If we get “Will Grier’d“ in the upcoming years

Will has a baby and milf to feed...

Will also got all the publicity, training, and education that made him marketable from places like WVU, too - even a second chance after his PED screw up at FL. Sometimes debt is front loaded and sometimes it's back loaded, but you should be willing to pay those who made you what you are.

Reactions: Orange_Vol1321
Foul Play: The draft night sabotage of Laremy Tunsil brings Ole Miss recruiting under suspicion
If y'all get a chance, and if you're interested, take a look at this 4 part docuseries on YouTube. This is the main reason I'm all for "student athletes" looking out for their best interests.

I'd like to have that problem. We can't even qualify for the 7-11 Toilet Bowl.

If a player decides to sit out for a "business decision", then all that says is he used his team mates as a "meal ticket". Tell that to some of the guys that have no chance of a meal ticket. Especially if Mom and Dad are sitting at home trying to hold things together so they can go watch a bowl, what ever day the bowl is played on.

Piss poor in my opinion.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP and AM64
If I’m not mistaken he has a wife and kid correct? If so I don’t blame him at all what are you truly gaining it’s a business it’s always been one. He is already the top qb in the draft likely so he has nothing positive to play for really. Latimore comes to mind one of the best running backs in the country and blows out his leg and boom career over

To me, it's a clear indicator of a young man's mindset, his values.

If he really cares for his teammates, he'll play in his final game with them.

If he cares more for himself, he'll do what best serves his own interests; that may mean sitting the game out.

I won't hate the kid who makes a selfish decision, and depending on the circumstances, I still may think of him as a VFL. But I'll definitely see it as a defining point of his character, who he really is.

Reactions: papatomany
Any of you going to support the player if they get hurt in said bowl game..................I’ll hang up and listen

Even taking a "Tennessee-first" attitude you could argue having as many Vols as possible playing in the NFL is 300x more important for the program than a bowl win.

Which is more effective in recruiting:
"We won the Citrus bowl two years in a row!"
or
"We have 25 players in the NFL right now."

Reactions: VOLNPA
Any of you going to support the player if they get hurt in said bowl game..................I’ll hang up and listen

Should we support them if they get hurt in their first game for their sophomore season? If they don't go to the playoffs that season that game is as worthless as the bowl game so why risk it?

Reactions: papatomany
If a player decides to sit out for a "business decision", then all that says is he used his team mates as a "meal ticket". Tell that to some of the guys that have no chance of a meal ticket. Especially if Mom and Dad are sitting at home trying to hold things together so they can go watch a bowl, what ever day the bowl is played on.

Piss poor in my opinion.
I think the same could be said for those guys being recruited in high school and their team mates don't have a chance to play at the next level( college). Did they just use their mates for a meal ticket? How about a G5 HC who gets a P5 job but cant bring his whole staff and leaves before the season is done? Didn't he use his coaches as a meal ticket? Life aint fair... I would hate the situation (especially if it cost our Vols a victory) but I haven't ever had anybody offer me millions so I cant tell what I would do.

Lower bowls have always been meaningless. Only bowls that really mean that anything before BCS was the teams that were being voted on for NC.

Many years ago, but certainly in my lifetime, the "lesser" bowls weren't as meaningful; but they weren't meaningless. A lot of 60s era Tennessee players and fans would say that at one time the Bluebonnet bowl was a big deal.

However, I can agree with you that once businesses named bowl games for themselves, as tax write offs, and advertising, they proliferated like bunnies in heat; and, yeah, most of the new bowls are fairly worthless (and trashy) because they cater to very mediocre teams who would never have been considered bowl worthy in the past.

Not sure how these players could pass on the glory of a Cheez It Bowl experience. :rolleyes:

Can see both sides of the argument to an extent but it doesn't say much about these guys as teammates.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Basically if we have a star player sit out the bowl game, and it ends up costing us the game, how we will view that player going forward? Will we still refer to them as “VFL”? Does it depend on the extent of the bowl?

Just curious as to how the masses of VN will feel, because I’m sure it’s going to happen to us at some point.

i have no problem with it. as a coach there is the upside of getting the replacement good game reps. while players do have the option of insurance policy against injury, i rarely see this option exercised

the amount of money involved is much different these days. these kids have a lifelong investment in pursuing a career. the next thing will be guys sitting out their 3rd years completely. the economics will dictate it. life goes on

If it’s not the Playoffs or a NY6 Bowl, I’m fine with it.

I can understand to a point of them sitting out a bowl game. But on the other hand they would not be in a position to get drafted in nfl if it were not for getting a scholarship to play football. So in a sense I feel they owe it to the team. They wouldn't be where they are without them.

They did their part by helping that school GET to a bowl game. The school/conference gets the same payout win or lose.

And as I stated earlier in the thread. The regular season is still auditioning time. Your performance there is what gets you drafted, not a one off exhibition game.

We’re also talking about a school that had the HC bolt for money to Houston 5 days later. Can u blame Grier knowing that now? Like I said every situation is different

i have no problem with it. as a coach there is the upside of getting the replacement good game reps. while players do have the option of insurance policy against injury, i rarely see this option exercised

the amount of money involved is much different these days. these kids have a lifelong investment in pursuing a career. the next thing will be guys sitting out their 3rd years completely. the economics will dictate it. life goes on

I think sitting out a junior season would only benefit a 1 or 2 players in any given year. NFL teams want plenty of film when making evaluations. And honestly I wouldn’t blame those guys either.

I would love it if Tua decided he has done enough in college.

Basically if we have a star player sit out the bowl game, and it ends up costing us the game, how we will view that player going forward? Will we still refer to them as “VFL”? Does it depend on the extent of the bowl?

Just curious as to how the masses of VN will feel, because I’m sure it’s going to happen to us at some point.
That sounds like a wonderful problem to have.

I still have utmost respect for Derek Barnett coming back and playing in his bowl game.

Players who sit out are selfish in my opinion. Their teammates who helped them get to where they are deserve to be at full strength in the bowl game. To sit out, is downright disrespectful to them. There are a bunch of guys who will play their last game in their college uniform, the least you could do is suit up and try and make it memorable for them.

Truly good players will find a way to rise to the top in the NFL. They don't need to sit out. The liklihood of getting injured could happen at any time in the season, including your first game in the NFL. Its a never-ending risk. If you are good and prove your worth you will get your money in that 2nd contract, not the 1st.
Agree... speaking of which and a bit off topic but did Mariota sit out the most important game in years for the titans because he could risk further injury? In other words he was capable of playing yet didn’t want to risk injury? I mean in football the next play could be anyone’s last.... if he sat it out while capable of playing I hope he didn’t receive a paycheck for that game. Their are inherent risks with many peoples jobs, I’m guessing most people can’t go to their bosses and say “ hmm I’m not going to work today because I don’t want to risk hurting myself but I still expect to get paid, thanks!”

Bowl games=practice for the young ones.

VN Store

Back