Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl: Purdue (6-6) vs Auburn (7-5) (1:30 ET, ESPN)

Maybe, Bama was one stupid play away from being up 28-6 in the first half.
Lotta people blame the offense and Sark for the loss to Clemson in the CFP title game too. Especially Bammers themselves.

They scored 31 against a really stout defense but allowed Deshaun to throw for 420. I think a lot of them just can't bring themselves to admit that the defense, particularly the secondary (which is Saban's baby), is the reason why Alabama loses games when they do rarely lose them.

In a lot of these losses, especially the more recent ones, look at the points allowed. 35 to Clemson, 43 to Ole Miss, 42 to Ohio St, 45 to Oklahoma.

It's quite a feat to score 63 points and only put up 7 in the entire 2nd half.

Lotta people blame the offense and Sark for the loss to Clemson in the CFP title game too. Especially Bammers themselves.

They scored 31 against a really stout defense but allowed Deshaun to throw for 420. I think a lot of them just can't bring themselves to admit that the defense, particularly the secondary (which is Saban's baby), is the reason why Alabama loses games when they do rarely lose them.

In a lot of these losses, especially the more recent ones, look at the points allowed. 35 to Clemson, 43 to Ole Miss, 42 to Ohio St, 45 to Oklahoma.

You’re definitely right about the secondary. It also takes unbelievable players or players having the games of their life on the opposing team to beat them . Stephen Garcia (game of his life) Cam Newton (Heisman) Tebow (Heisman) Johnny Football (Heisman) Deshaun Watson ( Should’ve won Heisman) Chad Kelly (Game of his life) Zeke (All pro RB) Auburn (freak ending) . Auburn beat them up pretty good last year too and then they just didn’t show up versus Utah and OU.

The worst thing that could’ve happened for Kyler Murray is that he won the Heisman over Tua and Saban has had a month to prepare.

Reactions: 05_never_again
You’re definitely right about the secondary. It also takes unbelievable players or players having the games of their life on the opposing team to beat them . Stephen Garcia (game of his life) Cam Newton (Heisman) Tebow (Heisman) Johnny Football (Heisman) Deshaun Watson ( Should’ve won Heisman) Chad Kelly (Game of his life) Zeke (All pro RB) Auburn (freak ending) . Auburn beat them up pretty good last year too and then they just didn’t show up versus Utah and OU.

The worst thing that could’ve happened for Kyler Murray is that he won the Heisman over Tua and Saban has had a month to prepare.
The other pattern with Bama is that it almost always takes a mobile QB, often running a spread/read option offense, to beat them. The only exceptions are LSU in 2010 and 2011. They don't always lose to mobile QBs, but when they do lose, it quite often is to a team with a mobile QB.

That's a big part of the reason why I think Georgia, as long as they run that conventional offense, is going to have a hard time beating Alabama, and it's also why I think Auburn, who has been really up and down as a program, has nipped Alabama 3 times since 2010.

Oklahoma fits that profile, but I don't think they'll beat them.

The other pattern with Bama is that it almost always takes a mobile QB, often running a spread/read option offense, to beat them. The only exceptions are LSU in 2010 and 2011. They don't always lose to mobile QBs, but when they do lose, it quite often is to a team with a mobile QB.

That's a big part of the reason why I think Georgia, as long as they run that conventional offense, is going to have a hard time beating Alabama, and it's also why I think Auburn, who has been really up and down as a program, has nipped Alabama 3 times since 2010.

Oklahoma fits that profile, but I don't think they'll beat them.
well UT is planning on the pro style offense, so looks like it will be some time before they beat Alabama

Guess nobody realizes this is the first game Gus took the play calling back and you could tell. Different team than what I've seen all year. Looking back this year is prob going to be one of his biggest regrets.

It's impossible to look at that type of offensive production without understanding how offensive scheme reflects eventually on defensive production.

Facto #1 - Bama punted in the game 11 times. More than any game all year. Our 3rd down production was horrific.

Fact #2 - We had the lead going into the 4th quarter. Bama was leading 24-14. So what changed?

Fact #3 - Clemson scored the go-ahead TD on the 99th offensive play of the game.

Conclusion: Our offense left our great defense on the field for 99 plays, entirely too long. The inability to sustain offensive drives cost Bama in the end. Even then it took a great QB to get it done.

60 + points, unbelievable. Feel sorry for the Purdue fan in the wheelchair.

Guess nobody realizes this is the first game Gus took the play calling back and you could tell. Different team than what I've seen all year. Looking back this year is prob going to be one of his biggest regrets.

Why did gus get away from his hyper-spread offense in the first place? Did you hear what the play by play dude said when the barners went up 28 to 0? "Folks your not going to believe this but auburn has had the ball just over 5 minutes." And so it goes.

There is a valid reason the barners have been playing lights out defense these last few seasons. Same reason the barner administration was begging gus to turn over OC duties. He was struggling mightily in sustaining drives and his defenses were getting shattered against the better talent in the SEC. So he's been doing this dance that requires he slow down the pace and have some semblance of ball control. The advantage has been they now have a very good defense and they hired a very good DC to run it. Will that type of success continue if gus starts being gus?

NO. Not against the elite teams. As soon as they catch up with their speed and scheme, they will shut down the TDs in the red zone. They'll have to kick too many field goals and that is certain death for gus's offense. And their D will be eventually left out to dry. So goes the delicate dance between offensive and defensive scheme in college football.

But at this stage of his barner career, I think he's just going down with the ship being gus. Checks cash either way.

I dont know about that. Bamas defense couldnt stop Zeke.
And look what the man is doing for my Cowboys??? 1600 some yards rookie year about 1000 last year and so far this year 1400+. He’s a beast!!!! Look for him to possibly challenge Emmitt in about 10 years....he’s my puck to destroy the rush record...

VN Store

Back