Friday night watching Josiah James

There was a local radio guy spreading that crap about Barnes for the first 2 and half years he was here, it wasn't until the team took off late last year that he finally quit talking bad about Barnes and his staff on and off the air.

Yeah, that was Basilio, acting like a f'n jerk first two years Barnes was here, said he wasn't recruiting, holding BB camps, etc.

Reactions: princeofmemphis
Barnes best teams with Providence, Clemson and Texas were comprised of underrated athletes coached up and schooled in fundamentals until they were mentally tougher than their opponents...and then a star or two would fill up the roster. His later teams in Austin started landing All-Americans and many of the one and out or two and outs. He was able to start over in Knoxville with us bleeding, and unable to fault him for the sparse win totals and has led to his preferred model on display this season. Don’t look for him to stray from that again for the remainder of his career.
Best post I've read in a pretty good while. I agree 100 percent.

Reactions: butchna
I’ll admit that I was wrong on Barnes although I liked the Williams signing when it happened. I expected a solid guy, 10-15 pts per game. Didn’t expect POY in any stretch. Glad I was wrong

There was a local radio guy spreading that crap about Barnes for the first 2 and half years he was here, it wasn't until the team took off late last year that he finally quit talking bad about Barnes and his staff on and off the air.

Which one?

Burns is going to get a lot of minutes next year. Had he not reclassified (originally 2019) he would have been a top 100 player (Was rated 108 at the time).
Barnes made a strategic move in getting him to reclassify since he has the luxury to redshirt and that took him out of the recruiting world. Essentially he is a 2019 signee who just happens to already be enrolled and on campus. What he’ll learn this year will be invaluable. If you had James and Burns in the same class that’s likely a top 15 class.

Seeing him warm up with the team there isn’t much doubt that he was still growing and has hit at least 6’10”. Very good passer with an outside shot. Not a big leaper but good footwork and fundamentals. And unlike Fulk he doesn’t need to add size. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him starting at the 5 not long into the 2019/2020 campaign.

Without KA, it's hard to imagine Burns not being our starter at the 5. Fulk and a smaller lineup might, but he seems to struggle with stronger players.

Can't DJB redshirt still as long as he plays in < 30% of games. So, theoretically he could see the floor more during conference play. That would help him even more. Of course, that 30% RS rule (am I right?) can get sketchy w the one & done nature of tourney time. Lose unexpectedly fast in the SECT/NCAAT and all of a sudden your redshirt ain't a redshirt.

Without KA, it's hard to imagine Burns not being our starter at the 5. Fulk and a smaller lineup might, but he seems to struggle with stronger players.

Can't DJB redshirt still as long as he plays in < 30% of games. So, theoretically he could see the floor more during conference play. That would help him even more. Of course, that 30% RS rule (am I right?) can get sketchy w the one & done nature of tourney time. Lose unexpectedly fast in the SECT/NCAAT and all of a sudden your redshirt ain't a redshirt.

The new redshirt participation rule only applies in football.

He could always get “hurt” and play in a few games and still qualify for a medical redshirt.

Aha, maybe that's what I seent.

That's exactly what happened. And he only played a few minutes of garbage time in that exhibition iirc.

BTW, Burns looks like he's another that fits the mold. Instead of moping around and being disconnected during games, he wears a big smile and looks like he's having a good time even if he's just spectating from the bench. TN's future looks pretty bright with 4 more years of DJ and the 3 coming in next year. Plus the group of sophomores (Fulkerson, Johnson, Walker, Pons, and (maybe) Kent) are already collectively accruing a boat load of playing time. Kent may or may not be a freshman... that's what he's listed as, but there's been no official announcement.

Reactions: Vols All Day
That's exactly what happened. And he only played a few minutes of garbage time in that exhibition iirc.

BTW, Burns looks like he's another that fits the mold. Instead of moping around and being disconnected during games, he wears a big smile and looks like he's having a good time even if he's just spectating from the bench. TN's future looks pretty bright with 4 more years of DJ and the 3 coming in next year. Plus the group of sophomores (Fulkerson, Johnson, Walker, Pons, and (maybe) Kent) are already collectively accruing a boat load of playing time. Kent may or may not be a freshman... that's what he's listed as, but there's been no official announcement.
I think it helps when the plan was for you to always redshirt if at all possible. He knows the value of the experience he is getting in practice. Lack of playing time isn't catching him by surprise and he is set up nicely for a lot of PT next year if he earns it.

If he works on his offensive game, I think Fulkerson could take Schofield's spot at small forward next season with Jalen Johnson also seeing some minutes at small forward as well as Yves Pons depending on the match up situation. UT will have a very deep roster with players pushing each other and fighting for minutes. I think Walker and Burns will share time at the center position with Kent also in the mix.

If he works on his offensive game, I think Fulkerson could take Schofield's spot at small forward next season with Jalen Johnson also seeing some minutes at small forward as well as Yves Pons depending on the match up situation. UT will have a very deep roster with players pushing each other and fighting for minutes. I think Walker and Burns will share time at the center position with Kent also in the mix.

Fulkerson could eventually start at the 4 or 5 (high post/low post). I can't see him becoming a 3/wing unless he seriously upgrades his shooting accuracy. Pons, Johnson, and Gaines are the future at the 3 spot. I think that Pember is more likely to be a 3 than Fulkerson.

Reactions: sport3500
Yeah, that was Basilio, acting like a f'n jerk first two years Barnes was here, said he wasn't recruiting, holding BB camps, etc.
Yeah, there were a lot of people that missed on Barnes. People get it wrong

There is a big difference of people being skeptical or critical of a coach-- thats not what went on here. We had a local media member on a daily basis for over two years spewing "Hate" and openly "Slandering" Barnes, his assistants, their work ethic and attacking the program on a daily basis that he claims to care about. This wasn't an honest mistake-- this was evil and in my book unforgivable.

Reactions: Ratvol
There is a big difference of people being skeptical or critical of a coach-- thats not what went on here. We had a local media member on a daily basis for over two years spewing "Hate" and openly "Slandering" Barnes, his assistants, their work ethic and attacking the program on a daily basis that he claims to care about. This wasn't an honest mistake-- this was evil and in my book unforgivable.
Not sure I agree about it being evil, necessarily, but he was dead wrong and continued that narrative until it became abundantly clear he was pissing in the wind. He had an opinion and stubbornly stuck to it too long.

Back to James. Do y'all think Barnes is looking at him like a combo or as a full time PG? A lot will obviously be expected out of Jordan Bone next year.
My feeling is he'll take JBs breaks at the 1 but get looks in the mix at the 2 as well. All that if he comes in ready.

Back to James. Do y'all think Barnes is looking at him like a combo or as a full time PG? A lot will obviously be expected out of Jordan Bone next year.
My feeling is he'll take JBs breaks at the 1 but get looks in the mix at the 2 as well. All that if he comes in ready.
He’ll end up starting with Bone imo

VN Store

Back