Vols hire Chaney per Multiple Sources

NO....YOU don't see anything....must need your morning coffee....

Cheney's chokes are long and distinguished. Crap, I doubt if UGa would've beaten Fla this year without all of Florida's turnovers....

He's not elite, but I guess he's the best we could get at this time. I just don't expect him to develop an offense that will win the SEC championship.
And it hasn't been just one game like the Memphis debacle under Cutcliffe. Jim Cheney is NO David Cutcliffe....

The vids are all out there on Youtube if you want to actually take the time to watch him... CJP had him stymied this past season for a while with absolutely NOTHING of a defense.
Every time I type in Cheney, YouTube shows me some Vice President dude.

I'm NOT the one doubting CJP's ability to develop a defense. But sir, did you notice UGA's defense last year in the NC game against Bama? And what did Kirby's D get him this year?

His pathetic OC stunk it up at LSU and got his D gassed....same with TX in bowl game....same with Bama in the SEC championship...

It's why Kirby and crew were not interested in extending their time with Cheney. They are at least smart enough to realize that Cheney hit his ceiling and had nowhere to go but down.
Points out 3 games therefore Chaney sucks. Let's just ignore the history of success, points scored and development of QB's. You're entitled to your opinion and still be wrong.

Chaney is 0-4 against Gators when he was an OC at Tennesee. We weren't even that good then. Not worried now.
He's coached 27 NFL draft picks, coached 11 1000 yard rushers (play calling) in 2012 averaged 475.9 yards per game ,2nd most in school history averaging 36.9 points a game, Bray passed for 3,612 yards and 34 touchdowns, with Georgia led the SEC in rushing for 2 straight years, set school records at GA in rushing and rushing TD's, took a true freshman to the CFB playoffs, ranked in the top ten in total offenses 10 times at Purdue, coached Drew Brees, led the Big Ten in passing 5 times, coached the hell out of Nathan Peterman who got drafted after his bust here. One of the best OC's in the game but let's complain as usual.

Lol using Bama as an example smdh

Ok, now let's use some logic - is UT Alabama? No we aren't. Are we ever going to field one of those historic 9 ppg or 11 ppg Bama defenses? Extremely unlikely.

The game is also changing. Bama and Clemson averaged 48 and 44 ppg this year.

I don't why you'd want a "mid 30s" Chaney offense when you could shoot higher.

We have to field an extremely high scoring offense to ever have a chance. Fact: in his NINETEEN years, Chaney has never, not once, not a single time fielded a top-10 offense.
Um, During his nine seasons as the offensive coordinator at Purdue, Chaney's offenses ranked in the top 10 in the nation in total offense six times and led the Big Ten in passing five times. So your statement is not true due to lack of research.

Chaney is 0-4 against Gators when he was an OC at Tennesee. We weren't even that good then. Not worried now.
I feel kind of funny correcting a Gator fan about the quality of his own team but since you said this: Chaney was the OC at Tennessee from 2009-2012. Florida was 13-1 in '09 (Tebow's senior season) and 11-2 in '12 ... so, what you just said is not entirely true.

Reactions: CedarHillVol
Points out 3 games therefore Chaney sucks. Let's just ignore the history of success, points scored and development of QB's. You're entitled to your opinion and still be wrong.

ditto...

And no sir.....it's a LOT more than just 3 games by the way. Everyone points to the 2012 offense as proof of Cheney's ability. But go back and scrutinize that season and see the difference in offensive production versus the BEST teams and the mediocre teams.

UGa couldn't get there with arguably the BEST talent on offense they've ever had last year...and couldn't get Bama beaten this year, either....

I'm NOT questioning Cheney's knowledge of football...nor his ability to develop some good game plans...
He just can't seem to finish the deal in big games... UGA doesn't beat Fla this past year if Florida doesn't turn the ball over.

I just believe Cheney has hit his ceiling at UGA...and has nowhere to go but down. Kirby Smart definitely won't be crying about Cheney's departure.

I also don't think he was THE GUY CJP wanted as OC.
It's a SAFE hire... FOR NOW.

GO VOLS!

Last edited:
Um, During his nine seasons as the offensive coordinator at Purdue, Chaney's offenses ranked in the top 10 in the nation in total offense six times and led the Big Ten in passing five times. So your statement is not true due to lack of research.
Chaney scrapped his Purdue-style offense after he returned to the college ranks in 2009. There was an interview with Chaney when he took the Pitt job where he basically said he got bored with it. He does not run the same offense now.

I have hoped that this would happen.Mentioned on Nov.27andJan2,that I wished for Chaney and/or Chaney and Pittman.Others that Pruitt. talked to would have been good,but,Chaney dealing with the talent he either has or doesn't have,will get the job done.Thank you coach Pruitt.Now,let's go get these last few signees!GBO

ditto...

And no sir.....it's a LOT more than just 3 games by the way. Everyone points to the 2012 offense as proof of Cheney's ability. But go back and scrutinize that season and see the difference in offensive production versus the BEST teams and the mediocre teams.

UGa couldn't get there with arguably the BEST talent on offense they've ever had last year...and couldn't get Bama beaten this year, either....

I'm NOT questioning Cheney's knowledge of football...nor his ability to develop some good game plans...
He just can't seem to finish the deal in big games... UGA doesn't beat Fla this past year if Florida doesn't turn the ball over.

I just believe Cheney has hit his ceiling at UGA...and has nowhere to go but down. Kirby Smart definitely won't be crying about Cheney's departure.

I also don't think he was THE GUY CJP wanted as OC.
It's a SAFE hire... FOR NOW.

GO VOLS!

We get that you don't like Chaney, but we are far away from competing in big games. We need to beat USCjr, Vandy, Kentucky and Missouri at this point. If we can do that and start competing with Georgia, Florida, Alabama ext... and he can't get over the hump, CJP can address that issue later.

Last edited:
UGA had 454 yards of O and 28 offensive points vs Bama. The only teams that did better were OU and Clemson. The next highest total offense vs Bama during the regular season was 405. UGA's OL was far more patchwork than most seem to recognize.

Reactions: papatomany
Anti-Chaney folks have micro dongs, they ain't satisfied because they can't satisfy anyone.

UGA had 454 yards of O and 28 offensive points vs Bama. The only teams that did better were OU and Clemson. The next highest total offense vs Bama during the regular season was 405. UGA's OL was far more patchwork than most seem to recognize.

Let's see now SJT---are you now lauding moral victories? Did UGA actually WIN either of those games?

Why?
What was UGA's offensive production in the 4th QTR against BAMA last year?
How many yards did UGA's offensive gain in the 2nd half in this year's SEC championship game?

Now--are WE at Tennessee actually after winning the most yardage against Bama statistic or do we actually want to BEAT BAMA?

UGa's DEFENSE played well enough to beat BAMA to win both of those games--except for when their offense went into hibernation.

And we don't even have to talk about BAMA....

Auburn beat UGA's AZZ off last year in the first game when they were fully loaded....and UGA beat the walking Auburn wounded in the SEC championship.

UGA's offense didn't exactly tear it up against LSU this year either....not to mention needing all of those turnovers and about 10 plays from inside the 1 yard line to score and beat Fla.

As I said before...

He is a SAFE HIRE... for NOW... but he definitely wasn't the guy CJP wanted, but was pressured to hire.
Why did he only make it 2 years at Arky? Only 1 year at Pitt?

Just remember that....

Last edited:
We get that you don't like Chaney, but we are far away from competing in big games. We need to beat USCjr, Vandy, Kentucky and Missouri at this point. If we can do that and start competing with Georgia, Florida, Alabama ext... and he can't get over the hump, CJP can address that issue later.

I get that...it's why I posted a while back in this thread that Chaney is nothing more than an average, STOP-GAP hire for the moment.

But we paying him a lot of $$$....for mediocrity.....

Personally--and I posted this 30 days ago, or in that neighborhood, that I like the OC for the Washington Huskies.

IF we gonna pay out 1.5 mil/year---go get a dude who hasn't demonstrated how to steal defeat from the jaws of victory with the best talent he's ever had.

Is he the best oc....no.... but don't act like he didn't have y'all in national championship game last year and in sec title game this year....wait who really lost those games idk....there were quite bit points put up against that vaulted defense of kirby's!!!!! Point is he's a pretty dang good coordinator.....UGA fans literally are the worse....ignorant......defense wins championships and his offenses did enough for that.....this is not big 12
Congrats. You have a fine OC. I prefer a guy who is much thinner and can be on the sideline if needed. I also like a guy who doesn't fall apart under pressure. Chaney's been at UT before. You guys know what you're getting. You hired and fired him. Pittman's our guy.

The irony of both Chaney and Pittman going to UT would be delicious as it relates to Cade Mays. He chose GA over UT partly to be coached by these guys and now they both might wind up in Knoxville
We just promoted Pittman and he signed the contact. Why would he go to TN when he's loaded with a great O-line at UGA? Chaney was not an asset to UGA, Pittman is.

You're a great poster. Don't ruin like by acting like a typical butt hurt GA fan.

Think about this for a moment. Do you not think Kirby could have kept Chaney if he really wanted him? We've been competitive on a national scale under Kirby. The money's there. Kirby wanted to look elsewhere. Congrats on Chaney, but it's not like UT stole him. UGA gave him up. You had him before, you have him again. This time without Pittman or a deep O-line.

We just promoted Pittman and he signed the contact. Why would he go to TN when he's loaded with a great O-line at UGA? Chaney was not an asset to UGA, Pittman is.

... and now you know why Chaney had no problem wiping his feet on UGA's welcome mat and headed to Rocky top. Not an asset? LOL

Reactions: VolNExile
Congrats. You have a fine OC. I prefer a guy who is much thinner and can be on the sideline if needed. I also like a guy who doesn't fall apart under pressure. Chaney's been at UT before. You guys know what you're getting. You hired and fired him. Pittman's our guy.

Not a big fan of Kirby then are you?

Think about this for a moment. Do you not think Kirby could have kept Chaney if he really wanted him? We've been competitive on a national scale under Kirby. The money's there. Kirby wanted to look elsewhere. Congrats on Chaney, but it's not like UT stole him. UGA gave him up. You had him before, you have him again. This time without Pittman or a deep O-line.

Wouldn’t UGASheep4Life have been a more apropos username?

Get your nose out of your butt. If Kirby let him walk and truly didn't care why did he offer almost double what he was paying him to stay? Pruitt went down to Georgia looking for an OC to steal.

VN Store

Back