves do that was controllable and then couldn’t sign more free agents because of that contract. Texas’ owner was incredibly short sighted. If Harper is are only big contract for the next five years I’m okay with that.

3) Here’s what I would do (assuming I was a multi billionaire and owned the Atlanta Braves....ah the life...) I would offer Bryce 10 years/$300M. But then I would give him an opt out after 4 years and front load the contract (4/$160M, then would turn into 6/$140M). If he opts out you get an elite COF at four years and he leaves before turning 30. And that contract might not be so bad if the DH gets implemented in the NL. And if he opts in then the AAV won’t absolutely kill you.

But I’m not the owner unfortunately

How does he act up? Freddie has publicly said he wants Harper on the Braves, if Bryce was such a diva then Freeman wouldn’t want him.
Despise his pouting & whining on the field. Freddie wanting him doesn't change my opinion. Not worth the $$$ IMO & the long-term contracts are absurd. We'll see what happens.

He definitely needs to be a bench guy or in a platoon.
If he’s LH PH and 4th OF that’s a grand slam signing. If he’s starting 140 games in RF, no thanks.

Camargo-Markakis-Culberson-Catcher is a bench that gets the juices flowing. No one is disputing that. The issue is the money to spend, the promise to spend, and the reality of this dude being the every day RF staring us in the face.

Reactions: LotteryPick

VN Store

Back