Freeze to become HC at Liberty

Auburn and FSU are both sinking ships and UT is a huge unknown. If he would’ve taken a chance at any of the 3 he was risking his future career based on HCs that either are already failing or are unproven.
By taking the liberty job he controls his own fate and any success or failures are his and not because of another coach not doing their job. If he comes here and we have success, would he get credit or would Pruitt get it for turning us back around. And ifbPruitt fails then he’s most likely a scapegoat to get Pruitt another year or two.

Reactions: tcdestiny
I think you guys are looking at this the wrong way. First, I do believe that we (and others) offered Freeze. Meanwhile, he knew there was competition and he wanted to see what was the best deal he could get with the best team for his situation. In this case, it was the HC position at Liberty. Many of you think its ridiculous that he would chose that over an OC position in the SEC but hear me out on why Liberty was probably the best possible job for him.

In order to get back to a superstar HC role (which I would assume is his plan), Freeze does not need to prove he can coach nor turn around a program, since he has done both already - he simply needs to wash off the hooker stink. Who better to do that than an uber conservative Christian school like Liberty? Once he has put in his 2 years there, nobody in the next job will hold his past against him, as the moralizers will presume that if Liberty accepted him, then they can too. Plus, it is a HC job, not just an OC, where he would be able to better demonstrate he can run the whole show.

In this case, I think Liberty offered Freeze the best chance at redemption and his shot at the big time again - so he rejected the other offers (including ours) that were on the table.

So now...moving on.

I think the fact that no SEC team was able to snatch him up makes it even more clear that Sankey and the SEC as a whole didnt want him back in the league. I dont see it as a failure by UT i see it as he was blackballed from coming back all around. Just my 2 cents.

What about the possibility that no SEC team wanted to "snatch him up?" What about the possibility that Liberty was as good as he could get? We don't really know do we?

I totally agree, " I don't see it as a failure by UT," but I sincerely doubt he was "blackballed" they way you suggest. I think he just wasn't all that and no established Power 5 school wanted him. His appearance and Liberty's appearance were made for each other. Good luck to them both.

Reactions: Volgirl4u
More fun in making you guess. Sarcasm or stupidity?

I was being sarcastic to the person who said "Welp we will never win another game now." He wasn't being sarcastic.

My apologizes to you. I will use blue font next time so you don't have to guess incorrectly. :)

In my business dealings Christians....outward ones...are the biggest liars of any people I've dealt with. When I hear "have a blessed day"...I know I'm getting screwed. Its just a fact. I'm a Christian...and I know there are many good ones...but it irks me there are so many who use it as a shield. "I'm saved so I can lie cheat and do whatever I want and I'm forgiven". Pffft.
I'm also a Christian and agree with this to a large extent. As you note, there are a few who walk it out, but it's the exception. Perhaps if these in-name-only believers actually took the time to read the book they claim to follow, it might save them from a very unpleasant surprise on The Day.

Evidently Fulmer, whom I seem to remember praying on the field years ago, missed that memo.
Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. I'm not going to latch on to a rumor or a report and pretend like it's true. There's a lot of misinformation and conflicting information floating around about this coaching search. I don't know what's true or isn't.

I'm not going to kid you, I was excited about the possibility of Freeze as our OC, but I may have to give credit to UT, FSU, and Alabama for having the stones to take a pass on the guy. They all had the motivation and money to make this happen so the fact it didn't says they have some level of standards.

That being said, Freeze obviously isn't a saint but probably deserves a second chance and I wish him well at Liberty.

Reactions: Volgirl4u
I find it interesting that Liberty's AD is Ian McCaw, who if you remember, was the AD that had to resign due to the Baylor scandal. It seems they are pretty serious about two things at least.... Second chances and winning!

Reactions: livefaith and Ertel
Probably had more to do with the recruiting restrictions that would have been placed on him. Would have been too big a burden for these teams or one of the big teams would have snagged him.

Reactions: Ertel
Does anyone else see the irony of a religious institution as Liberty hiring Hugh Freeze with his baggage, especially the phoning of prostitutes?

Reactions: Lurker

VN Store

Back