Why the demand for a rush hire?

Pruitt gets a do over on offence after a year on the job and Fulmer knows what a bad hire can do. It might not be the choice everyone wants but people who know way more football than us will be deciding. Taking your time on a big decision is not a bad thing - rushing into one can be. Also can't get worked up by the "nuggets" - gotta wait for the real news.

Not Gruden, but Mullen was very interested in the TN head coaching job and we never even talked to him. Meanwhile Florida fired their coach and hired Mullen before we even tried to sneak Schiano in. And look at how well Florida did this year.

So yeah, there is a reason to try to get to the best guys first.

We've had more time than any other school right now to get an OC and we are no closer to getting on then we were before. Meanwhile Lindsay is off to Kansas and Freeze is being courted by Alabama and FSU and they haven't even gotten the vacancy yet

Where was there a source saying Mullen was interested in us? If I remember correctly he wasn’t interested and he turned us down but I could be wrong.

Also I thought there were threads saying that Mullen couldn’t handle a bigger college role like us. Wasn’t there threads saying that Miss St. was his high point and he wouldn’t make it at a Tennessee? Pretty sure I’m right about that.

Pruitt gets a do over on offence after a year on the job and Fulmer knows what a bad hire can do. It might not be the choice everyone wants but people who know way more football than us will be deciding. Taking your time on a big decision is not a bad thing - rushing into one can be. Also can't get worked up by the "nuggets" - gotta wait for the real news.

Taking your time is one thing, we are past that. Now we're just watching our best possible options head elsewhere and we will be stuck with an underwhelming hire. It's the Vol way.

Doing the ol' jedi mind trick move, I see.

I mean, I guess I can go along with it. What do we have to lose? We're already a joke and a bottom dweller in the SEC. Better start the "renovations" bc we won't be selling out the upper deck of Neyland with the trash we've been rolling out on the field.

It will be ANOTHER underwhelming hire that will lead to further apathy and disgust from the fanbase. This sucks.

Watch Bama. They will decisively hire a OC. Boosters, Boards, School Admin will cohesively facilitate the hiring. It makes me sick.

There is no doubt Helton was gone weeks before the season was over. Why we weren’t making contingency plans is mind boggling. If we wanted Freeze there should’ve been an offer on the table the day Helton left with a deadline to accept. It’s not that difficult.

Here’s a good question though. What if Freeze said NO already and it was partly because of our fan base?

Would they ever admit it or believe it? Not saying I’m right BUT they never talk about it without deflecting immediately.
You are.aware that the only difference between us and any other major program is the color we wear,.right?

Reactions: OneVolNation
So I considered starting a thread but decided it could be answered in one of the a billionty threads regarding the OC hire . What would the reaction be if Mcelwain (jaws humper ) was hired as the new OC? He is certainly a bit of an odd donkey.... but he was also very highly sought after once he was ready to move on from Alabama . For the record I am not advocating it but I also think that we could do a lot worse .

Not sure which is harder or will be accomplished first? UT achieving a winning season or conducting an expedient quality coaching hire

Not sure which is harder or will be accomplished first? UT achieving a winning season or conducting an expedient quality coaching hire

Can't do that. Think about it. You hire a proven winner fast enough and now you have to work twice as hard to keep from winning.
Much easier to sponsor some of that there on the job training when it's all that's left and pay it forward.

Because dominoes are falling. Being the first major school with a big opening should be an advantage, we've now squandered that head start.

We are large in the size of the school but not a major school in terms of football coaching prowess. Facts are facts..... we aren’t where we once were.

Perhaps if we wait long enough until we never are again it will solve that pesky bug of hope and expectations some of them East Tennessee rednecks keep bothering us about after each season. We'll break their spirit yet, you just watch.

Watch Bama. They will decisively hire a OC. Boosters, Boards, School Admin will cohesively facilitate the hiring. It makes me sick.

There is no doubt Helton was gone weeks before the season was over. Why we weren’t making contingency plans is mind boggling. If we wanted Freeze there should’ve been an offer on the table the day Helton left with a deadline to accept. It’s not that difficult.

Bama is gonna hire Freeze... I just know it. Watch.

We fired Butch before Florida fired their coach, they got Mullen before we made a hire and Mullen had been very interested in Tennessee but never got a phone call (Because the only guy Currie was after was freaking Schiano)

I'm not saying that they are all winners, but it certainly isn't a stretch to say that most other programs seem to be able to handle coach searches a lot quicker with better resolutions then we have.

Trust me, I'm well aware that the problems started with Hamilton, I was a voice in the wilderness because I hated the Kiffin hire. But the facts are I didn't really get into following football until I started college at UT, which jus happened to be Fulmer's final year.

So frankly, I've never seen a competent coach search done by UT, and if the rumors are true we still have enough incompetent administrators to muck up our coaching searches.

Actually I think you have seen a competent coach search done by UT . The last go around was two searches. The Curry clown show, and a real search once Fulmer was made AD. He got it done competently - a complete staff with a minimum of fuss. As I recall Pruitt even requested that his salary be reduced to pay assistants more. I'm not sure how you do it much better than that unless you simply disagree with the choice of coaches.

Now a little history on "proven coaches". Doug Dickey came here in 1964 and took over a losing team (they went 4-5-1 and 1-5-1) - including a loss to Vandy - it was my freshman year at UT, and I watched the Vandy loss on a very miserably cold day in Vandy's POS "stadium". Within a short time, Dickey had winning teams - one service said a NC team. Dickey was an assistant at AR when he was named HC at TN. As a successful HC he went to FL, inherited a 9-1-1 team that went 7-4 his first year, was never really successful, and Dickey was fired after the 1978 team went 4-7 The story was that the players he inherited wanted a different coach and a different type of play; that maybe sounds familiar. I'm not sure what really constitutes a successful coaching search because a lot of the ones done "competently" resulting in hiring proven commodities quickly simply never worked out, so it's really hard to say what the exact measure is.

Just a short time ago Freeze was considered a cheat, his tenure at MS a scandal, and I'd bet most on this board considered him a pariah. I know people here thought he was paying for recruits and should have been run out of the conference on a rail. Amazing how things change in such a short time.

Reactions: SolidRockGolf

VN Store

Back