If we get “Will Grier’d“ in the upcoming years

KnoxRealtorVOL

First of his name
Basically if we have a star player sit out the bowl game, and it ends up costing us the game, how we will view that player going forward? Will we still refer to them as “VFL”? Does it depend on the extent of the bowl?

Just curious as to how the masses of VN will feel, because I’m sure it’s going to happen to us at some point.

I understand why they do this, because playing in an ultimately meaningless bowl game gives you a chance at a bad injury that could either hamper your ability in the combine and pro day, or worse... It is frustrating, but if it's not for a national championship game or something else highly meaningful, I am okay with it because if I was in their shoes, a "nothing to gain and everything to lose" should be avoided.

Basically if we have a star player sit out the bowl game, and it ends up costing us the game, how we will view that player going forward? Will we still refer to them as “VFL”? Does it depend on the extent of the bowl?

Just curious as to how the masses of VN will feel, because I’m sure it’s going to happen to us at some point.

I would not like a player sitting out BUT if we had a very capable back up, it would soften the blow.
For instance, Chandler sat out bowl,game and Jordan & Banks filled in. However, if Mecham sat out bowl game and Barney Vezey was his replacement and it hurt the team, then yes, I would be butt hurt.

I still have utmost respect for Derek Barnett coming back and playing in his bowl game.

Players who sit out are selfish in my opinion. Their teammates who helped them get to where they are deserve to be at full strength in the bowl game. To sit out, is downright disrespectful to them. There are a bunch of guys who will play their last game in their college uniform, the least you could do is suit up and try and make it memorable for them.

Truly good players will find a way to rise to the top in the NFL. They don't need to sit out. The liklihood of getting injured could happen at any time in the season, including your first game in the NFL. Its a never-ending risk. If you are good and prove your worth you will get your money in that 2nd contract, not the 1st.

If we're in the hunt for a Natty I'd say he plays. If we're playing in weed eater independence bowl and he's a projected first round pick ?! Hell no.

Big leap assuming this lowly program plays in a Bowl game anytime soon

Honestly if it's a meaningless bowl game I could care less.

Don’t expect me to pay to show up for the bowl game then. Not pointing at any one comment in this thread but this is what sickens me with sports and what they have become all the way down to the college level now. To so many it is not the love of the game but money. Saw a piece today on the Texas QB who lost his dad and they were lifelong Texas fans. I bet you he would not sit out a bowl game. He had instilled in him not only a love for the game but the Longhorns. This is what is missing from the guys sitting out and the it’s a business comments from recruits. Not saying they are wrong. It is a business. However, that concept is what is wrong with what sports on the college level have become.

Our entire team is sitting out the bowl game to prepare for the draft. Amirite?

Unless it’s a playoff game, I can’t blame a kid one bit and their teammates will understand the decision from a business standpoint as well

Reactions: Lawrence Wright
A part of me gets upset at them sitting, and I want to throw out the "not VFL" thing, but there seems to be a lot that goes into that decision and how the players SHOULD be viewed.
If it's Georgia, there season is kinda over and they drew a lesser opponent. They may not even care about it. If it's a player for Texas? Big season and get a shot at beating Georgia in the Sugar? Heck yeah I would want him to play, especially as a teammate.
What if the team is struggling and the coaches need this bowl win? I might be more inclined to play.
What if the teammate is the most unselfish individual on the team and we owe him everything for where we are?
I think it completely depends.

Last edited:
For meaningless games

Its no different than alligator-arming a ball over the middle or stepping out of bounds to avoid contact..its a business decision

For playoff games, you better play since scouts may question your desire if you sit...

VN Store

Back