Oregon State

mcannon1

Oregon State got a verbal from 6'9" Jelena Mitrovic yesterday. They will be a very tall team over the next few years:

6'9" Andrea Acquino (can play multiple positions)
6'9" Jelena Mitrovic (true center)
6'7" Patrica Morris (post player)
6'6" Kennedy Brown (can play multiple positions)
6'3" Taylor Jones (can play multiple positions)
6'3" Taya Corsodale (plays multiple positions)

Oregon State got a verbal from 6'9" Jelena Mitrovic yesterday. They will be a very tall team over the next few years:

6'9" Andrea Acquino (can play multiple positions)
6'9" Jelena Mitrovic (true center)
6'7" Patrica Morris (post player)
6'6" Kennedy Brown (can play multiple positions)
6'3" Taylor Jones (can play multiple positions)
6'3" Taya Corsodale (plays multiple positions)

If they move like our "bigs" they will be trailing everything that happens on the court.

Reactions: 508mikey and gule
Half of them will transfer likely, that many over 6'5" someone wont be getting playing time. If they try to play that many bigs together they'll get killed in transition, especially in the PAC-12.

Reactions: sisaq
I don't think you want to be this big at more than two positions on the court. Of course you could have quite a great rotation and aggressive play inside both offensively and defensively with this many bigs on the roster.

Reactions: RollerVol
Half of them will transfer likely, that many over 6'5" someone wont be getting playing time. If they try to play that many bigs together they'll get killed in transition, especially in the PAC-12.

They expect Kennedy Brown to play on the perimeter at the 3. I’m really interested to see how that will work. Stepping out to hit a three pointer here and there is one thing but handling the ball and defending wings and guards on the college level is a whole different ball game.

They expect Kennedy Brown to play on the perimeter at the 3. I’m really interested to see how that will work. Stepping out to hit a three pointer here and there is one thing but handling the ball and defending wings and guards on the college level is a whole different ball game.

I have watched enough of her highlights reels to know that isn't going to work. Not from an offensive standpoint, she has the skill, but more so on defense. Going with a line-up like that means she's guarding someone much faster than her, she'll foul out or give up layups trying to guard smaller players. Likely they'll just try to pack it in to a 2-3 zone with that much length.

Last edited:
Reactions: SCspur
I have watched enough of her highlights reels to know that isn't going to work. Not from and offensive standpoint, she has the skill, but on defense. Going with a line-up like that means she's guarding someone much faster than her, she'll foul out or give up layups trying to guard smaller players. Likely they'll just try to pack it in to a 2-3 zone with that much length.

I agree. Teams will obliterate them in the transition game and will probably pass and cut them to death. It’s not a bad problem to have that many y’all players the question is how is Rueck going to get them to play to there strengths while on the court together.

Reactions: VolBall09
I agree. Teams will obliterate them in the transition game and will probably pass and cut them to death. It’s not a bad problem to have that many y’all players the question is how is Rueck going to get them to play to there strengths while on the court together.

It could be that he sees the women's game getting taller and is preparing for it.
We have a 6 foot PG...Why not 6'2" or 6'3"?
Our whole roster will be similar next year. Meme graduates and is the only under 6 footer.

It could be that he sees the women's game getting taller and is preparing for it.
Our whole roster will be similar next year. Meme graduates and is the only under 6 footer.

If anything the women's game is getting smaller. The most successful teams the last 4-5 years have been heavily guard driven with only 1 or 2 big girls playing big minutes. Many of the best bigs also aren't as big as they used to be, seeing a lot more 6'1" 6'2" post players that are highly mobile and screen well. There has been an increase in tall, skilled wing players from Europe and Australia. But the height in the US is not being developed. They just stand on the block and hope they get an o-board.

AAU Basketball in the US has been the death of skilled play. Particularly in the post.

Reactions: LadyVol1908
geez, that team will probably be a "big" contender for championships...we'll see...and

GO LADY VOLS...RECRUIT BIGGER PLAYERS LIKE HECK!!!!!!!!

geez, that team will probably be a "big" contender for championships...we'll see...and

GO LADY VOLS...RECRUIT BIGGER PLAYERS LIKE HECK!!!!!!!!

Why? Mississippi State has been to 2 National Championship games the last two years, 3 of their starters were under 5'8". Height does not = success anymore. The Lady Vols are already huge for women's basketball and it certainly isn't making much difference for us. We're taller at every position than almost every team we have played, we win the rebounding battle, but can't hit a mid-range jumper or layup to save our life.

We don't need bigger players, we need the ones we have to be developed and finish plays like they have a little bit of skill.

If anything the women's game is getting smaller. The most successful teams the last 4-5 years have been heavily guard driven with only 1 or 2 big girls playing big minutes. Many of the best bigs also aren't as big as they used to be, seeing a lot more 6'1" 6'2" post players that are highly mobile and screen well. There has been an increase in tall, skilled wing players from Europe and Australia. But the height in the US is not being developed. They just stand on the block and hope they get an o-board.

AAU Basketball in the US has been the death of skilled play. Particularly in the post.

You had me until that last sentence. When is generalized AAU you lost me

You had me until that last sentence. When is generalized AAU you lost me

I will continue to generalize it. I know you coach AAU or are somehow involved. It has been terrible for basketball. Kids just go out and hoop, no direction, little coaching and no skills training.

Seems you worked with Meme at some point, as much as you defend her, and you think you're a basketball skills master. Shes literally the most unskilled player we have. A senior that still can't finish a layup and has completed more passes to the third row than to her teammates.

It isn't a secret, and anyone denying that AAU has been bad for basketball has the wool pulled over their eyes.

I don't know if I agree with this. The best true bigs in the past couple of years have been A'ja Wilson, Kalani Brown, Teaira McCowan, Ruthy Hebard, Kristine Anigwe, Alaina Coates, Jessica Shepard...all 6'4+ and mostly the go-to players on their highly successful team. It's true that you get some shorter players like Gabby Wilson, Anriel Howard or Napheesa Collier who can hold their own at the 5 while being under 6'2, but so far Gabby hasn't been able to replicate that it in the WNBA, and I doubt Anriel or Napheesa will either.

Looking at the WNBA, I find wing players to be a dime a dozen, but a mobile, skilled, athletic big is worth their weight in gold.

Not possible for all that height to be in the same team and graduate. Even a very good coach few will still transfer. Have no idea why they kept pouring in there knowing the height of the players they got already.

I will continue to generalize it. I know you coach AAU or are somehow involved. It has been terrible for basketball. Kids just go out and hoop, no direction, little coaching and no skills training.

Seems you worked with Meme at some point, as much as you defend her, and you think you're a basketball skills master. Shes literally the most unskilled player we have. A senior that still can't finish a layup and has completed more passes to the third row than to her teammates.

It isn't a secret, and anyone denying that AAU has been bad for basketball has the wool pulled over their eyes.

Meme is one reason we are on the brink of a collapse and Holly is sticking with her.

So to you ALL female basketball players who come up in AAU are tarnished .
That's a pretty broad assertion.
And your opinion.
+++
I defend all of the players.

Meme is an interest, just like any of the Lady Vol basketball players.
I would defend any one of them or all of them equally. And do.
I also demand the best out of each player.

Meme asked for me as a summer coach, but early on, on this site, I was much tougher on CHW. I wanted to shove CHW off instead of seeing what she could do if she "set" the table. so I didn't get to work with Meme. That said, I wasn't sure how this affected Meme's summer, so I took an interest here in keeping the hoards off of her a little.

Meme had to go from obscurity to team leader in one season. She did pretty good growing through the season last year and aside form a setback this year, judging by the recent two games, she looks to be getting back to the caliber of player she was before December and the injury. I can see she has worked relentlessly this summer on attacking the basket this year as that has not been a significant part of her game until now. So, yes, she is kind of a favorite of mine.

Does she turn the ball over more than she gives out dimes. yes,, 42 asst to 45 TO's...3rd best on the team.

I like the length but what will height and length do when it meets speed and quickness? Running guard oriented teams seems like what the game is moving towards. Back to the basket post players are becoming a rarity and four of them (Brown, Gustafson, Anigwe, and McCowan) are graduating this year.

If you look at the post players participating in the McDAA game this year only two of them (Boston and Jackson) prefer to play with their back to the basket. All others (Brown,Prechtel, and Baldwin) would rather face up. Having length is a good thing but too much length may be a problem.

I like the length but what will height and length do when it meets speed and quickness? Running guard oriented teams seems like what the game is moving towards. Back to the basket post players are becoming a rarity and four of them (Brown, Gustafson, Anigwe, and McCowan) are graduating this year.

If you look at the post players participating in the McDAA game this year only two of them (Boston and Jackson) prefer to play with their back to the basket. All others (Brown,Prechtel, and Baldwin) would rather face up. Having length is a good thing but too much length may be a problem.

I am with you a thousand.

Some people mistake length for depth.
...Bigs have to be taught too.
You can't teach height, but you have do have to teach them how to use their height.

I have watched enough of her highlights reels to know that isn't going to work. Not from and offensive standpoint, she has the skill, but on defense. Going with a line-up like that means she's guarding someone much faster than her, she'll foul out or give up layups trying to guard smaller players. Likely they'll just try to pack it in to a 2-3 zone with that much length.

I agree; and she emphasized that's where she belongs when visiting Oregon State. Too many young 6'4"+ players seem to think they belong outside when they simply do not have the mobility to do so. It's as if recognizing that you are really a 4 or a 5 is somehow to admit that you're not all that skilled. There are, of course, a few players at 6'4" or so who are legit 3's--Satou Sabally at Oregon, for example--but they imo few and far between.

The women's game is starting to gear more towards speed. If you have height and speed...great...if you have just height you are going to beat a lot of teams but without speed you are not going to win a national championship. Fast guard play is way more important in the tournament run....and depth at that position is critical. I would rather have 3 bigs...4 good forwards and the rest good guards. 6'9" and multiple positions...yea...right (insert sarcasm here).

VN Store

Back