Gone but not forgotten: Knoxville area restaurants and retailers we miss.

I live in Chattanooga. I dont know if any of these places existed in Knoxville, but here's a few that I miss...

1. Pizza Inn - Pizza Hut was always more popular, but I loved Pizza Inn too. They had a wider selection. You could get lasagna, Italian hoagies, spaghetti, etc.

2. Electronics Boutique - back in the day I used go in there and spend time looking at games, pour through game mags, and peaking at strategy guides (though that was frowned upon). I think Gamestop bought them out but I liked EB so much better.

3. Sears Surplus - I guess you could say they were an extension of Sears but they operated outside of the mall in a separate building. They mostly sold clothes and home furnishings. I loved this place because as a kid and a Raiders fan, back then it was about the only place I could find Oakland Raider merchandise. At the time the only NFL merch you could find in Chattanooga was Dallas Cowboys, Atlanta Falcons, and maybe Pittsburgh Steelers.

4. Rax restaurant- They were kind of like Arby's, specializing in roast beef sandwiches. They had amazing milkshakes too!

5. Record Bar/Cats Records - These were my go to places for vinyl and cassettes back in the day!

6. Lionel Playworld - In the 70's and early 80's before Toys R Us there was Lionel. Actually before that it was called Toy City. But as a kid, this was the place to go for toys.

7. East Ridge Toy Store - Located on Ringgold Road, this was a cool toy shop! The building looked like a Castle and it had a sign with a digital clock on the front of the building that would countdown to Christmas. I bought my bionic man and bionic bigfoot action figures there!

8. Otasco - A jack of all trades kind of store. They had toys, hardware supplies, tools, lawn mowers, etc.

9. Kenny Roger's Roaster - I LOVED this place back in the day! Roasted chicken, plus they had the best corn muffins!

10. Four Square Movie Theater - Located in Red Bank right behind the Kanpai of Tokyo restaurant. This was the .99 cent theater. I saw a lot of movies here growing up!
There is a Pizza Inn on Clinton Hwy near Merchants Drive.

Wasn't there one in Oak Ridge too?

Yes you are correct, I was thinking three locations but could not recall.
thumbs-up-sign_1f44d.png

Reactions: the_great_pumpkin
I live in Chattanooga. I dont know if any of these places existed in Knoxville, but here's a few that I miss...

1. Pizza Inn - Pizza Hut was always more popular, but I loved Pizza Inn too. They had a wider selection. You could get lasagna, Italian hoagies, spaghetti, etc.

2. Electronics Boutique - back in the day I used go in there and spend time looking at games, pour through game mags, and peaking at strategy guides (though that was frowned upon). I think Gamestop bought them out but I liked EB so much better.

3. Sears Surplus - I guess you could say they were an extension of Sears but they operated outside of the mall in a separate building. They mostly sold clothes and home furnishings. I loved this place because as a kid and a Raiders fan, back then it was about the only place I could find Oakland Raider merchandise. At the time the only NFL merch you could find in Chattanooga was Dallas Cowboys, Atlanta Falcons, and maybe Pittsburgh Steelers.

4. Rax restaurant- They were kind of like Arby's, specializing in roast beef sandwiches. They had amazing milkshakes too!

5. Record Bar/Cats Records - These were my go to places for vinyl and cassettes back in the day!

6. Lionel Playworld - In the 70's and early 80's before Toys R Us there was Lionel. Actually before that it was called Toy City. But as a kid, this was the place to go for toys.

7. East Ridge Toy Store - Located on Ringgold Road, this was a cool toy shop! The building looked like a Castle and it had a sign with a digital clock on the front of the building that would countdown to Christmas. I bought my bionic man and bionic bigfoot action figures there!

8. Otasco - A jack of all trades kind of store. They had toys, hardware supplies, tools, lawn mowers, etc.

9. Kenny Roger's Roaster - I LOVED this place back in the day! Roasted chicken, plus they had the best corn muffins!

10. Four Square Movie Theater - Located in Red Bank right behind the Kanpai of Tokyo restaurant. This was the .99 cent theater. I saw a lot of movies here growing up!

The best I can tell there are still Rax in Kentucky. Did the Lionel store sell trains?

The best I can tell there are still Rax in Kentucky. Did the Lionel store sell trains?

I think it was a different Lionel, but I could be wrong. Actually I never thought about that connection.

Edit: I just looked it up. It was in fact the same company who makes the trains!

Last edited:
Reactions: UT_Dutchman
I think it was a different Lionel, but I could be wrong. Actually I never thought about that connection.

Edit: I just looked it up. It was in fact the same company who makes the trains!

My parents are lucky I never knew about that place. I still have a few train sets. Somewhere.

I grew up in Hixson.
Spent a lot of time at Record Bar at Northgate Mall.
Had a pal that worked there who we lost to pancreatic cancer.
Went to the Four Square a few times.

Pizza Inn >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Pizza Hut. At least it was 30 - 40 years ago..

I lived a block away from a Cats Records in midtown Memphis, that was not good for my bank account.

We used to eat at Rax down from the Farragut schools all the time. I won a couple of coloring contests there, haha. Good sandwiches, from what I remember.

Reactions: MAD
The Shoney's location at 4410 Western Avenue will close later this month after 38 years in business.

The restaurant will close on March 24.

Pizza Inn >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Pizza Hut. At least it was 30 - 40 years ago..

I lived a block away from a Cats Records in midtown Memphis, that was not good for my bank account.
I had a Christmas job working in the records department at Goldsmith’s on Poplar, now a Macy’s. My dad said it was like setting a fox to watch the chickens. And it was!

Last edited:
Reactions: MAD and NorCalVol67
Shout out to:

Macino's Pizza and Grinders
Chez Liberty
Kalamata Kitchen
Mangia Pizza and More
Camelot Music, Sam Goody
The Children's Place
Service Merchandise

VN Store

Back