'19 FL QB Brian Maurer (Tennessee signee)

I really don't think Freeze is one and done. I think its at minimum 2 years. Folks are still going to be hesitant to make him a head coach again imo, at least for a little while.

This is my view. He’s in career rehab mode. Probably no power 5 offers for him for at least 2/3 years... and if he gets one that soon it means he’s been successful with us. Not dissimilar from Kiffin going to Bama.

Reactions: Bassmaster_Vol
This is my view. He’s in career rehab mode. Probably no power 5 offers for him for at least 2/3 years... and if he gets one that soon it means he’s been successful with us. Not dissimilar from Kiffin going to Bama.
I mean, he couldn’t even get the WKY job over Tyson Helton.

Plus he did good at a camp once and someone wrote an article about it. That and good highlight results are much better indicators of success than experience.

Dunno how much experience JG got, didn’t see many receivers in stride making catches down the field and scoring touchdowns.... also didn’t see him picking up any yards on the ground with his legs... you know his big -94 yds rushing.... oh and his QB Rating for just the SEC QBs we played was so good you know..... (out of the 8 SEC QBs we faced he was 6th best - only beating Kentucky and Auburn’s QBs in QB Rating)

So is Bailey the #1 ranked 5* QB of the 20 class..I didn't know that, I thought he was a 4*...

Bailey is ranked #2 in 2020 behind a monster QB out of Cali. 4* now but will end up being a 5* depending on which service you follow. ESPN has him criminally underrated at around #115. He’s already close to a 5* ranking on Rivals with momentum towards a bump up...

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
Dunno how much experience JG got, didn’t see many receivers in stride making catches down the field and scoring touchdowns.... also didn’t see him picking up any yards on the ground with his legs... you know his big -94 yds rushing.... oh and his QB Rating for just the SEC QBs we played was so good you know..... (out of the 8 SEC QBs we faced he was 5th best - only beating Kentucky and Auburn’s QBs in QB Rating)
Exactly! And we've never seen Shrout or Maurer have any negative plays on their highlights or against collegiate competition, so they must be better right now!

However, it's absurd to think that the QB play we saw this season may simply be the reality of where our roster will be (barring a GT QB who actually brings something to the table) QB-wise until the OL is much improved and some younger QBs have had time and a steady environment for development.

Reactions: k-town_king
Exactly! And we've never seen Shrout or Maurer have any negative plays on their highlights or against collegiate competition, so they must be better right now!

However, it's absurd to think that the QB play we saw this season may simply be the reality of where our roster will be (barring a GT QB who actually brings something to the table) QB-wise until the OL is much improved and some younger QBs have had time and a steady environment for development.

I’m going off of Shrouts movement from scout team to the 3rd string. They did not need to make that move before the end of the season, but they did. That is telling to me.

I’m not saying he is better by anything I’ve seen, because I haven’t seen anything. But, Honestly what is JGs upside after 3 years in the program? How much can he change in another year?

I think the spot is either Shrouts or Maurers to take. (Unless JG has a miraculous spring)

Bailey is ranked #2 in 2020 behind a monster QB out of Cali. That kid is really good but Bailey will end up being a 5* depending on which service you follow. ESPN has him way underrated. He’s already close to a 5* ranking on Rivals. Anything in the mid to lower 20s will be a 5* there.
It's hard to say with QBs this early in the game. Justin Fields was ranked really low at this point in his Jr year. Emory Jones was considered the cream of the crop among DT QBs. Camps and senior film usually shake up the rankings pretty well.

It's hard to say with QBs this early in the game. Justin Fields was ranked really low at this point in his Jr year. Emory Jones was considered the cream of the crop among DT QBs. Camps and senior film usually shake up the rankings pretty well.

Bailey has been camping since he was 9 years old. He’s mature beyond his years. He reminds me of Matt Barkley.

Last edited:
Reactions: nesbuddha66
I’m going off of Shrouts movement from scout team to the 3rd string. They did not need to make that move before the end of the season, but they did. That is telling to me.

Shrout jumping McBride isn't all that impressive, really. Both McBride and Shrout saw the same number of snaps this year. If they'd started giving him snaps late in the season once JG was hobbled, I'd be more optimistic about him having a legitimate chance to be more than a backup. The fact that they chose to play a guy with two bad knees, a bad shoulder, and a banged up collarbone and ribs even when games were out of hand is telling.

I’m not saying he is better by anything I’ve seen, because I haven’t seen anything. But, Honestly what is JGs upside after 3 years in the program? How much can he change in another year?

That's a pretty shallow way to look at it, though. The question isn't whether or not JG can take his game to another level. It's whether, behind an OL that doesn't project to be much better, it's reasonable to expect freshmen to put us in a better position than JG. At this point, there's no reason to expect that. JG hasn't been great, but he's shown he can be a game manager who limits turnovers and Pruitt has shown that he values that.

There's also the issue of what is better for the development of Shrout and Maurer: being brought along slowly or being thrown to the dogs before they're truly ready.

I think the spot is either Shrouts or Maurers to take. (Unless JG has a miraculous spring)

Sure, the guy that Pruitt showed consistent (and at times somewhat baffling) support for throughout 2018 will need a miracle this spring to be named starter :rolleyes:

Bailey has been camping since he was 11 years old and a prominent QB coach who has given him private lessons has come out with that statement: best QB he’s seen in 2019 or 2020. I agree with him. Deep ball is there, moxy, been there done that attitude, great awareness and best attribute is ability to read and recognize defenses and BLITZ packages (cough cough JG).
Yeah but you never know with QBs how exactly things will shake out. Sometimes guys spend every summer camping and getting trained by professionals from the time they're in middle school and they peak really early. Sometimes guys spend the offseason playing basketball and baseball come on much later in the recruiting game.

I get hope springing eternal for fans and all. I'd love for Shrout to take a massive step forward over the offseason and become the guy or for Maurer to be a freshman sensation starting the day he sets foot on campus. Personally, I don't see JG improving much from what he currently is unless we get impeccable OL play. A young guy stepping up and being a game changer at QB is our ideal situation (other than the potential worry of JG transferring and us being stuck with only 2 scholarship QBs for 2019).

But right now there's no real reason to expect that to happen. Maybe spring ball will change that, but it just seems silly to assume JG won't be our starter next year. Pruitt seems pretty set on JG for the time being.

Bailey is ranked #2 in 2020 behind a monster QB out of Cali. That kid is really good but Bailey will end up being a 5* depending on which service you follow. ESPN has him way underrated. He’s already close to a 5* ranking on Rivals. Anything in the mid to lower 20s will be a 5* there.
We use 247

I know he is really good, all I'm saying is so is Maurer. When you take into account Maurers obvious growth in his SR year it shows that he has a really high ceiling...his potential is not tapped out. He may really surprise people at how good he could be..including you.

Yeah but you never know with QBs how exactly things will shake out. Sometimes guys spend every summer camping and getting trained by professionals from the time they're in middle school and they peak really early. Sometimes guys spend the offseason playing basketball and baseball come on much later in the recruiting game.
This is why I think Maurer is unique..he jumped big time this year, I think he is starting to scratch the surface of his potential.

tenor.gif
Oh come on man..it's not like I spout craziness all the time. I just say some things that people don't like.
This is how we see you, McGill...

😂

VN Store

Back