Friday night watching Josiah James

geechevol

No unprotected social intercourse
Moised over to the Porter Gaud gym tonight and saw some of their game against Trinity Heights. Josiah James our 2019 recruit was all over the court. The fans were buzzing as he showed out, clearly the best player on the court.
PG is in SCISA class 3 so not one of the power schools in SC but they've won the last 3 state championships in their division and are the best academic HS in the lowcountry.
He's got size 6 7, strength, runs the point finding teammates with great assists, has all the gears, strokes the jumper, blocks shots, and he is a lefty. Basically he is everything we could hope for in a player. Very smooth.
We got good times ahead my friends.

Not sure what you mean by collecting a check? He's earned one IMO...

I didn't use blue font bc I thought it was obvious.

That was the knock on CRB in yr 1&2 when more than a few UT fans thought he wasn't passionate about recruiting, or hyping the program. They're all completely silent about this now, of course.

The mantra was that he was washed up and just riding into a career sunset at our expense.

I get tired of the riding into the sunset scenario! People like Rick Barnes are professionals and enjoy their work. These guys are what causes The Big O problems. They give their heart and soul to a career and succeed to a point only to have a turd on volnation insinuate that he has no heart. Where was Tenn when we could have hired him a long time ago and probably won a NCAA championship by now. It is always about buying your way to heaven instead of just work. On an other side note I think the three star Kevin Durant digresses! So fyp about riding into the sunset!

I get tired of the riding into the sunset scenario! People like Rick Barnes are professionals and enjoy their work. These guys are what causes The Big O problems. They give their heart and soul to a career and succeed to a point only to have a turd on volnation insinuate that he has no heart. Where was Tenn when we could have hired him a long time ago and probably won a NCAA championship by now. It is always about buying your way to heaven instead of just work. On an other side note I think the three star Kevin Durant digresses! So fyp about riding into the sunset!

Read harder

There was a local radio guy spreading that crap about Barnes for the first 2 and half years he was here, it wasn't until the team took off late last year that he finally quit talking bad about Barnes and his staff on and off the air.

There was a local radio guy spreading that crap about Barnes for the first 2 and half years he was here, it wasn't until the team took off late last year that he finally quit talking bad about Barnes and his staff on and off the air.
Actually, no.
He’s owned his error multiple times on the air.

I didn't use blue font bc I thought it was obvious.

That was the knock on CRB in yr 1&2 when more than a few UT fans thought he wasn't passionate about recruiting, or hyping the program. They're all completely silent about this now, of course.

The mantra was that he was washed up and just riding into a career sunset at our expense.
I was one of those who wondered what his passion was for recruiting. I had heard that he didn't travel nearly as much as other head coaches may have, and that his assistants did the bulk of the travel recruiting. My understanding from reading, hearing others, etc was that he was the closer on the backend. Not sure personally if any of this was true or not, but that is what many thought.

Don Devoe probably lost his job because although he was an excellent floor coach, his recruiting was suspect. Barnes was perceived by me and many others to have been a great collector of talent at Texas, but not getting his teams to perform consistently well in the Big Dance. So yes, naturally, his first two years in Knoxville, many of us wondered where these issues might affect our basketball program. He has proven he can develop and coach, and that is so great to see, especially with high character guys. I will add that if I'm a good recruit, I want to know that the head man wants me, so my preference is to have him be very active in my recruitment, but also understanding that assistants are very important as well. All that said, I just want to win, be it by high-level recruiting, development, or coaching.

Barnes best teams with Providence, Clemson and Texas were comprised of underrated athletes coached up and schooled in fundamentals until they were mentally tougher than their opponents...and then a star or two would fill up the roster. His later teams in Austin started landing All-Americans and many of the one and out or two and outs. He was able to start over in Knoxville with us bleeding, and unable to fault him for the sparse win totals and has led to his preferred model on display this season. Don’t look for him to stray from that again for the remainder of his career.

Barnes best teams with Providence, Clemson and Texas were comprised of underrated athletes coached up and schooled in fundamentals until they were mentally tougher than their opponents...and then a star or two would fill up the roster. His later teams in Austin started landing All-Americans and many of the one and out or two and outs. He was able to start over in Knoxville with us bleeding, and unable to fault him for the sparse win totals and has led to his preferred model on display this season. Don’t look for him to stray from that again for the remainder of his career.
Good assessment. Thanks.

We need him to come in and fill the role of Admiral next year! Admiral is going to be a huge loss. I know we will have Grant but dont know anyone on our current roster that will be able to fill Admirals role!

I was one of those who wondered what his passion was for recruiting. I had heard that he didn't travel nearly as much as other head coaches may have, and that his assistants did the bulk of the travel recruiting. My understanding from reading, hearing others, etc was that he was the closer on the backend. Not sure personally if any of this was true or not, but that is what many thought.

Don Devoe probably lost his job because although he was an excellent floor coach, his recruiting was suspect. Barnes was perceived by me and many others to have been a great collector of talent at Texas, but not getting his teams to perform consistently well in the Big Dance. So yes, naturally, his first two years in Knoxville, many of us wondered where these issues might affect our basketball program. He has proven he can develop and coach, and that is so great to see, especially with high character guys. I will add that if I'm a good recruit, I want to know that the head man wants me, so my preference is to have him be very active in my recruitment, but also understanding that assistants are very important as well. All that said, I just want to win, be it by high-level recruiting, development, or coaching.

Well spoken. I'll admit some concern, when he wasn't immediately in on any Texas region players. Looks like he had a plan that's working out so far.

We need him to come in and fill the role of Admiral next year! Admiral is going to be a huge loss. I know we will have Grant but dont know anyone on our current roster that will be able to fill Admirals role!

Is it a forgone conclusion that Grant stays? Wonder what his projections are w scouts?

Is it a forgone conclusion that Grant stays? Wonder what his projections are w scouts?

Grant is not a first round pick and wants to get his masters. I’d be shocked if he left.

Next years team should be top 15 also. Bone/James/Pons/Williams/Fulkerson with Bowden/Turner/Walker off the bench is a nice 8 man group. The problem will after the 2020-2021 season. That’s why tourney success is so important this year.

Looking forward to it!
From your scouting report of Josiah James, he appears to be the total package as a recruit.

I've always loved Coach Rick Barnes. He delivers everything anyone could dream about for a basketball coach.
Many moons ago when I was just a young Vol and believed Santa granted wishes, I got out my pencil and paper to write out my request for the perfect basketball coach, intending to compile a numerical list of needed attributes. To my surprise, by the time I was done, I looked at the list and instead of a number of prioritized coaching qualities, it was a sketched portrait of Coach Rick Barnes! The man can do no wrong in my book.

Grant is not a first round pick and wants to get his masters. I’d be shocked if he left.

Next years team should be top 15 also. Bone/James/Pons/Williams/Fulkerson with Bowden/Turner/Walker off the bench is a nice 8 man group. The problem will after the 2020-2021 season. That’s why tourney success is so important this year.
Burns is going to get a lot of minutes next year. Had he not reclassified (originally 2019) he would have been a top 100 player (Was rated 108 at the time).
Barnes made a strategic move in getting him to reclassify since he has the luxury to redshirt and that took him out of the recruiting world. Essentially he is a 2019 signee who just happens to already be enrolled and on campus. What he’ll learn this year will be invaluable. If you had James and Burns in the same class that’s likely a top 15 class.

Seeing him warm up with the team there isn’t much doubt that he was still growing and has hit at least 6’10”. Very good passer with an outside shot. Not a big leaper but good footwork and fundamentals. And unlike Fulk he doesn’t need to add size. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him starting at the 5 not long into the 2019/2020 campaign.

Burns is going to get a lot of minutes next year. Had he not reclassified (originally 2019) he would have been a top 100 player (Was rated 108 at the time).
Barnes made a strategic move in getting him to reclassify since he has the luxury to redshirt and that took him out of the recruiting world. Essentially he is a 2019 signee who just happens to already be enrolled and on campus. What he’ll learn this year will be invaluable. If you had James and Burns in the same class that’s likely a top 15 class.

Seeing him warm up with the team there isn’t much doubt that he was still growing and has hit at least 6’10”. Very good passer with an outside shot. Not a big leaper but good footwork and fundamentals. And unlike Fulk he doesn’t need to add size. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him starting at the 5 not long into the 2019/2020 campaign.

Yea I think there’s a good chance he’s our starting 5 next season

Your last paragraph is what I noticed as well. I think once he is able to rid himself of the rust next year, we're going to be thrilled with him. I watch him in warm-ups and he strikes me as being a really good player. Time will tell.

VN Store

Back