Recruiting Forum Off Topic Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who would, ethically, clear him? Frankly, that’s the pitch I think the staff has used on all of this crew-that Trey won’t ever play again. Kinda figures when you bring in two tackles, two guards, and a center.

And Trey was a generational guard prospect. He could play tackle, but he was gonna be a decade+ G in the NFL. Even if they find some kind of medicine so he could play healthy and not have serious medical complications, it would be for one season, and then that NFL thing I mentioned just a few seconds ago.

Trey is the only one that can clear himself.
Why hasn't the decision been made to let him Medically Scholarship.
Right now and possibly a year later would an NFL take a chance on him knowing of this condition?
The Debate continues

Now I understand why this site has so many that know nothing about football. It’s full of doctors.... Would all you medical experts please start a new thread about Trey Smiths medical diagnosis and leave this one alone. Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
I wasn't thinking correctly about arterial vs. venous clots... thanks.

But I was trying to communicate that his problem is that he is abnormally forming clots. Why? I don't know his actual diagnosis.
At his age--he more than likely has some genetic condition predisposing him to a hypercoagulable state.

So--if they DON'T treat and he continues to play he could suffer a PE and death.

If they DO treat he should not play because of the increased risk of a hemorrhagic stroke (and GI/internal bleeding).
Also if they don't treat, he probably would not be able to play because the number one symptom he was showing was a shortness of breath so obviously the clots were already forming in his lungs.

Now I understand why this site has so many that know nothing about football. It’s full of doctors.... Would all you medical experts please start a new thread about Trey Smiths medical diagnosis and leave this one alone. Thanks in advance...

Not sure medical knowledge has any correlation to football knowledge.

Warfarin inhibits the synthesis of vitamin K dependent clotting factors 2, 7, 9, and 10.

So, increasing dietary intake of Vitamin K can decrease the effectiveness of warfarin in preventing clot formation as quantified by monitoring INR.
There are certain INR ranges used for different medical conditions treated by warfarin.

Too much warfarin will be reflected by an INR that is too high, and put the patient at an increased risk for suffering internal bleeding in the gut or the brain.

The remedy used when a patient's INR is too high is to administer Vitamin K orally or sub-q.

There are certain foods that contain vitamin K and will ultimately decrease the INR value to a level that increases the patient's risk for developing clots.

Therefore, a consistent diet while taking warfarin allows the Doctor to determine the most effective warfarin dose to keep the INR within its proper range.
An inconsistent diet with a different amounts of vitamin K containing veggies keeps the MD/NP/PA chasing the INR to keep it within its proper range--and can put the patient at an increased risk of adverse events.

This is not a conspiracy perpetrated by anyone. It's plain 'ol scientific fact used every day in this country to treat millions of patients on warfarin therapy.

That is all.

That’s exactly my point. Many patients are told that they can’t eat certain foods when they begin a warfarin treatment and that is patently false. Frankly it’s lazy medicine or complete ignorance by those who provide such information.

Consistently is key. But any diet is fine and the dose can be adjusted accordingly.

Prescribers also tell my patients that they should buy brand name Coumadin and spend ridiculous amounts of money when a simple dosage adjustment is all that is necessary.

Appreciate your input.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
So you guys would rather make up your own information rather than get information who who knows what they are talking about.

No. This is a community of fans. If there is any news about DW, it will supersede the background chatter. In the meantime, enjoy the community, or feel free to go back to lurking.
Whatever you say Doc. #captainhighjacker

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back