*****Tennessee Football Coaching Search BIG BOARD [updated 12.4 10:47 am]

I hate to break it to you Fedora-riders, but he just got a $12M buyout.... He is about to pull a Butch Jones and go "intern" somewhere and collect those checks.

Freak will pop me good if I troll, so I won’t. But y’all know, if this happens, it will be the most hilarious thing to happen in the UF-UT rivalry since the 2013 game where both teams put on their best Benny Hill Show performance. 😂

Is it too early to start the Gruden for OC threads? I hear he owns land here.

If I'm setting odds on most likely:

1. Will Friend/Weinke/Niedermeyer/Osovet. Pruitt reorganizing his staff in some way and promoting from within is overwhelmingly likely.
2. Chip Lindsey
3. Dan Enos

Long shots:
Freddie Kitchens
Bryan McClendon

No chance:
Freeze
Kingsbury

Reactions: VolinMC
Better tell that to Pruitt. But seriously, I would NOT wish this on Vol Nation. 😂

I fully expect him to be Schiano’ed as soon as word circulates around Vol Nation that Sharkhumper is being strongly considered.
Why? Nobody affiliated with Tennessee Football and no credible news outlet whatsoever has event hinted that McElwain to Tennessee is a possibility. He was fired from Florida because his offense sucked. Move along.

1. Will Friend/Weinke/Niedermeyer/Osovet. Pruitt reorganizing his staff in some way and promoting from within is overwhelmingly likely.
2. Chip Lindsey
3. Dan Enos

Long shots:
Freddie Kitchens
Bryan McClendon

No chance:
Freeze
Kingsbury

I've seen a lot of people predicting #1. I think that's just leftover BVS. CJP isn't CBJ and he has Fulmer backing him. I think they both want to turn this thing around as quickly as possible. This is CJPs shot to prove himself as a legit HC and Fulmer's shot to bring UT back to glory. I thing they throw everything they can at a big name. I think #1 is a last resort type scenario.

I've seen a lot of people predicting #1. I think that's just leftover BVS. CJP isn't CBJ and he has Fulmer backing him. I think they both want to turn this thing around as quickly as possible. This is CJPs shot to prove himself as a legit HC and Fulmer's shot to bring UT back to glory. I thing they throw everything they can at a big name. I think #1 is a last resort type scenario.
Pruitt, just like most coaches, builds staffs with guys he knows and has worked with before. It isn't in his nature to go outside the organization and really shake something up with a hire, especially after a single season and he wants to keep some measure of staff continuity.

I think Friend gets it because of the relationship with Pruitt and he has been an OC before. It's a very logical, albeit underwhelming and unexciting, choice. I think the most Pruitt would rock the boat would be if he went out and got Lindsey or Enos. Freeze or Kingsbury coming here is about as likely as Gruden coming here.

Why would Freeze take a risk at Auburn? It's possible Gus might be gone next year. The only upside of that risk is that Auburn might put him in as HC. If he's wanting to get back to being a HC then I guess Auburn might be his best and quickest path. If he's looking to rehabilitate his image before trying a HC job again then UT is where he needs to go.
He knows if Gus is fired, he’s first in line to replace him. If Freeze is hired, he will bring his own guys for the offensive staff, don’t see him keeping anyone on that side.

Pruitt, just like most coaches, builds staffs with guys he knows and has worked with before. It isn't in his nature to go outside the organization and really shake something up with a hire, especially after a single season and he wants to keep some measure of staff continuity.

I think Friend gets it because of the relationship with Pruitt and he has been an OC before. It's a very logical, albeit underwhelming and unexciting, choice. I think the most Pruitt would rock the boat would be if he went out and got Lindsey or Enos. Freeze or Kingsbury coming here is about as likely as Gruden coming here.

It will feel like Butch 2.0 if he does what you're saying and I'll be very disappointed. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Reactions: MaTaLa
"Freeze has very real interest in the job. There's no question about that. I think the fundamental question is what kind of offense does Pruitt want to play." - Brent Hubbs

My answer if I was CJP is "the kind that scores points". Going 3 and out every series wears defenses down just as bad as quick scoring offenses. One puts points on the board and the other doesn't.

2. Chip Lindsey
3. Dan Enos

Long shots:
Freddie Kitchens
Bryan McClendon

No chance:
Freeze
Kingsbury
Options 2 and 3 are solid choices. Lindsey will be fired from Auburn shortly so he is looking to jump. My choice would be Enos, over Freeze or Kingsbury. He is very good, neither Freeze or Kingsbury is an offensive fit or staff fit. Kliff is a good fit at NC bc Brown is going to be the CEO and be hands off, we know Pruitt won’t be. Same goes for Freeze, he has a big ego and will want full control of the offense including personnel.

I'm good with Freeze or Kliff. Leaning Freeze as he has proven he can beat Bama and is familiar with the SEC. What are the chances of the SEC commissioner allowing him to coach again? As I understand it we will have to have their blessing to hire him. Anyone know if anyone has officially tried to hire him (not just had him as a leading candidate) and tried to get him cleared? If they had I'm assuming it was a NO from the commish.
Sankey asked Saban not to hire Freeze as co-offensive coordinator, as it would look bad for the conference to have Freeze coaching, while Ole Miss was on probation. I think it would be possible, but Freeze is already under contract with Arizona Firebirds, a new football league that I think starts in 2019

Last edited:
Options 2 and 3 are solid choices. Lindsey will be fired from Auburn shortly so he is looking to jump. My choice would be Enos, over Freeze or Kingsbury. He is very good, neither Freeze or Kingsbury is an offensive fit or staff fit. Kliff is a good fit at NC bc Brown is going to be the CEO and be hands off, we know Pruitt won’t be. Same goes for Freeze, he has a big ego and will want full control of the offense including personnel.
I agree. We could do much worse than Enos. He also runs an offense that is more in line with what Pruitt/Fulmer want.

Why would Freeze take a risk at Auburn? It's possible Gus might be gone next year. The only upside of that risk is that Auburn might put him in as HC. If he's wanting to get back to being a HC then I guess Auburn might be his best and quickest path. If he's looking to rehabilitate his image before trying a HC job again then UT is where he needs to go.
Either way, we'd be replacing him soon. But I'd take him now unless there is someone better. Just don't want to see a promotion from within, or an unproven hire here. Capitalize please

Reactions: MaTaLa
Freeze may not be able to get past the SEC
Also he had trouble beating Vandy
Fwiw, Hubbs said he doesn't think the SEC can block it. He said last year was different.

2. Chip Lindsey
3. Dan Enos

Long shots:
Freddie Kitchens
Bryan McClendon

No chance:
Freeze
Kingsbury
Will Friend would be a travesty of a hire and would be code for "we have no idea what we are doing we are just here for the free money".

VN Store

Back