Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recruiting is week to week, if not day to day, so probably no reason to get to low..... but it sure feels like we're polar opposite of where we were a week ago.

Logue re-affirmed his UGA commitment and will sign early.
Javonta Payton is going to Mississippi State.
Justin Eboigba really just seems to be pandering to fan bases. And we seem kind of desperate, offering PWOs' to whomever we ask him to.
Crouch is Clemson bound, albeit not official.
Haselwoods interest in us, real or perceived, has passed and hes' not an option anymore.
Harrison Bailey is allegedly Michigan bound, if you believe the VQ guys.

And I feel like I'm forgetting one or two...

Fortunately I do think we finish the class with the following:

Eric Gray
Darnell Wright
Owen Pappoe
Kenyatta Watson
Khafre Brown
Trezmen Marshall (hard to get a read on this kid, but I think the Sherrer connection gets him here)

Also, Jalil Clemons and Roman Harrison received ratings bumps, which should appease the star watchers.

Would be beyond thrilled with that finish and anybody who wouldn't is full of chief.

Agree. Whether Leach would have been success in Knoxville, I don't know, but I do know his stops at Tx Tech and WSU have shown we should not have expected a quick fix if he had come to UT.

He took over a TT team in 2000 that went 6-5 in 1999 and went 7-5 regular season his first season, then repeated 7-5 in 2001, then won either 8 or 9 games every season until 2008 before finally breaking 10 wins to get to 11-2. So it took 8 seasons to get there. He then went 8-4 in the 2009.

He took over a WSU program in 2012 that went 4-8 (2-7) in 2011 and went 3-9 (1-8) his first season. 6-7 is 2nd season, then back to 3-9 his 3rd season (not sure he would have seen a 4th season at UT based on what happened to Dooley). His WSU team finally started showing some life in season 4, going 9-4, but then 8-5 and 9-4 in Seasons 5-6 before finally having his first really good season this season, which is Season 7.
yeah, i think at best Leach would have been an 8 win coach here.

I would imagine a guy like Trey would continue to do everything he could to find his way back onto the field until a doctor officially forbids it.

You may be right, but I doubt it. He could essentially have a blood clot break loose in his leg and hit his lungs. He would be dead within a minute. That's how serious it is.

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
Are these guys not supposed to be these great teachers of the game? We're past game 11 and these guys still don't have it? I find it hard to accept that our guys are physically untalented and are dummies too. At some point the coaches have to be held accountable. I'm not calling fo heads. All I'm saying is my confidence is low. I still have hope.
There a lot of physically untalented, mentally unmotivated, and football stupid players on this roster. You just don't want to give up your moral high ground and call it what is. It makes you feel better to think and say the coaching staff sucks, than admitting too many players, for too many disparate reasons do...

I get that, I really do, I even admire it, but it's not honest imo.

Reactions: BoseefusTheVol
IDT anything has really changed in recruiting for UT. Our commits are still solid, a WR we slow-played reserved his spot elsewhere to no one's surprise, the long shots stayed long shots, the guys who came for a free visit had a good time and spoke highly of our coaches and the direction of the program, the guys who didn't plan to visit didn't visit, the recruits we have a decent shot at flipping are still listening and the recruits who were swayed by an ugly loss weren't ever realistic prospects for a rebuild.

I'm encouraged. The dominos could be falling the wrong way, and so far, they're not.

There a lot of physically untalented, mentally unmotivated, and football stupid players on this roster. You just don't want to give up your moral high ground and call it what is. It makes you feel better to think and say the coaching staff sucks, than admitting too many players, for too many disparate reasons do...

You certainly are not in a position to state these things as fact. No one really knows the "mental makeup" of these guys on a day to day basis.

I am not for getting rid of anyone either, but we can still be somewhat cautious about some of the coaching. I am really am not concerned about the defensive side.

Reactions: ChismsHeadband
IDT anything has really changed in recruiting for UT. Our commits are still solid, a WR we slow-played reserved his spot elsewhere to no one's surprise, the long shots stayed long shots, the guys who came for a free visit had a good time and spoke highly of our coaches and the direction of the program, the guys who didn't plan to visit didn't visit, the recruits we have a decent shot at flipping are still listening and the recruits who were swayed by an ugly loss weren't ever realistic prospects for a rebuild.

I'm encouraged. The dominos could be falling the wrong way, and so far, they're not.
Yes!

Reactions: SugarCC
Dec 7, 2017 was 13 days before the first ESD, which was Dec. 20, 2017. 13 days. Even with the kids that didn't sign on ESD, February 7, 2018 was only 8 weeks out from CJP's hiring. I would consider that a relatively short amount of time. Even with a lot of the kids CJP may have already had a relationship with while recruiting them to Bama, that is a difficult task to suddenly try to convince kids you have been recruiting to a dynasty to follow you to a team that just went winless in the SEC.

It is a bit different now, because players have seen this year's Vols win some SEC games, which were both upsets of ranked teams, they get to visit and see how this staff conducts practices, they get to see the players interact with each other, they see how players and staff interact. It is much easier to recruit now that CJP and the staff are familiar with their surroundings at UT, are familiar with each other, and familiar with the players, things that weren't there in that short window after CJP was hired.
There is also a dead period in there as well.

Reactions: StoVol and SugarCC

And I think the opposite is true as well. Saying it's all the players is mentally lazy, IMO. I think there's blame to be spread all around. I think Pruitt would agree with me.

I had 3 large ones inside my lungs. They kept me knocked out in ICU so they would not go to my brain. I don't understand what you mean by "hitting the lungs".

If you look how the anatomy of blood flow works, the deep veins in the legs are most likely where his clots are forming. It's the most common place for them to come from. They are pumped through one side of the heart to the lungs for the blood to be oxygenated. If that circulation pathway is blocked by a big enough clot it will cause damage to the lung that is extremely lethal. If the clot forms in the lungs, it's pumped through the other side of the heart and sent back out to the arteries. Those blood clots usually go straight to the brain and cause death by a stroke. Irregardless, I would not play again if I were him. It's not being talked about publicly, but he has to have some kind of blood disorder that is causing the threat of it occurring again. I am not a Cardiologist, but that's a solid throw of crap on the wall to see what sticks.

You can be unhappy with the results and go back and say coaching was the problem. But how many times have we seen a decent play call and our players don’t execute.

We don’t have enough quality players.

Muschamp may have adjusted, and we may have lost because Helton does in fact suck at his job. I’ve just seen plenty of games this year and thought “ great play call”. Usually the bad plays are because our players can’t even block the guy in front of them.

Everyone is frustrated at losing, but coaches are not the problem in year 1. We do not have a good football team. That’s it. Everyone in the know reiterates it every week. I’m honestly beyond shocked we beat auburn on the road and Kentucky. If he beats Vanderbilt this season will be a success. We aren’t good anymore, and we won’t be until someone recruits and coaches well for more than 2 years.

I was gonna reply, but @Memphisvol87 here says it better than I could @VolGee4.

And I think the opposite is true as well. Saying it's all the players is mentally lazy, IMO. I think there's blame to be spread all around. I think Pruitt would agree with me.

I thought you two had already leg wrestled this point into oblivion?

So if we fans who say there are obvious coaching problems express it, we are the problem? Is that the gist of the response from some of you? OK. Then what happens with your opinions when CJP makes changes in his staff in the future and possibly soon?

Most of us are not calling for any current coaches to be gone. We know its a process that takes time when you are a bottom feeder program. But CJP may since he's the boss and his highly paid job is dependent on getting it right so they can win at a high level in the future.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
you know as i remember back to what i wanted etc...for a coach, i caught myself defending Mullen more than i thought i would.

to me he made the most sense, he checked all the boxes. still, i wasn't 100%. more like 80%. part of that was i didn't think we were going after, nor would we get, guys like Patterson, Peterson etc..... i was very high on Scott Frost, but i didn't think he'd come here over UF or Nebraska. gruden was never a consideration in my mind, just to get that out of the way.

anywho, bottom line, we didn't handle the search well at all. it was ill conceived, and even more poorly executed.

at the end of the day, with how it all turned out, i think we probably did the best we could with what we had to work with. i think we probalby got Pruitt a year or two ahead of schedule ( as far as when he might be the next "hot commodity" as a HC candidate).

i've seen things i really like this year. and i've seen some things that i didn't. if i had to add it up, there's more in the former column, than the latter.

all that to say, it's going to be 2-3 years before we see antyhinng close to a finished product. and that just sucks. and it'd be true no matter who the coach would be.
I don't understand how the 'search' was such a bungled job. Was it really one mega booster who'd called the shot? The mega booster who wanted Schiano makes for a good story and gives everyone a target to project on but I'm not sure that any one person gets to make that call. I think another possibility is that the AD really didn't expect to fire CBJ last year. Maybe Currie wasn't ready to hire a new hfc and just made a bunch of mistakes? Then, of course, is the depressing thought that in a year where a lot of good programs had openings, nobody with options wanted to come here either because we're too cheap, too unrealistic in our expectations, or just too plain ole sucky. All I know is we sucked a year ago and we still suck now. Maybe we'll have a really good recruiting class and suck a little less next season, or maybe not. Life of a Vols fan.

I never said it's all on the players, first of all it isn't "all" the players..just too many to hide.

Second of all I know there are coaching mistakes made by this staff, hell every freaking coach that ever lived makes big mistakes, all the greatest did and do, but not in teaching fundamentals. I just don't buy that good teachers suddenly became bad..I said this the last two years about Shoop...looks like I wasn't wrong there...common denominator...this roster.

Reactions: Bret178
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back