Is Barnes the Best Coach in CB right now?

VolFreakJosh

“Don’t you put that evil on me Ricky Bobby!”
I think so.

Getting his team to possibly the #1 ranking by tomorrow without a bunch of One & Done talent is pretty impressive.

My top coaches right now would be:
1. Barnes
2. Coach K
3. Bennett
4. Mark Few
5. Kermit Davis

Reactions: RollerVol
I think so.

Getting his team to possibly the #1 ranking by tomorrow without a bunch of One & Done talent is pretty impressive.

My top coaches right now would be:
1. Barnes
2. Coach K
3. Bennett
4. Mark Few
5. Kermit Davis
I think you are jumping the gun. He has never won the entire thing. Not exactly like Coach K forgot how to coach....

This list is hilarious considering you put Barnes number one (who hasnt made a sweet 16 in 10 years) and forgot Jay Wright who just won two national titles in three years without a lottery pick

Key term: (Right now)

Sounds like you're really just asking who's the best team right now. Yes, you can make a good case for us. Best coach? Probably not Barnes even though he's doing a great job.

Basically he should have just copied and paste the AP top 25 list and say these are the best coaches right now 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: MustafaRasta
This list is hilarious considering you put Barnes number one (who hasnt made a sweet 16 in 10 years) and forgot Jay Wright who just won two national titles in three years without a lottery pick

Mikal Bridges.

Wright has done it in a way where he has gotten high level talent that stay around a few years. Bridges, Jenkins, Hart, Booth, Brunson, and Spellman were all high level recruits, and three were first round picks.

Reactions: Vols All Day
Basically he should have just copied and paste the AP top 25 list and say these are the best coaches right now 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️
prisoner of the moment.

i think Barnes is an excellent coach. don't see the need to rank them though. enjoy the journey. this season has been, and will continue to be, a lot of fun.

i think it's ok to just say we have a great coach right now, and let's see where we wind up when it's all over.

Also what crazy person would take Tony Bennett over John Calipari? And Kermit Davis??? Goodness
Calipari is not a great x's and o's coach, he's a good recruiter and does a great job of getting freshman to mold year in and year out though.

Barnes is a top 15 coach and Tennessee is very lucky to have him, or at least this version of him. I don't think he was a top 15 coach when he was hired. Maybe top 30.

Reactions: DFWVolFan
And I thought the football board overreacted to success.

UT is, if not the best team out there right now, certainly in the top two or three. But its tournament performance that makes or breaks your season, don't delude yourselves.

Reactions: Dr H Lecter
Also what crazy person would take Tony Bennett over John Calipari? And Kermit Davis??? Goodness

I am not sure Calipari is a great X's and O's coach. Sure he out-talents most with his one and done gimmick. Bennett hasn't won it all but only one coach can each year. He has consistently had UVA playing at a high level.

Hell no. Not even the best SEC coach.
While I think the OP's assertion is pretty silly, I can't think of a single coach in the SEC I'd trade Barnes for. He is 42-10 and 18-5 in conference over the past season and a half. So, who are you implying is currently better?

J. Calipari 40-14 (14-9)
B. Pearl 40-12 (16-7)
B. Howland 39-15 (11-11)
M. Anderson 33-19 (11-12)
W. Wade 32-18 (12-10)
M. White 31-20 (13-10)
C. Martin 30-19 (11-11)
A. Johnson 30-21 (9-12)
B. Kennedy 29-22 (10-13)
F. Martin 26-23 (11-11)
B. Drew 21-28 (6-17)

T. Crean
K. Davis

Yes and it’s not even close
Wow...totally disagree, and so would a large portion of UK fans if you ask them. And I'm not even a Cal hater. I've made a case for him on several occasions on this very board, bit I wouldn't trade Barnes for Cal and his brand of recruiting/coaching, right now. It might be personal preference, but for the talent he's had, he has underachieved in the hardware department.

Wow...totally disagree, and so would a large portion of UK fans if you ask them. And I'm not even a Cal hater. I've made a case for him on several occasions on this very board, bit I wouldn't trade Barnes for Cal and his brand of recruiting/coaching, right now. It might be personal preference, but for the talent he's had, he has underachieved in the hardware department.

Maybe if Barnes makes a S16 for the first time in a decade this year he can change my mind. I’ll take the guy with 4 FF’s, four 30 win seasons, 11 different SEC titles, and a national championship this decade

VN Store

Back