Why the demand for a rush hire?

Another thing, yes we landed Bailey, but you're nuts if you dont think other schools arent negatively recruiting against us right now because we still dont have an OC. Other programs are in the ear of every single one of our recruits, pointing out our incompetence.
It's not incompetent to take a week and a half to interview and hire a coordinator

Serious answer as to why we don’t wait.....Dooley, Jones, Kiffen was good but stuck it deep after one year. The good ones are dealt early to the highest bidder. If you wait, you are left with....well.....a 4-8 record or 5-8 and making statements like “ we know we’ve gotten over the hump at Tennessee when we can start beating Vanderbilt again”.

So you’re saying that you know for a fact that if we jumped quickly and hired Gruden then we would have had a great first year or done a fantastic job? Because we paid the money and secured him quickly?

Reactions: Samuellbronkowitz
I’ve learned a thing or two from here over the years. I’m really interested in an open discussion about this.
Another thing, yes we landed Bailey, but you're nuts if you dont think other schools arent negatively recruiting against us right now because we still dont have an OC. Other programs are in the ear of every single one of our recruits, pointing out our incompetence.
And of course our own fan-base does everything in their collective power to lessen the blow of the NEGATIVE news. All our rival coaches would have to do is point the recruits to this supposed fan site to get all the negative vibe they need.

Serious answer as to why we don’t wait.....Dooley, Jones, Kiffen was good but stuck it deep after one year. The good ones are dealt early to the highest bidder. If you wait, you are left with....well.....a 4-8 record or 5-8 and making statements like “ we know we’ve gotten over the hump at Tennessee when we can start beating Vanderbilt again”.
Wow...your handle speaks volumes about your point of view.

So you’re saying that you know for a fact that if we jumped quickly and hired Gruden then we would have had a great first year or done a fantastic job? Because we paid the money and secured him quickly?

Not Gruden, but Mullen was very interested in the TN head coaching job and we never even talked to him. Meanwhile Florida fired their coach and hired Mullen before we even tried to sneak Schiano in. And look at how well Florida did this year.

So yeah, there is a reason to try to get to the best guys first.

We've had more time than any other school right now to get an OC and we are no closer to getting on then we were before. Meanwhile Lindsay is off to Kansas and Freeze is being courted by Alabama and FSU and they haven't even gotten the vacancy yet

Reactions: Samuellbronkowitz
It's not incompetent to take a week and a half to interview and hire a coordinator
Its incompetent to not already have him lined up. This vetting process should've already taken place. Like I said in another thread, if you think this staff only knew about Helton leaving 10 days ago you're nuts!

I'm not upset that they're not "rushing" to hire someone. I'm upset they didnt already have a plan in place and have their guy to begin with. Look at Ohio State, Kansas, North Carolina, Southern Cal, Western Kentucky , etc. That's how universities with competent administrations handle situations like this. We bumble and fumble around looking like the ugly girl at the dance no one wants to be seen with.

I forget who said it...it was several years back...I think it was a college AD, but maybe not...but they said "Always have a Rolodex full of names on your desk." The point being, no matter what your coaching situation is, always have a list of people you plan to reach out to if someone leaves. Sounded like good advice then, and now.

Who knows? Maybe CPF and/or CJP had that Rolodex, and they're still making phone calls. Time will tell.

Go Vols.

Its incompetent to not already have him lined up. This vetting process should've already taken place. Like I said in another thread, if you think this staff only knew about Helton leaving 10 days ago you're nuts!
He interviewed candidates who were still working. That's more competent than just picking one without exploring options. Look at the bigger picture

Reactions: AM64
The NegaVol portion of our fanbase loves to get worked up in times like these. It gives them ammunition to moan that Pruitt is a donkey for not hiring Freeze.

Here’s a good question though. What if Freeze said NO already and it was partly because of our fan base?

Would they ever admit it or believe it? Not saying I’m right BUT they never talk about it without deflecting immediately.

Reactions: slickvol

When Western Kentucky had to task your permission to talk to your OC about their open head coach position, and he's announced as the HC two days after they fired the former head coach.

Yeah it's incompetence to not have started the preliminary OC search work earlier.

Rush has been in high school football for such a long time, it would be a gamble to bring him on as an OC at this point.

When Western Kentucky had to task your permission to talk to your OC about their open head coach position, and he's announced as the HC two days after they fired the former head coach.

Yeah it's incompetence to not have started the preliminary OC search work earlier.
Wku sets the standard now? Figured we would want to shoot higher than that

Serious question here for those upset at this time about no statement thus far.

**We landed a very good recruit without the OC named. One good RB just decommitted from Michigan and is a heavy lean towards the good guys. That means it’s not fully effecting recruitment at this time.

**The gel that needs to be made with the staff and the new OC could very well be a situation of whether CJP is successful or fired. Why not give him time to make an educated decision after looking at all possibilities first?

**look at the guys we wanted badly last year saying it was doom and gloom if we didn’t get them. Outside of Mullen (whom some didn’t want here) everyone else was barely par or worse imo (I might be missing someone).

I think sometimes we think we can expect things that is not our business. As fans we have the right to expect a good hire that shows improvement. Outside of that shouldn’t we let him use his knowledge to make a very educated hire.

Added question: Why do some think that if we don’t hire who they deem the only choice then we are going to suck? What if said person turned us down? Not because of money but because of what they consider “unrealistic expectations” and not because of the expectations we have but because of how quick our fan base turns on people. I know, I know... every school has it. Let me ask this: how many coaches have we ran out of town in the last 11 years? Yes a lot or all were warranted but we started screaming for their heads early just about every time causing some to lose heart under pressure, which is human nature no matter the money in it as many constantly point out. . My point is expectations is to be present but with social media I think it hasn’t worked positively for us. Some it has.

Just because 1 recruit committed without an OC doesn't mean they will all feel that way... The recruit that committed is for 2020, so he has a whole year to change his mind. If he was a 2019 recruit, he would probably be taking it a little more seriously.

Reactions: Jack Burton
He interviewed candidates who were still working. That's more competent than just picking one without exploring options. Look at the bigger picture
And yet here we are, still without an OC, despite having the vacancy longer than anyone. All while other programs are busy either hiring or courting the same candidates we should've already offered.

Reactions: Nerwen Aldarion
Here’s a good question though. What if Freeze said NO already and it was partly because of our fan base?

Would they ever admit it or believe it? Not saying I’m right BUT they never talk about it without deflecting immediately.

Every SEC school not named Vandy has an enthusiastic fanbase. No coach is bypassing us because we're too passionate or some crap like that. Win and we love you. Lose and we hate you. We aren't unique in that regard.

And yet here we are, still without an OC, despite having the vacancy longer than anyone. All while other programs are busy either hiring or courting the same candidates we should've already offered.
You know we've made no offers? Do you want to hire an OC no one else wants? Who have we missed it on at this point?

LOL

But seriously, if that was the case he's not going to last anywhere in the SEC. Except maybe Vandy.

Reactions: Probably_in_Class
On the flip side of that argument, think of the HC we would have had if the fans didn't cause a fuss.

This is a business and the fans are the customer IMO... We know WHAT we want; sometimes we think we know the HOW in achieving that, and start deciding which coaches can get us there, but the goal is the WHAT and we have no control over the HOW even though we like to think we do at times.

Wku sets the standard now? Figured we would want to shoot higher than that

WKU had to ask our permission to talk to Helton, and what coordinator is going to turn down a multi-million dollar pay raise, and a bump to HC? It's not like we're expecting Fulmer to predict the winner of the Super Bowl here, it's basic college football admin.

On the flip side of that argument, think of the HC we would have had if the fans didn't cause a fuss.

This is a business and the fans are the customer IMO... We know WHAT we want; sometimes we think we know the HOW in achieving that, and start deciding which coaches can get us there, but the goal is the WHAT and we have no control over the HOW even though we like to think we do at times.

Fans didn't scuttle Shiano. The money men and politicians did.

Reactions: utvolpj
How? Who have we lost at this point?

Kingsbury if you want to be technical, though he obviously wasn't super on our radar. Lindsey as a possible candidate as well.
You're missing the point though. A week ago, we were hunting an OC. Now us, FSU, Auburn, Bama, UNC, and USC and Kansas (who both already made a hire) are hunting an OC. How on earth do you not see that as problematic?

I'm not upset that they're not "rushing" to hire someone. I'm upset they didnt already have a plan in place and have their guy to begin with. Look at Ohio State, Kansas, North Carolina, Southern Cal, Western Kentucky , etc. That's how universities with competent administrations handle situations like this. We bumble and fumble around looking like the ugly girl at the dance no one wants to be seen with.
Let me get this straight.
Ohio State Defensive coordinator? (Quote - The hiring had been rumored for weeks, and OSU made it official through a statement.) That is weeks, not days.
Kansas hired one of the coordinators that no one wanted here - Chip Lindsey
North Carolina - Mack Brown? Not relevant in awhile
USC - Kliff Kingsbury? I saw several posts stating he wasn't a splashy enough hire here.
Western Kentucky? - They hired our Offensive Coordinator that several less than intelligent posters on this site said was terrible.

Please explain how any of these (with the exception of Kingsbury) are even remotely superstar hires?

VN Store

Back