Staff shakeup predictions?

UTK

So assuming it is David Johnson that’s out for Tee, what other staffshake ups do you see? I’ve heard people (Swain mostly) hinting at more staff changes to come. Weinke seems like the weakest link...I wonder if there’s a good recruiter RB coach that played at UT out there hmmmmm. Charles Kelly to Maryland may be something to watch for. Not sure about a replacement if it were to happen.

Reactions: FLVOL69 and JacFite
This whole experience with Pruitt is exciting to say the least. None of us fans have tge slightest clue what he is doing.
Most of us ruled out Tee coming to Tn months ago but we were wrong
None of us considered Chaney as OC and out of the blue, here he is. I certainly thought it would have been Friend.

I think Weinke gets replaced
Possibly our old RB coach didnt mesh with the new staff but that' RB is the one place I feel like the coaching change was an upgrade. I think bringing Weinke in was a risky hire with the potiental to be great but it hasnt worked out to this point. In fairness to him we had the worst Oline last year so it's hard to judge on field results after 1 year.

I think Pruitt will keep Weinke just for recruiting reasons.

He Won a heisTman trophy, he Won a National Championship as a QB and he has legit ties to the IMG Academy.

If nothing else the heisTman trophy and wining a NC and playing in the NFL will get recruits attention and crack open some doors so we can at least make a pitch to them.

If it were me I'd rather lose Weinke and keep YAC Johnson as our WR coach.

VFL...GBO!!!

Regarding Weinke, if I'm mistaken it's due to my faulty recollection. But was not the whole premise for bringing Weinke to The Hill was due to his connection and ability to recruit IMG Academy out of FLA? Looking at this year's class, see a stampede out of IMG to sign schollys with us? Sooooooo why is it we need Weinke again as decent RB coaches are a dime a dozen these days???

Regarding Weinke, if I'm mistaken it's due to my faulty recollection. But was not the whole premise for bringing Weinke to The Hill was due to his connection and ability to recruit IMG Academy out of FLA? Looking at this year's class, see a stampede out of IMG to sign schollys with us? Sooooooo why is it we need Weinke again as decent RB coaches are a dime a dozen these days???

I think it was mainly for his FLA connections. He has been a disappointment. I say show him the door.

Reactions: jeff1vol
It would be funny to steal Sam Pittman from UGA. It would be a crushing blow. Not saying we need to replace Will Friend. He didn’t have much to work with last year.

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
This whole experience with Pruitt is exciting to say the least. None of us fans have tge slightest clue what he is doing.
None of us considered Chaney as OC and out of the blue, here he is. I certainly thought it would have been Friend.
You CERTAINLY posted it over and over and...😴

Many posters stated ad nauseum that it would be Friend, the hire would be minor league because “that’s the Tennessee way”. That and the running narrative that “Tennessee won’t pay because they’re not committed to winning”, needs to be slammed shut.

Many posters stated ad nauseum that it would be Friend, the hire would be minor league because “that’s the Tennessee way”. That and the running narrative that “Tennessee won’t pay because they’re not committed to winning”, needs to be slammed shut.
Thank you! Balls can start to recover. 😖

I think Johnson takes another job after signing day.

You also could see both Winke and Kelly gone.

Pruitt, Kelly & fair all coach defense backs. Needed all 3 last year with two true freshman corners having to start & the plan of Flowers starting all year.

Moving forward don’t really need 3 defensive back coaches

No doubt. Weinke was a college QB and at his previous stops was a QB coach. Here he was the RB coach, which I think is code for "recruiter for IMG kids" (he was the HC there from 2010-14. We only had one kid (Akporoghene) from IMG sign for 2019, and he wasn't highly rated.

I think Johnson takes another job after signing day.

You also could see both Winke and Kelly gone.

Pruitt, Kelly & fair all coach defense backs. Needed all 3 last year with two true freshman corners having to start & the plan of Flowers starting all year.

Moving forward don’t really need 3 defensive back coaches
He’s also special teams and a helluva recruiter. If he leaves it’s for a promotion.

Reactions: UTK and vols1707
@butchna

Absolutely agree, Kelly leaving would be for a promotion. And teams will come for him.

Tennessee just won’t put up as much of a fight due to having Pruitt and fair coaching defensive backs if push comes to shove with a negotiation.

It’s a flexible staffing position right now all I’m saying.

So assuming it is David Johnson that’s out for Tee, what other staffshake ups do you see? .

I'm hoping this entire premise is false. David Johnson is one of the best WR coaches in the nation and also one of our best recruiters.

If we're going to replace someone, it should be Weinke. 247 had him rated as our weakest recruiter.

247 Recruiter Rankings

Another possibility is removing a defensive coach.

Last edited:
So assuming it is David Johnson that’s out for Tee, what other staffshake ups do you see? I’ve heard people (Swain mostly) hinting at more staff changes to come. Weinke seems like the weakest link...I wonder if there’s a good recruiter RB coach that played at UT out there hmmmmm. Charles Kelly to Maryland may be something to watch for. Not sure about a replacement if it were to happen.
Still think we should have kept Gillespie

Agree with all the above.

Thought it was Friend at first, then leaned with @butchna being that it maybe Sark

Gotta give Fulmer and Pruitt kudos

Reactions: feathersax

VN Store

Back