Report: Top two candidates for OC are Lindsay and Eli Drinkwitz (Football Scoop)

Dave Doeren on Drinkwitz

“HE’S GOT PLAYS OFF OF PLAYS,” DOEREN SAID. “HE KNOWS WHAT HE’S LOOKING FOR WITHIN THE PLAY CALL FOR THE NEXT CALL. INSTEAD OF JUST CALLING A PLAY, I THINK HE’S LOOKING AT HOW YOU’RE DEFENDING IT AND KNOWS HOW TO ADJUST QUICKLY.
“THAT’S ONE THING I REALLY LIKE. IF WE’RE GOING TO BE IN A FORMATION, WE’RE GOING TO HAVE FOUR OR FIVE THINGS THAT’S GOING TO COME OUT OF IT BASED ON HOW THEY DEFEND IT AS OPPOSED TO ‘HEY, THEY DID A GOOD JOB, IT DIDN’T WORK.’ AT LEAST HE HAS THE ANSWERS I LIKE, WHERE YOU CAN HAVE A PLAY TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF HOW THEY’RE PLAYING IT.”
Well that was a head spinner......

Wah, because my team isnt hiring exactly who I want my team obviously has given up. Go duck yourself dude

So you’ve been satisfied with our hires over the last decade?

I think that’s the issue we have. The admin has reached on most of these candidates and they’ve been flops. We’re hoping they don’t do the same yet again.

They're useful to evaluate the those stats in a better context. On a per possession basis and discounted for garbage time and weighted based on the quality of the opponent. Putting up big numbers against terrible defenses in the MWC is great especially when you can lay them on in garbage time. But that's not very relavent to the SEC. Now the ACC is a different story. And I've noted that they've had a very good offense. How much of that is because they have an NFL QB or is because they have a great OC?

So the quality of the program he’s coordinating is secondary? We’ve seen quality talent fall short due to coaching...and recently. 😉

What standards did you wiki? Let’s break a 3 game losing streak to Vandy before we hire NFL OC’s out from under their nose.

I have come to expect mediocre hires by Tennessee. And if Drinkwitz gets hired, thats what it will be. Although my gut still tells me he will eventually just promote Friend. So Freeze or Briles are NFL OCs? Alrighty then.

So you’ve been satisfied with our hires over the last decade?

I think that’s the issue we have. The admin has reached on most of these candidates and they’ve been flops. We’re hoping they don’t do the same yet again.

The CANDIDATES we hired “reached”. Admin didn’t hire Larry Scott or Sal Sunseri. This is going to be Pruitt’s call. If it fizzles you can keep your streak of told-you-so’ing active...if it hits, you’re not going to have a purpose in life. 😏

Dave Doeren on Drinkwitz

“HE’S GOT PLAYS OFF OF PLAYS,” DOEREN SAID. “HE KNOWS WHAT HE’S LOOKING FOR WITHIN THE PLAY CALL FOR THE NEXT CALL. INSTEAD OF JUST CALLING A PLAY, I THINK HE’S LOOKING AT HOW YOU’RE DEFENDING IT AND KNOWS HOW TO ADJUST QUICKLY.
“THAT’S ONE THING I REALLY LIKE. IF WE’RE GOING TO BE IN A FORMATION, WE’RE GOING TO HAVE FOUR OR FIVE THINGS THAT’S GOING TO COME OUT OF IT BASED ON HOW THEY DEFEND IT AS OPPOSED TO ‘HEY, THEY DID A GOOD JOB, IT DIDN’T WORK.’ AT LEAST HE HAS THE ANSWERS I LIKE, WHERE YOU CAN HAVE A PLAY TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF HOW THEY’RE PLAYING IT.”

That's just basic play scripting based on tendencies and in game adjustments -- part of every offensive coordinator's job duties. If this is somehow groundbreaking or special to Doeren as some kind of selling point, let both of them stay up in North Carolina far away from Tennessee football.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
I have come to expect mediocre hires by Tennessee. And if Drinkwitz gets hired, thats what it will be. Although my gut still tells me he will eventually just promote Friend. So Freeze or Briles are NFL OCs? Alrighty then.
Results pending. If the hire knocks it out of the park, the hire will be great. Cart running away from the horse alert.

So the quality of the program he’s coordinating is secondary? We’ve seen quality talent fall short due to coaching...and recently. 😉
No, it's critical to the context as well. That's why I look at the surrounding years so that it's relative. Boise State's offensive efficiency was better in the years before and after the year he was there. Same thing at Arkansas St.

No, it's critical to the context as well. That's why I look at the surrounding years so that it's relative. Boise State's offensive efficiency was better in the years before and after the year he was there. Same thing at Arkansas St.

How was the talent differential? You grade that too?

VN Store

Back