Netflix

Article Link: Netflix increase is the biggest in the company’s history

"
Netflix raises prices to pay for original content
The price increase is the biggest in the company’s history

Netflix is raising monthly subscription prices by as much as 18 percent in the United States, the largest rate hike in its history, as company executives look for more money to pay escalating content bills.

Although Netflix has hiked prices in the past, this is the first increase that will be applied to all U.S. subscribers, as well as subscribers in Latin American and the Caribbean, where Netflix bills in U.S. dollars. The most popular subscription plan will now cost $13 a month, up from $11. The cheapest subscription will run $8.99, up from $7.99.

The move is an attempt by Netflix to increase its revenue as its subscription growth in the United States slows. The company has 58 million domestic subscribers.

“We change pricing from time to time as we continue investing in great entertainment and improving the overall Netflix experience for the benefit of our members,” a Netflix spokesman said in a statement. Customers will be notified of the increase by email and through the Netflix app at least 30 days before the price hike takes effect; timing will vary depending on the customer’s billing cycle.

The price increase will help subsidize Netflix’s high content costs for both licensed and original shows, which the company last year pegged at $8 billion. An assessment from Goldman Sachs has put the number as high as $12 billion.

Netflix has sought to keep the subscriber wheel turning by offering a slew of new content, paying hundreds of millions of dollars to top-tier creators, such as Shonda Rhimes and Ryan Murphy, to move their production companies in-house and often outbidding rivals on individual projects. Licensed content can be pricey, too — the company just paid $100 million to keep reruns of the ’90s sitcom “Friends” on the service.

Finding the balance between low prices and high content investment has been a key challenge for Netflix executives. The company has also had to ensure price increases don’t put a damper on new and existing subscriptions. Executives have talked in recent quarters about carefully managing content spending as subscription growth — the company’s only revenue stream — has slowed in the United States. What has regularly been annual increases of more than 15 percent has hovered at just about 10 percent the past two years.

Netflix has seen more upside with international subscriptions, which have climbed four or five times as much in many quarters. Those subscribers now approach 80 million. To fuel that growth, Netflix has heavily invested in content in foreign countries, such as India, where the subscriber numbers are skyrocketing.

These issues will be high on the Netflix agenda for the executives who run point on the issue. Chief financial officer David Wells left the company in October. Former Activision Blizzard CFO Spencer Neumann has been named as his replacement.

The firm also must also protect itself from the more aggressive entry of Disney into the streaming business. The company’s Disney+ service is expected to launch later this year and will cost less than Netflix. The Netflix price hike could be a way to accustom subscribers to the price now rather than imposing an increase when Disney+ is available.

This is the fourth time Netflix has raised subscription prices since it launched a streaming-only plan nearly a decade ago; the most recent one came last year. But in the past the price of the basic streaming plan stayed the same. Past price increases have drawn backlash.

Still, Netflix remains the one of the cheapest streaming options, with a basic plan that is less expensive than Hulu, Amazon Prime or HBO.

In addition to its hit shows, such as “Stranger Things” and “The Crown,” the company has generated major awards attention for Alfonso Cuarón’s coming-of-age drama “Roma” in recent months. It also has sparked strong word-of-mouth for a select group of feature films, including romantic comedy “To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before,” fertility dramedy “Private Life” and the Sandra Bullock horror film “Bird Box.”
Netflix is already facing tough competition from other streaming services such as Amazon, Hulu and HBO. (Amazon chief executive Jeffrey P. Bezos owns The Washington Post.) The streaming service landscape is about to become even more crowded with the entry of Disney and a Warner Media service projected to be not far behind. In its quest for dominance in both streaming and production, Netflix has had to borrow billions to finance its initiatives. It had already racked up $12 billion in debt when it announced it would be borrowing an additional $2 billion in October.

The company’s shares soared six percent in response to news of the price hike, as analysts looked favorably upon the revenue implications and said they saw little downside.

“We don’t believe that it will slow subscriber growth, as the new price points remain competitive relative to Netflix’s volume of original and licensed content,” Moody’s senior vice president Neil Begley said in a note.

The company will release earnings for the fourth-quarter on Thursday."

Without exaggeration...i watch 1 show on regular TV besides foosball occasionally and the basketVols occasionally. All other TV time is Netflix, often in mini binges of 3 or 4 episodes at night of whichever show i am currently on (peaky blinders now, thinking Hell on Wheels next). Netflix is so much better than network or HBO type channels... no comparison. Their original content has been very good as well...Ozark, strangers, Narcos, etc etc...top notch stuff and none of them has had crappy low budget actors or special effects etc like network TV has. I didn't start netflix til less than a year ago...catching up, well trying to catch up, has been a joy for sure. Great to start a show that is very good and has 3 or 4 seasons already made. Good times.

Thanks to all yall who have recommended series and to a lesser extent movies ITT...there hasnt been a single show mentioned here that I havent liked. GO VOLS

I’m late to the party, but I finally just watched The Last Kingdom. I’m very sad lol. I have looked forward to a few episodes after work lately and now I have no more. I loved it.

Word! They bleeding you too? 😉

I thought my boss (best friend too) and I were the only 4oyo white guys in the world that routinely use the expression " word" still in 2018...its hilarious, glad you do, too..lmao

Example " stopping to grab a biscuit on the way to the job. You hungry?

Word.

It actually can mean a couple different things between us...from yes, to i agree, to me,too...etc.its very 1993

Reactions: joevol33
I thought my boss (best friend too) and I were the only 4oyo white guys in the world that routinely use the expression " word" still in 2018...its hilarious, glad you do, too..lmao

Word.

It actually can mean a couple different things between us...from yes, to i agree, to me,too...etc.its very 1993
I say it because of the comic white effect.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols

Word.

Throw me in that mix, I use it often

nerds1.jpg

I say it because of the comic white effect.
Throw me in that mix, I use it often

Haha...that's great. Thought we were probably the only ones that still said that..very funny to me. I dont even listen to rap or honestly popular music anymore...casting crowns is my favorite group, and the lead singer is a dedicated youth Pastor somewhere in GA...thats just how we talked when we were teens and he and i still use it "tongue in cheek" for the variety of reasons, some of which i listed above. I bet Joe and I listen to a lot of the same music actually. When Huff calls us nerds, that makes me happy. I hate it when i see folks around my age dressing and acting like their kids do...i am embarrassed for them. I will always wear loose fitting pants, it will come back in style, and always to a certain extent be "stuck in the past" i guess...i dont know most modern music, what clothes are in style, etc...and dont care to. At all...thats not my place, and i am OK with that. Sadly, though i have been blessed to put my kids thru Christian school and give them a better start than i had...their childhoods havent been nearly as cool as mine (no running the hood until streetlights came on, etc) and the world they will face as adults is a much scarier place than i faced...our country is an amoral, liberal stew headed straight to Hell, our government is imposssibly in debt... we have massive recessions like 08 and the one that is about to hit, people are so self absorbed and addicted to technology that they cant communicate in person anymore...etc etc...we need to pray fervently for our kids and country

Haha...that's great. Thought we were probably the only ones that still said that..very funny to me. I dont even listen to rap or honestly popular music anymore...casting crowns is my favorite group, and the lead singer is a dedicated youth Pastor somewhere in GA...thats just how we talked when we were teens and he and i still use it "tongue in cheek" for the variety of reasons, some of which i listed above. I bet Joe and I listen to a lot of the same music actually. When Huff calls us nerds, that makes me happy. I hate it when i see folks around my age dressing and acting like their kids do...i am embarrassed for them. I will always wear loose fitting pants, it will come back in style, and always to a certain extent be "stuck in the past" i guess...i dont know most modern music, what clothes are in style, etc...and dont care to. At all...thats not my place, and i am OK with that. Sadly, though i have been blessed to put my kids thru Christian school and give them a better start than i had...their childhoods havent been nearly as cool as mine (no running the hood until streetlights came on, etc) and the world they will face as adults is a much scarier place than i faced...our country is an amoral, liberal stew headed straight to Hell, our government is imposssibly in debt... we have massive recessions like 08 and the one that is about to hit, people are so self absorbed and addicted to technology that they cant communicate in person anymore...etc etc...we need to pray fervently for our kids and country

Always happy to be of service.

QrJz.gif

Been watching a lot of BoJack Horseman lately. I know the premise seems really goofy, and much of the show is, but it’s actually a really good series. There is some excellent humor and it also manages to visit some pretty dark places very effectively.

I’m still on season 4 but have every intention of finishing it. I’d rank it right up there with Rick and Morty at the top of my list of animated series.

Reactions: n_huffhines

VN Store

Back