Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, this could be a logical explanation. Only thing I could think of is if Nieds got an opportunity elsewhere, and Pruitt doesn’t want to announce he’s leaving until after ESD. If he left, he could affect many of our big recruits.
But wouldn't that have a longer term impact on the "trust" factor? One thing I have thought of could it be a FCS (previously posted D2 but should have had FCS) head coach whose team is in the playoffs and has asked not to be announced until their season ends.

Last edited:
Unless, by not having that 10th spot filled yet, he is getting the benefit of one of the best recruiters/closers out on the road for him. It just so happens to be his boss and a HOF, national champion former coach and current AD. Not many hires out there going to ring the bell in recruiting like Phil. Just a hunch...

That was last year.

But there’s been no word that Fulmer has been our recruiting. Felton has been the 10th guy out on the road.

That's the last that I saw, too.

But wouldn't that have a longer term impact on the "trust" factor? One thing I have thought of could it be a D2 head coach whose team is in the playoffs and has asked not to be announced until their season ends.
We would consider that a McGoogle or trot hire.

I’m going to stick with the fact that I don’t think we have a guy hired at this point.

What I do think is Pruitt knows a lot of guys are going to be fired after signing day and that’ll probably open up his candidate pool.

Reactions: nesbuddha66
It’s the same thing that stirs the Gruden stuff every 4 years. I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about this.

I think part of it is that we have a huge fan base hungry for any good news. So that hunger makes them gullible.

I also think we have a ton of boosters/administrators/insiders who love attention and like to stir the pot. So they all compete against each other to see who can promote the craziest rumor.

Also, people want to believe their “leaders” (I use that loosely) are competent. So when no news gets out, people want to believe it’s because everything is being handled behind the scenes. “There has to be a plan! Otherwise none of this makes sense!”
Just to add to this, I think as fans we want to see UT making big, splash moves, so that we can prove to ourselves and others that we're out there doing whatever is necessary to win. I think that's why you see the obsession with Gruden and Freeze. It's not that those guys are leaps and bounds better than other candidates; it's that they are household names with proven records. We'd rather have rival teams and their fans instantly thinking "oh ****" instead of them laughing after doing a google search, only to find that the guy we hired is excellent after his first season or two.

Just to add to this, I think as fans we want to see UT making big, splash moves, so that we can prove to ourselves and others that we're out there doing whatever is necessary to win. I think that's why you see the obsession with Gruden and Freeze. It's not that those guys are leaps and bounds better than other candidates; it's that they are household names with proven records. We'd rather have rival teams and their fans instantly thinking "oh ****" instead of them laughing after doing a google search, only to find that the guy we hired is excellent after his first season or two.

Valid point. A Google search to identify a coach can be hard to justify if the pick doesn't work out. If you pick a brand name, it's a lot easier to justify later based on track record; it not nearly as much ammo later for the guys that want to fire you.

siap - this is one of the best ever - my eyes are leaking

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">From first steps to the brightest lights.<br><br>The sacrifices.<br><br>The love.<br><br>The memories.<br><br>By your side, always. <a href="#PoweredByTheT hashtag on Twitter">#PoweredByTheT</a> <a href="Tennessee Football on Twitter">pic.twitter.com/SMWQdKqxWD</a></p>&mdash; Tennessee Football (@Vol_Football) <a href="">December 13, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Reactions: Rishvol
Brandon Streeter at Clemson makes a lot of sense for this situation.

-Jeff Scott and Tony Elliott are ahead of him on the Clemson staff pecking order for OC, and both of them are Clemson grads not likely to leave soon
-He makes $455k at Clemson
-Streeter is a Clemson grad and their recruiting coordinator, and doesn't want to screw over his alma mater by leaving until after ESD
-Has an OC background at the FCS level
-Currently coaches QBs

I could imagine him accepting the offer on the condition that he gets to stay through ESD

One last thing: big names generally come with big egos, and power struggles, a clash of wills and a divided staff will slow the rebuild. The quickest way to winning is for Pruitt to hire a guy who can be what he needs him to be-- not who the fans want him to be.

Carry on.
latest

Only reason I have hope for what Matthews is saying is because it was obvious Helton was out the door with weeks left of the season. At least leaks of him & Pruitt not meshing well surfaced.

I refuse to believe Pruitt didn't have some sort of plan in mind well before the end of the season to replace him. As it looks now, he is either completely unorganized and lost or he has had a consistent plan he has stuck to and didn't care what story line the fans/media built on their own.

For every story you hear about the guy, most say he is intelligent and calculated. I don't see why it would be any different here.

I'm frustrated with the timeline like everyone else. But I'm holding out hope he & Fulmer are in their zone and leading the program in the right direction.

There's an excellent article written by Dave Ubben of The Athletic. I know he's on here so not sure how much I can post - it's his Nov 29 interview/article with Tyson Helton. Helton's responses to his questions clears up all my concerns about his relationship with CJP and, really, most of my concerns about Coach Pruitt overall.

One last thing: big names generally come with big egos, and power struggles, a clash of wills and a divided staff will slow the rebuild. The quickest way to winning is for Pruitt to hire a guy who can be what he needs him to be-- not who the fans want him to be.

Carry on.
Don't be bringing common sense up in here!

Stage 4 meltdown in effect. Goes to 5 if it's Propst.

USC

2006 (Lane Kiffin OC) - 30.5 PPG
2007 (Sarkisian OC) - 32.6 PPG
2008 (Sarkisian OC) - 37.5 PPG
2009 (After Sark) - 26.5 PPG

Washington

2008 (Ty Willingham HC) - 13.2 PPG
2009 (Sarkisian HC) - 26.1 PPG
2010 (Sarkisian HC) - 21.8 PPG
2011 (Sarkisian HC) - 33.4 PPG
2012 (Sarkisian HC) - 24.0 PPG
2013 (Sarkisian HC) - 37.9 PPG

USC (again)

2013 (Kiffin HC) - 29.7 PPG
2014 (Sarkisian HC) - 35.8 PPG
2015 (5 games Sarkisian / 9 games Helton) - 39.8 PPG / 30.67 PPG

He's done better with the talent he had at USC than pretty much anyone since or during the Carroll era, and really elevated the Washington offense while he was there.

These are great stats. Shows what was happening before and after his tenure. The competition and teams are as close to apples apples as it gets. Sark has shown he can coach an offense.

We would consider that a McGoogle or trot hire.
I don't care what level they coach at as long as they can recruit and develop talent at the level we need them to in order to be successful. The X's and O's are the same. If you know the game, you know the game. They are just getting to work with more elite athletes.

Reactions: Bret178
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back